Van Battery Max Load

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi Excluding the motor mover, any ideas about what you think the max DC battery current draw is or can be? I want to fit a digital Volt / amp meter to my van.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Grey13 said:
Hi Excluding the motor mover, any ideas about what you think the max DC battery current draw is or can be? I want to fit a digital Volt / amp meter to my van.

Are you looking for the max continues that the battery can supply or what the max would be if all user items were connected? The problem with just adding up all likley user items is that it's unlikely all would be on together and if you were not on EHU some wouldn't function on dc anyway. One way could be for members with newer vans that can monitor current to let you have their read outs with items connected. Otherwise producing a load chart with options and load variations that represent how you use the caravan would be my approach.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would suggest you take a cue from the caravan manufacturers fusing. They normally fit a fuse in the battery supply, which is designed to be enough to protect the caravan wiring. There is little point in fitting a meter with a capacity that exceeds the fuse rating. The last caravan I used had a 20A battery fuse.(excluding the motor mover )

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Grey, after we left the Woosie fest, and went North to St Andrews for two nights, on a Non hook up, I was interested to know how long could last on just battery, so watched the battery voltage closely. Not the amperage. From arriving on site the battery was, 12 .9 and after 2 nights of just using 12 volts power for the electronics of the fridge and heating, Fridge and heating on gasthen 12 volts for lighting, after two days/nights the battery was down to 12.2 volts. My caravan electronics system doesn't't start "beeping" until about 11.4 volts, when the fridge and heating electronics start to shut down.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts