Van security whilst in for servicing

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, my pride and joy goes in for servicing on Saturday but due to distance it will be at the service centre until nxt saturday.

They have told me not to put on any security items ie wheel locks etc. on so they can move my van around.

My question. I know it will be in a copmound with brand new vans (so why mine?) but in the unlikly event it gets stolen who would be responsible for covering the van for insurance??

As my insurance is with c&cc i have stipulated when in use I will use my alco wheel locks and hitch lock etc but whilst in for servicing this wont be the case, would this ultimately invalidate any claim?

Just to put my mind to rest as I know it probably wont happen but any advice welcome.

Cheers

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

There is no simple answer.

However be certain when delivering to the Dealer you BOTH sign a "contract" "Agreement" that the dealer is responsible for any loss of or damage to your caravan whilst it is in his care custody and control.

Just because the dealer has a trade insurance policy does not automatically make him legally liable for the theft of your caravan. You may have to prove the dealer was negligent in allowing the caravan to be stolen .

Tell the C&C Insurers when and where the service will take place and ask if they will continue full cover at the dealer's premises without the policy required security.

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John, and Dusty.

It is my opinion that if you leave your pride and joy with a dealer or service agent for work to be carried out, that for the duration that the caravan is with them the dealer is responsible for the safety of the caravan, and its security just as if you your self were securing and protecting the caravan.

Under normal commercial business arrangements customer's property left in the care of a service provider is the responsibility of the service provider, until it is returned to the customer.

However If the dealer tries to absolve themselves of any responsibility by pointing to any clause that say caravans and contents are left at the owner risk, very clearly write on the job sheet or in a separate letter that all the security devices must be applied and used whilst the caravan is in the dealers care, and bring that matter to the service manager's attention and ask for a signature to show the company accepts the responsibility.

If the dealer either refuses to sign, then advise them they will be held entirely responsible for the security of the caravan, or if they fail to use the security devices, they are negligent in their responsibilities and thus culpable if any damage or losses occur.

A reputable company should have no qualms about using security devises, or covering the caravan with their own insurance, after all that is one costs of their prime business activities.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi John

Personally I'd try to make sure that the dealer would cover any loss or damage to your caravan when it is stored within their premises but from what you have written it looks as though the dealer is doing you a favour by storing it for a week.

It's a tricky situation as far as the insurance is concerned because if you must leave the security devices off you should inform them because the degree of risk will have changed.

Is there no possibility of using a dealer or servicing agent closer to home?

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
We too have our van in for service, with no security fitted. It is also at the dealers for a week as im working but this was arranged whilst booking the service and their price list states that caravan sleft on their premises for longer than the agreed time will be charged a daily storage rate. There was nothing about insurance issues.

I will be asking about insurance when I pick it up on Saturday,as Ive never thought about it I just assumed they would be insured for it.

Kevin

G

Most reputable dealers will endeavour to take good care of all vans left with them, and yes, they do need to move them from workshop to workshop as required. They will also store the van in the 'back yard' after it is finished, as the space will be needed for the next one. However, accidents do happen even with the best of intent and dealers will usually accept liability for any damage they may cause. Where difficulties may arise is if you find a scratch or small dent that was not there when you went in, and unless you and the dealer visually inspected the van together, then if they play 'awkward' it could be difficult. Also if damage does occur, the dealer may decide a repair is sufficient, but that may not agree with your idea of a replacement part being fitted, especially on dented panels.

As for it being stolen, which is unlikely as you state with it being alongside brand new vans, then I would suspect your insurance wopuld repay you for the loss, and then reclaim from the dealership, as with cars etc. If this happens when you have left the van longer than is agreed, because that is your choice, then it may be your insurance that takes the 'hit'.

On the positive side, it is not common for vans to get damaged or stolen from delaers yards, so I think you are being a bit pessimistic unecessarily.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Mine was serviced last week and the dealer got me to sign that my insurance would cover the van. I use CC so the hitchlock and alarm were sufficient to maintain cover. In storage I also use a wheel lock but CC only specify one "Sold Secure" device.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As my van is due for service next week and may be kept overnight, I rang the service dealer who said they do not cover the van, and I should apply the security that my insurers and I have agreed to.

I am insured with the Caravan Club who I also rang, they have said providing that the Servicing Dealership is within a locked compound, they will provide cover without me fitting all my security devises.

Jim

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Chris, Ive just renewed my insurance with the cc and the terms have changed this year.

Where in the past you could have the van unsecure for a period of time (in Hours) it now states that the van must be secured with ALL the security devices when it is uncoupled from the car, in my case the hitch lock, alko wheel lock, steady lock and alarm.

We have always done this anyway, but someone may get caught out if thy dont read the new policy details

Kevin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts