Using disposable gas canisters

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
I'm sure someone is going to identify a reason why I can't do this, but...

We use very little gas and I really can't carry a 2nd 6kg calor bottle. When the gas runs out I'll just exchange it for another one. However, it's bound to happen in the evening mid way through cooking dinner. It would be great if I could hook a disposable canister up to the van as a temporary measure and the replace with an exchange on the calor bottle the next day. To my mind this seems a great solution, but I'm sure I'm missing something?

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I also only have one 6KG propane tank onboard... but If you are worried about running out of gas and would like to use one of the disposable gas canisters as an emergency (cooking) back-up, you could purchase the burner/pot holder which attach directly to the canister.

I had this as a free gift a few years ago: Vango Ultralight gas stove

It weighs practically nothing and screws onto the gas canister rather than piercing the can type,(meaning you can remove it for storage) and works quite well. Personally I would purchase a slightly bigger version for more stability, but I have used it in the past to cook breakfast rather than setting up my old Campingaz Camping Chef.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We only carry one 6kg and can now quite accurately gauge when it requires changing just by lifting it. But we also carry portable Campinggaz cooker as we often like to make tea, or do bacon butties when out for the day. It uses readily obtainable ISO/EN canisters and has the advantage that if the van's cooker should give a problem then we still have a way of cooking something.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-Camp-Bistro-Gas-Stove/dp/B000Y854WC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524218792&sr=8-1&keywords=portable+gas+stoves

On trips where the sun may shine we also have the Cadac with its camping gas cylinder to fall back on too.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
We always have two 6kg bottles but also carry the disposable one to use with a single burner hob that we use outside, normally just to cook pasta / rice/pototo on when the rest of the meal is on the cadac. They are cheap as chips and very versatile along with being very efficient.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am lucky enough to still have two calor lite bottles and Calor in Bedford say there is no shortage of them. I also thought about changing to carrying a 3.9 kg bottle thinking it would save on weights. But have just checked on the weight specs and have been surprised.
Calor lite, empty weight, 4.1kg to 5kg. Full weight. 10.52 kg
Calor 3.9 , empty weight 4.1 to 8.6 kg. Full weight. 9 kg to 10.52 kg.
So I will just carry one lite bottle until its down to about 1/4 from empty then carry a full lite bottle as well.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
We carry just one Calor Lite 6Kg, but also acquired a Camping Gaz 907 which is quite light. I use this just for the BBQ, and so it is a back up should the main one run out. Its also handy to use in France where they are readily exchangeable.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Got a new 'lite' the other day, local supplier had plenty of 'Lites' in, and he said he was having difficulty getting 'heavy' 6's so much so he had complained to Calor and they said they were short of heavy sixes so sent him a load of 'Lites'. Sounds as though Calor are really making a real good job of it!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Got a new 'lite' the other day, local supplier had plenty of 'Lites' in, and he said he was having difficulty getting 'heavy' 6's so much so he had complained to Calor and they said they were short of heavy sixes so sent him a load of 'Lites'. Sounds as though Calor are really making a real good job of it!

Exactly the same as our dealer, and the Lites only sold at caravan places, or main dealer. They cnnot get the heaveys anymore. Whats going on.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
We carry just one Calor Lite 6Kg, but also acquired a Camping Gaz 907 which is quite light. I use this just for the BBQ, and so it is a back up should the main one run out. Its also handy to use in France where they are readily exchangeable.

Have you checked how much a Camping gas 907 cylinder refill costs 3 kg of gas £35 on average. . Ouch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts