Van length - does it make much difference?

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

We're about to invest in our first van (I've been around them my entire childhood but this will be the first time I've towed my own with my own family) and are wondering whether you more experienced folks could give opinions on how much difference overall van length makes to the feel/stability/road safety/manoeuvrability of the outfit? There are only 4 (2 adults, 2 currently small kids) of us but we're debating whether we might as well get one of the lighter, single axle, 6 births to make winter touring more comfortable with ever growing small people who seem to take up an inordinate amount of space!?

Difference in length between our top contenders is around 50cms. Obviously there are also weight differences to be considered (which heavily impact on stability) but we can tow both with our XC60 so its all about whether you notice those extra 50cms...

Thanks all :) really appreciate your experiences

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
We changed our 'van last year to a new one which was about 50cm longer. I can honestly say that it hasn't made a scrap of difference to the way that I tow. The only difference is that it now sticks out of the garage more but that doesn't bother me. Living accommodation is far more important to us.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stel1 said:

Difference in length between our top contenders is around 50cms. Obviously there are also weight differences to be considered (which heavily impact on stability) but we can tow both with our XC60 so its all about whether you notice those extra 50cms...

Hello Stel,

Whilst weight does play apart in the stability of an outfit its effects are far over shadowed, by how the weight is loaded, and more importantly how the outfit is driven. Very much agree with paulT, the extra length will hardly be noticed when towing provided nose weight and all other factors are properly managed.

When it comes to reversing, the bigger th distance between the hitch and the trailers axle generally makes it easier to control.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks both - really appreciate it. Great to have some real life views.

I've swatted up a lot on the theory of loading properly, nose weights etc and a few years of physics and advanced driving (I'll still take the towing course of course) will hopefully pay off but real world experiences count for a lot so really appreciate the input :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We started with a 10ft body caravan and now have worked up to a body length of 5.6 meters. Have to say that the extra length has not made towing any more difficult.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
In my experience a longer caravan makes a lot of difference.

Wind affects a longer caravan, and more care has to be taken when cornering.

When we took two children we found a full awning essential, and our longest caravan was just over 15' internally, we started with a 12'9" internal caravan.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Must admit I had overlooked the cut in on bends bit, you do have to watch this until you are familiar with a new caravan. In theory the longer the caravan the more the pressure of wind on it but I have not found this a problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just wind by its self should not be a problem, because most caravans have virtually as much body work in front of the axle as behind, so the net effect of wind in any direction will be roughly balanced out. But passing other large vehicles where the bow wave of air pressure has a greater length length body to work along could be more of a problem.

But call me cautious, but I have only once had a slightly hairy moment when a foreign juggernaut overtook me on a motorway whilst I was hauling a large box trailer. He was a bit close and almost took my wing mirror off. I could feel the trailer being sucked in towards the side of the lorry and then being pushed away as the bow wave moved forward. I think he was deaf, or didn't understand Anglo Saxon.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree that length does not make very much difference to towing. Having had two similar length vans one UK and one German there was some difference in towing as the hitch to axle distance on the German van was greater than that on the British made van - down to a longer drawbar designed to take a bike rack.

This improved road stability but made reversing a little more difficult - I have to do a three pont turn to park the van at home - but outfit matching, and particularly, loading are far more important.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
You don't quote with what you will tow it. A longer wheelbase car - such as a Merc/Passat/Superb/Insignia estate will be less bothered by it than some Chelsea Tractors with a much shorter wheelbase despite the estates having more overhang. The weight of the tow vehicle and it's front back balance will also have a factor - a diesel engine is usually rather heavier than a petrol for instance. A Disco will not be bothered by it at all!

Note however that if you took your driving test on or after 1/1/97 you will need to take the additional driving test to uprate you from B to B+E on your licence. A B level will permit you to drive a total train weight of 3.5tonnes and the loaded trailer must not be heavier than the kerb weight of the vehicle. On a B+E the towing vehicle is limited to 3.5tonnes and the train to 7.5(?) tonnes. If you took your test before 1/1/97 then you have grandparent rights which permit you to drive up to 7.5tonnes plus a 750Kg unbraked trailer. It's all on the DVLA web site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think some additional information might help to Clarify Ray's comment concerning his parking dilemma.

I stated and I maintain that a longer distance from the hitch to the trailers axle makes it easier to control when reversing, and Rays comment seems to contradict that, but in fact we looking at two different aspects of reversing.

My comment was primarily about reversing a trailer in a near straight and how easy it is to perform.

Ray's problem is that he needs the caravan to turn quickly in a small space.

These are two ends of the spectrum and its all down to the tendency for a caravan/trailer's inherent tendency to over steer.

The degree of over steer is affected by the distance between the hitch and ten trailers axle. Short distances give greater over steer and long distances reduce the over steer.

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
I think some additional information might help to Clarify Ray's comment concerning his parking dilemma.

I stated and I maintain that a longer distance from the hitch to the trailers axle makes it easier to control when reversing, and Rays comment seems to contradict that, but in fact we looking at two different aspects of reversing.

My comment was primarily about reversing a trailer in a near straight and how easy it is to perform.

Ray's problem is that he needs the caravan to turn quickly in a small space.

These are two ends of the spectrum and its all down to the tendency for a caravan/trailer's inherent tendency to over steer.

The degree of over steer is affected by the distance between the hitch and ten trailers axle. Short distances give greater over steer and long distances reduce the over steer.

That's why arctics have the axles near the rear of the trailer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts