Using a stand alone gas heater

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not really anything to do with caravans, but thought I would ask the question. We live in a rural area and on occasions have cuts to our electric supply which normally happens in the winter. Sometimes they are less than 30 minutes, but on one or two occasions it has been 3 or more 4 hours. In the summer it is not an issue, but in the winter the temperature in the home can drop quite a bit in 3 - 4 hours despite good insulation, but not to the stage where it is freezing. Our home heating is air source using electric.

We do have a gas heater and we are aware of the dangers of using it in a confined space. If we have to use it, the gas heater is in the lounge area, all inside doors are open and the top windows in the bathroom and bedroom are open. We tend to switch on the heater for about 15 - 20 minutes at a time to take the chill off the air.

Obviously it would be better if we could run the gas heater continuously on low rather than the "on off mode" currently being used by us, but the danger is a concern. We would never have it running when we go to bed. Can any one offer any better solutions to our dilemma in the event we have a long power cut on a very cold day?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not really anything to do with caravans, but thought I would ask the question. We live in a rural area and on occasions have cuts to our electric supply which normally happens in the winter. Sometimes they are less than 30 minutes, but on one or two occasions it has been 3 or more 4 hours. In the summer it is not an issue, but in the winter the temperature in the home can drop quite a bit in 3 - 4 hours despite good insulation, but not to the stage where it is freezing. Our home heating is air source using electric.

We do have a gas heater and we are aware of the dangers of using it in a confined space. If we have to use it, the gas heater is in the lounge area, all inside doors are open and the top windows in the bathroom and bedroom are open. We tend to switch on the heater for about 15 - 20 minutes at a time to take the chill off the air.

Obviously it would be better if we could run the gas heater continuously on low rather than the "on off mode" currently being used by us, but the danger is a concern. We would never have it running when we go to bed. Can any one offer any better solutions to our dilemma in the event we have a long power cut on a very cold day?
If you have a CO monitor installed as per recommendation there should be no problem running it on low. You’ve taken sensible precautions re opening up within the home for ventilation.

The other would be an external generator to power the air source heater.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you have a CO monitor installed as per recommendation there should be no problem running it on low. You’ve taken sensible precautions re opening up within the home for ventilation.

The other would be an external generator to power the air source heater.

We have thought of a generator, but the cost did not warrant the outlay for something that might happen. We have never thought of having a CO monitor installed as we are not on gas, but it is a thought if we are using the gas heater.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have thought of a generator, but the cost did not warrant the outlay for something that might happen. We have never thought of having a CO monitor installed as we are not on gas, but it is a thought if we are using the gas heater.
Essential theses days. Although years ago when we had a freestanding gas heater they were never even mentioned and not the sort of thing that you would see in DIY shops. Caravans never had them either. But you did occasionally read of fatalities in homes caused by gas heaters. But most people are more aware these days.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Might be warmer in the caravan with the blown air heating and a kettle for a cuppa on the gas ring if you have access to it at home!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I agree with OC's answer,

But I do need to address the implication of the statement I've quoted, and it does have relevance to caravans as well. We often read of people who consider a gas appliance to be safe to use during the day but not at night. This belief is one that could lead to the user being harmed.

The fact is for any gas appliance that is unsafe to use at night, exactly the same dangers are present if its used during the day. The difference is some of the dangers may be mitigated by normal daytime activities, but there is the possibility those activities might not be carried out by everybody, so these heaters need to be treated with great care and forethought especially where children, the sedentary, elderly or infirm are concerned.

The prime concern is the amount of Carbon Monoxide (CO) the heater produces and where it it is released. Cabinet heaters (technically called unflued appliances) release all their products of combustion into the space where they are located.

A properly maintained and used heater will produce water vapour a small amount of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) and a much smaller amount of Carbon Monoxide (CO) when provided with free flowing fresh air for combustion. When used in a well ventilated space this should not be a problem.

However If the ventilation is, or becomes restricted, then over time an increasing proportion of the heaters flue products will be re-ingested by the heater, and the chemical properties of combustion means that with less pure air for burning the heater will produce a greater proportion of CO in its flue products, and the proportion rises quite quickly if the re ingestion cycle is not broken.

Obviously this problem occurs more rapidly in a small volume like a caravan, but it could occur is a room of any size, it just might take longer. but in cold weather you are more likely to close a room up, potentially leading to restricted ventilation.

This can happen day or night!

In the UK there are accepted limits for the dose of CO exposure these are intensity and time related

Just close the point about caravans, In my view unflued cabinet style heaters are a no no in a touring caravan. However the correctly installed caravan heaters will be "room sealed" and again provided they are maintained properly they effectively separate the combustion tract from the room, its combustion air and products of combustion are only connected to the outside with no possibility of contaminating the living space air. As such these heaters are as safe to use day or night.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Buckman, I have a free standing " cabinet" gas heater that normally lives in the garage, with a 13kg Propane bottle, to heat the garage but also as an emergency heat source, in case of a power cut.

We have only used it a few times in emergency power cuts a few times. We would not use it when we go to bed and we do have a couple of Carbon Monoxide, sensors around the house and garage. I find our fire is great, I think mine was built in about 1982. I have replaced the rubber hose from the regulator (original) to the fire.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a word of advice.
For any gas burning appliance which has not been used for some time it is sensible to carry out very basic safety by making sure the burner is clear of any deposits like fluff, dust etc .
Use of a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush, or a blow with an air compressor is sufficient to clear most items.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This looks to be spam given the post by this OP in Model engine thread. Been reported

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts