Van,s on sites.

Oct 18, 2005
Visit site
I am in the throws of buying a new transit van for to use work wise and for pleasure. The transit is brand new and it is called a Double cad in van, which means it has an extra row of seats at the back of the driver. The seating is for the kids when i am not working and the van section is for my work. This will also be used for when i am away on holiday with the family.

This brings me to the question will the caravan club sites and private sites allow a van on site. The van is the only transport that i would have.

What do the rest of you think of this?

steven.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steven - I don't know about club sites but there are many private camping sites that will not allow commercial vehicles on site as it can be misconstrued as being new age travellers, gypsies, etc. I have been on a few sites myself where the van has either been turned away or they have been asked to park the van at the site entrance and not along side the caravan.

A friend of mine has a Transit with the twin cab feature such as yours and for work it is used as a mobile service/breakdown vehicle (it is ex RAC). The van is not sign written, is in excellent condition and the equipment on board is very expensive but he has been turned away from a few sites even though he has explained the vehicle and contents is probably worth more than the caravan and also many cars on the site. He now tells the site owners what vehicle he has prior to booking.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
No doubt somebody will verify this for me, but I think both clubs will allow commercial vehicles as long as there's no sign writing or adverts on them.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Sign writing is a no no, at some sites in my experience.

Believe it or not a set of alloy wheels made a difference to one guy I know,another guy with a vito has smoke grey privacy glass on the second row of windows and the rear panels sprayed smoke grey to match them. The window look + set of fancy wheels has stopped the questioning he got sometimes with his VW.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
CC club sites have no rules to prevent their use and I've seen a number in use on such sites.

Commercial sites and CL / CS do have the right not to allow any particular type of visitor. Just check beforehand.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I cant see any reason why a well looked after comercial van should not be welcom on any site .I can imagine the concerne if a convoy of them arrived or the site sudenly started to fill up with them .I have a neighbour who tows with an almost identical toyota pick up truck to the one you propose using, i dont think he has any trouble Coljac

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
i think the main deciding factor really should be condition.i run two vans and try to keep them spotless but most guys using a van for work all week dont really make the effort,and a filthy van with *** packets and chip pokes for seat covers doesnt really do much to endear you to your site neighbours.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steven,

I have just checked the Caravan Club Rules in my book.Strangely enough,it states that Caravans bearing advertising matter,other than normal manufacturers transfers or plates,are not allowed on site.BUT it does not mention towing vehicles.

It would be worth contacting the Club and getting something in writing as wardens interpretation on different sites might vary.

Hope this helps you.

Maureen

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

I had the same questions with the Caravan Club earlier this year and they said that providing the van is in reasonable condition and that there will be no trading from the vehicle whilst on CC sites then they don't have a problem. As fpr the sign writing that is not an issue, so buy you Tranny and enjoy

Tom

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
With reference to Stevens "what do we think", as far as I'm concerned it wouldn't bother me if the van had sign writing on it or not. Whats more important to me is the attitude/behaviour of fellow vanners on sites. Rowdiness, uncontrollable kids and dog mess are a far greater problem and being a dog owner who picks up his dogs mess the latter problem is far greater than the former two.I am sick to death of taking my dogs on dedicated dog walks and stepping in others muck because they are too bone idle or dont like the idea of picking it up.Do these anti social gits think that because it is a "dedicated dog walk" it absolves them of all responsibility? What I do find strange though is nobody admits to being one of them, everyone scoops heheheh! Oh well, off my soapbox, sorry to the person who thinks I go on too much :O( tough :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With reference to Stevens "what do we think", as far as I'm concerned it wouldn't bother me if the van had sign writing on it or not. Whats more important to me is the attitude/behaviour of fellow vanners on sites. Rowdiness, uncontrollable kids and dog mess are a far greater problem and being a dog owner who picks up his dogs mess the latter problem is far greater than the former two.I am sick to death of taking my dogs on dedicated dog walks and stepping in others muck because they are too bone idle or dont like the idea of picking it up.Do these anti social gits think that because it is a "dedicated dog walk" it absolves them of all responsibility? What I do find strange though is nobody admits to being one of them, everyone scoops heheheh! Oh well, off my soapbox, sorry to the person who thinks I go on too much :O( tough :O)
Lord B although I agree with your views 100% could this be an instance where you could be construed as talking a load of c**p. the other point regarding dogs on site is the instance where the dog is allowed to roam at will at the possible annoyance of other campers/caravaners.

Hope you had a first class Christmas and all the best for a happy and prosperous new year.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Ummmm I'm told everyday by my "ball and chain" that I talk cr*p Colin so I'm used to that heheheh! With reference to dogs roaming I've only seen that twice, both at Bladon Chains, no fault of the wardens I might add who were excellent. By coincidence it was at Bladon Chains where Her Ladyship and I took our dogs onto the "dedicated dog walk". We went twice and both times we both had dog mess on our shoes, after that we had had enough and took them along a lane although it was risky with no pavement and cars using the lane as a rat run. Happy New Year to You and Yours Colin and lets hope in 2006 you dont agree with me 100% everytime else lifes going to get boring, lmaoooooooo. J/K M8 ;o)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B although I agree with your views 100% could this be an instance where you could be construed as talking a load of c**p. the other point regarding dogs on site is the instance where the dog is allowed to roam at will at the possible annoyance of other campers/caravaners.

Hope you had a first class Christmas and all the best for a happy and prosperous new year.
lord B happy new year keep up the good work .im warming to you now ive cracked the code Coljac

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree. We too get tired of the inconcidericy of others. We have two dirty great big Labrador's and always pick up after them, and they are so well trained they sit and wait to be told to eat even if the bowel is right under their noses.

I didn't have to beat them into submission to get that behaviour either, just encorage them to be at one with us, and feel wanted and loved.

As for commercial vans, a lot of sole traders in the early years find it hard to fund a 4x4 to tow their caravan as well as shelling out 20 grand on a work horse. So like you, so long as the people inside give respect we do the same.

Anyway for many years my wifes family of 9 used to travel Pembrokeshire with a caravan doing spud picking and hop tying in good old Herefordshire.

See looks can be decieving as we now have a chariot with private plates and all thetrappings of success. Are we any happier? Probably not, as I often yearn for the caravan season to start again. At least on the most part we are a classless society when caravanning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts