ust purchased our first caravan

Mar 26, 2005
Visit site
Hello every one, having just purchased our first varavan, i towed it for the first time yesterday, granted it was only from Louth To Tetney but it felt like towing a brick, i could not get into 5th gear and no faster than 45mph, granted it was a head wind. being a complete novice i would welcome any advice, the car i have is a Scenic 1.9 diesel. caravan is well within the limits. i would welcome any advice on caravanning.

many thanks

dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi we are Quite new to vanning also but first thoughts are:

Are you 85% or less.

Did the van come from a dealers and so would have been inspected PDI.

Was the Vans Brake on?

Once uncoupled were you able to move the van easily.

Just first thoughts sure others will have more ideas for you to check.

Martin

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
You didn't say what caravan you are towing but if you enter your car & caravan details at http://www.whattowcar.com/

it will tell you what your top speed in each gear will be and if it should be possible to use 5th.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
hi dave

we have the same car and have no problems with getting in to 5th gear. Must have been the wind if your set up is right, break off etc.

Mar 26, 2005
Visit site
many thanks for your comments everyone, the caravan we had just purchased was a 'crown princess' bought from a dealer, granted the wind was head on, the brake was off and weight was well within its limits, we were originally going to buy a folding caravan but the price put us off being our first time.

we have joined the caravan club and camping and caravan club, we are looking forward to giving it a go, nearly bought all our bits and bobs didnt realise what you had to buy it is all exciting.

many thanks for your help once again

dave

TRENDING THREADS