Van damged whilst being serviced - again!

Feb 27, 2006
Visit site
Hi

I've just got my van back after service at which it was damaged (and repaired) whilst in their care.

This is the 3rd piece of damage I have experienced during their care - sloppy is not the word I would choose!

It's got to the stage where I now want to get it serviced at home so it is in my view but I don't know of any Yorkshire mobile units which would not invalidate warranty etc.

Does anyone else have such bad luck with their dealers and does anyone know of a Yorkshire mobile unit that might not invalidate warranties etc?

Merry xmas

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kingsley,

Your not alone in this problem. A few years ago I put my van (couple of months old) into a local dealer to have a fitting in the shower secured.

We were packing up to go away a few days later when I found something sticking from the sode of the van. Some dipstick at the dealers had drilled right through the outer skin and then pluged the hole with a matchstick.

Was I pleased????????

Sorry cant help with the Yorkshire area.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
i have a mobile service one.as follows

MOBILE CARAVAN REPAIRS AND SERVICE AT HOME OR ON SITE

DAVID A PEARSON,YORK,YO32 9PZ.PHONE 01904765927,MOBILE 07774 873824. he came to do work at the CC york site,and i got his card.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kingsley, you dont say where you live in W/Yorks but Alan at Castleford Caravan Care will travell to most places. Give him a call on 07751591799, does exactly what it says on the box if you know what i mean. Has serviced my van no problems and will tell you if theres going to problems in the future, Bazz. ( Pontefract).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kingsley, you dont say where you live in W/Yorks but Alan at Castleford Caravan Care will travell to most places. Give him a call on 07751591799, does exactly what it says on the box if you know what i mean. Has serviced my van no problems and will tell you if theres going to problems in the future, Bazz. ( Pontefract).
PS Merry christmas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Kingsley,

Just in case you do not fully understand the 'warranty' situation.

You probably have two types of warranty, The first is what your legal rights give you when ever you purchase anything (all products not just caravans) from a trader or dealer but not a private sale.

The seller is legally responsible to ensure the goods they supply are fit for purpose and sufficiently durable and are of merchantable quality. If you have a failure of any part of a caravan within a reasonable time, the seller (not the manufacturer) is legally responsible to repair/replace the faulty item. The full details can be found at:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/index.html
This does not stipulate any specific service regime, and normal wear and tear is also factored into any remedy

The 'seller' is anyone who takes the money from you, so if you have used a finance house, then they are technically the seller.

The second type of warranty you probably have is offered by the manufacture. Manufactures are not obliged by any law to offer any type of warranty to end users (Except where they sell direct), so it is actually a gift, and when they offer it, it is surrounded by a whole raft of caveats, such as service intervals, and preferred service locations. If you accept it, you have entered a contract, and as with any contract you are obliged to keep to the terms, - except where that contract is unfair:-

It has become accepted that specifying service work must only be carried out by specified companies, (i.e. dealers tide to the manufacture) is anti competitive, and such stipulations are not fair o the end user, so following a test case relating the automotive industry, such clauses in contracts are difficult to enforce. The reality is that the service work should be carried out to the manufacture schedule, but any company deemed competent to do so can carry out the work. Jones Venning independently assess Caravan dealers, and it is generally accepted that company's accredited by JV are suitable.

Do not assume that you can change dealers for service work, check with the caravan manufacture, or seek professional advice.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Just to add to John L most informative letter, not many people realise that their caravan has a "warranty" cover for 6 years despite what is in writing. This does not cover wear and tear but mainly a fault with the manufacturing that may not have becomes apparent until 4 years had passed, i.e. water ingress or similar. As for 6 years the article must be fit for the purpose in relation to the price paid. There was a test case against Land Rover and Land Rover lost and had to fork out substantial sums

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Try phoning Wandaholme at Ferrybridge, M62/A1 I think they have a mobile caravan servicing section. Staff at Wandaholme always helpful.

Annette

Feb 27, 2006
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for all your responses. I'll be trying the numbers. The other thought I had was to insist they service whilst I wait.

My experience of this dealership has been severely dented (pardon the pun) but it was interesteing to note that I am not alone.

PS I am Halifax based in W Yorks.

rgds

Kingsley

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts