Van tyres

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
Hello all,

I need to get some replacement tyres for my van. However I am a little confused on my tyre size, looking on the tyre sidewall and in my service book it says 175R14C 99/98R. When I go on line it is asking for a number between the 175 & 14 which I believe will be the tyre height, but can’t see this number anywhere?

How do I order the correct tyre size without knowing this number?

On a similar note when getting replacement tyres would you also recommend getting the spare changed as well?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
175 is the tread width in mm
R denotes it's a radial tyre
14 is the wheel rim diameter in inches
C denotes "commercial" grade construction designed for a commercial vehicle, such as a van.

All explained Here

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
Mr Plodd,

Thanks for quick response and the link. However I still can’t find the height number anywhere, without this I don’t know the correct size to order.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
What do you mean by "height number" if you mean the aspect ratio then unless it's a low profile tyre (55, 50, 45 etc) then it won't be shown on the sidewall.
My cars tyes are 225 45 19. That means they are "low profile" with an aspect ratio of 45% Most ordinary car tyres are 65,
A caravan will not be on low profile tyres, so you just need a 175 x 14 tyre with the correct load rating of 99
If in doubt go and talk to your local tyre depot, they will confirm what I have said.

Reactions: Madpad_01
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What do you mean by "height number" if you mean the aspect ratio then unless it's a low profile tyre (55, 50, 45 etc) then it won't be shown on the sidewall.
My cars tyes are 225 45 19. That means they are "low profile" with an aspect ratio of 45% Most ordinary car tyres are 65,
A caravan will not be on low profile tyres, so you just need a 175 x 14 tyre with the correct load rating of 99
If in doubt go and talk to your local tyre depot, they will confirm what I have said.
Some caravans are on "low" profile tyres - not that low compared to modern cars but can be /75, /70 or /65

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OP you may find that when you search for tyres you will see two load indices ie 99/98. Don’t be perplexed as the dual figure relates to if the tyre is used on the end of an axle that has twin tyres either end, or if the tyre is used on an axle that only has one tyre at each end. Caravans whether twin axle or single axle only have a single tyre at each end of the axle. What does owners manual say for tyre size.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Mad pad,
Be careful.
How do you know the tyres currently fitted are the correct ones?
What Make model and year is your caravan? One of us will then no doubt investigate further for you👍

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
My spare is stored in the locker, as such it's never seen daylight for more than 10 mins at a time. That tyre is 9 years old and I don't see any cracks or other worrying issues so I'm leaving it.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If in doubt ring the dealer. The internet only works if you know for sure what you want but most dealers can talk you through the problem and solve the problem quickly. Do not see the internet as the only solution.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I had mine replaced on my Elddis van that I have just examined and the same as yours - 175R14C 99/98 actually replacement like-for-like 'Maxmiler -x' brand . Whether the 'C' defines the aspect ratio figure that's missing I don't know - but that's what my local depot recommended - and don't forget to ask for the wheel balancing too!
In fact that reminds me that mine are coming up for renewing so another task for the spring! I get the depot to fit at home - a 'tyres-on-the-drive' service - for both car and caravan when needed which also saves towing across town to get them done.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had mine replaced on my Elddis van that I have just examined and the same as yours - 175R14C 99/98 actually replacement like-for-like 'Maxmiler -x' brand . Whether the 'C' defines the aspect ratio figure that's missing I don't know - but that's what my local depot recommended - and don't forget to ask for the wheel balancing too!
In fact that reminds me that mine are coming up for renewing so another task for the spring! I get the depot to fit at home - a 'tyres-on-the-drive' service - for both car and caravan when needed which also saves towing across town to get them done.
"C" rated tyres are 80% aspect ratio according to Blackcircles

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
C rating can be any aspect ratio , although its common its 80%. C stands for Commercial, which means the tyres will meet higher load standards than regular tyres (as well as possibly harder/longer wearing compounds favoured by commercial operators). C tyres will usually have lower speed ratings that regular versions too.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I did not say that “C” related to aspect ratio just that Blackcircles stated they were 80% aspect. But as pointed out in #15 Shouldknowbetter, C can also be shown on other aspect ratio tyres too. I’ve had enough caravans with C rated tyres fitted on the basis if they are good enough construction for WVM they will meet my needs too.

But your post at #5 puzzles me as you say

“It's the profile that's missing - quite normal as /80 is assumed for any tyre which doesn't show the profile - so for a 175R14 use 175/80R14” not far removed from my comment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts