Using credit cards at petrol stations

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Could anyone tell me if the only card that works at the petrol stations in France is a Mastercard credit card? As we are travelling on a Sunday we are worried about refuelling and the VISA chip and pin not working. Friends of ours have said that they have used a Mastercard credit card in unmanned petrol station in Holland, does it work in France? Or alternatively could anyone advise what credit card does work in an unmanned petrol station in France.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As far as I know only French bank cards will work in unmanned petrol stations.It seems that our chip and pin is not the same as French fries and pin. Most money machines accept our cards but I have given up trying at unmanned petrol stations.It is important to keep topped up and not leave it to the last drop.Several petrol stations have the machines that recognise bank notes (Euros)

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
I found it impossible to use the machines at unmanned stations in France last August (2004) I tried both Barclaycard Visa and Mastercard. I too was travelling on a Sunday, and only just reached the destination!! JSGJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pete, In my experience If travalling on main routes there is have no problem finding a manned station open on a Sunday.

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Pete, In my experience If travalling on main routes there is have no problem finding a manned station open on a Sunday.
Pete, we returned yesterday and spent a good two hours last Sunday trying to find a station open - couldn't get any of our cards to work in unmanned stations. Finally found a manned Esso station (by chance) open which took our card (Mastercard) with no problem - but not before we were starting to panic. Advice - top up as often as you can if travelling distances.

Ruth

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pete....follow all the advice from the others. When you get to half a tank start looking. I once found myself with the car computer showing 3 miles left and ended up looking on foot. I was lucky enough to find one close by and open but had to leave the van, wife and kids behind to fill up. I now do what I and others said, don't let your tank get to empty. You should be ok with stations that are open but I've never had any luck with my cards in the machines over there.

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One other point while we are talking credit cards. Let your card company know if you are going abroad and the dates. They often monitor card usage and if they see that there are a lot of cash withdrawals in Bordeau when the owner actually lives in Bolton, they will freeze the card. It is their attempt to clamp down on fraud.

If you give them a ring and tell them details of your proposed trip they will flag up your account and allow overseas withdrawals, subject to the usual limits.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pete, the French system is completely different to the rest of EU, you will not be able to use a chip N pin card at the pumps. You will find the odd petrol station open .............. fill up as soon as you can!

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site
The automatic payment pumps I found only accepted Carte Bleu - my Visa Chip 'n' Pin wouldn't work.

The time before last we were on our way down, it was about 1:00am, we were off of the Autoroute and there was not one petrol station open.

In the end we realised that we had to get back on the Autoroute and, lo and behold, we found a aire with fuel that was open - appropriately named "Gasville" :)

An odd thing happened on the way back - my wife used her Smile card to pay for some fuel at the till - and it went through using Chip 'n' Pin! I was very surprised, it was the only time I have ever seen a UK card work in France using Chip 'n' Pin.

Hopefully this is just the start, and things should start getting a lot easier for us Brits over the channel!

As said above, I stick to a rule when driving in france - get to half-full, fill up at the next station. If at night, stick to the Autoroute, so you know that you can get fuel if you need it.

Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
hi pete we have just returned from a 3 month stay and you will find that the petrol stations that only take cards will only accept french credit card that is issued by a french bank etc but you shouldn't find it a problem all the motorways have service stations that are maned have a wonderfull time as we did all the best jim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts