vaukhall Frontera

Nov 2, 2006
Visit site
hi, thinking of buying a frontera to tow our twin axle trecker does any one have one of these 4x4. know they stopped making them so not many about but anything smaller wont tow and dont want a large 4x4 to drive about in when not towing.

jen

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jennifer,

my sister-in-laws father had one, nothing but trouble.(Sorry Andy),but i wouldn't touch one of these with a barge pole. They are renowned for poor reliability, poor performance and poor road handling.

Don't know what your towing, or what your budget is, but there are far batter alternatives out there,

Gavin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Gavin but i have owned mine for 2 1/2 years no problems at all, pulls my 1400kg caravan as if it was not there.Only reason we are selling is it is now surplus to reqiurements.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
hi jen, these cars are not that bad,my friend has got a petrol 2.2 and it tows well.if i were you i,d try and get a later diesel but not the 2.3 opel diesel. their not really powerful enough because their heavy on their own,and the 2.3 is a bit troublesome .but you dont know until you try it.you get good an bad ones in everythink.one thing ,their well made underneath,have a read of the montery script on here ,they can,t be that bad can they?hope this helps.

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jennifer I had tow frontera's one after the other from new. Both were frontera's B's and I though a very good tow car like you said they have stopped production so I bought a Kia Sorento on March.

Great car best tow car I've had had two landrovers to good cars but the disco was defn a friday car

Frontera's yeh I'd have bought a third one go for it it you see the right one.

Martin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi jennifer , i've had two frontera's ( 2.2dti)in the past both good car's, towed a 1300kg lunar no problems only sold bacause we wanted a 7 seater car , kia sedonna have to say better than the two frontera's never used the 4x4

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a 2.5td from new for 80K miles. Only problem we had was the air con. A mate had 6 with no problems. I think it is another one of these cars that people take against because they read something. I have various friends that had nothing but trouble from Lexus, Audi, BMW and Merc should this mean we avoid these cars too?

The Frontera is a good work horse and cheap to buy, with the 2.2 tdi being a good advance from the old ones. Have a drive of one, you might be surprised.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a 2.5td from new for 80K miles. Only problem we had was the air con. A mate had 6 with no problems. I think it is another one of these cars that people take against because they read something. I have various friends that had nothing but trouble from Lexus, Audi, BMW and Merc should this mean we avoid these cars too?

The Frontera is a good work horse and cheap to buy, with the 2.2 tdi being a good advance from the old ones. Have a drive of one, you might be surprised.
Well said Paul, i rest my case.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
I had a 2.2 M reg petrol frontera bought it second hand in 2000 it was a good reliable 4x4, it had to be I launch a boat from the beach. I traded it in for a Nissan X trail 2.0 sport in April 2006.

The X trail drives better solo, but do I miss the Frontera when I'm towing the van. I had no worries with the Frontera especially on soft ground I could use the high/low gear 4 wheel drive, cant do that with the Nissan its only got normal 4 wheel drive. So I don't go on the beach with it.

I also find I'm for ever changing gears on the motorway with the Nissan.

The best thing about the Frontera, is the bad press it gets, it means you and get a good one cheap.

Nov 2, 2006
Visit site
thanks everyone for your information. hubby has seen one 2002 model. Yeh you are right they are cheap compared to other 4X4s, take test drive in it see how we get on. It has right kerbweight for caravan we have if we go for smaller 4x4 like suzuki or freelander they not suit caravan other than the frontera that leaves larger 4x4s which i do not want for day to day driving or 7 seaters, had one dont wont another one. let you all know how we get on.

thanks jen

Nov 10, 2006
Visit site
thanks everyone for your information. hubby has seen one 2002 model. Yeh you are right they are cheap compared to other 4X4s, take test drive in it see how we get on. It has right kerbweight for caravan we have if we go for smaller 4x4 like suzuki or freelander they not suit caravan other than the frontera that leaves larger 4x4s which i do not want for day to day driving or 7 seaters, had one dont wont another one. let you all know how we get on.

thanks jen
Hi jen, We got a 2.2DTi Limited Estate(Diesel). Had it for 4 years now. Tow a Twin axled Eldiss Crusader Sirocco and just ordered Crusader Superstorm. The car tows our van perfectly. We have towed all over France and even towed over the Massif Central (very mountainous area) fully loaded van and five people in the vehicle (all large people). Never a problem. Very economical to run as I use it everyday back and for to work approx 20 miles each way. Also cheap to insure (Group 10) It is our second car ! like you we needed a good tow/everyday car and this works superbly. Don't listen to the people who knock them.You need to find out yourself. We didn't and we are so glad.

Nov 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi jen, We got a 2.2DTi Limited Estate(Diesel). Had it for 4 years now. Tow a Twin axled Eldiss Crusader Sirocco and just ordered Crusader Superstorm. The car tows our van perfectly. We have towed all over France and even towed over the Massif Central (very mountainous area) fully loaded van and five people in the vehicle (all large people). Never a problem. Very economical to run as I use it everyday back and for to work approx 20 miles each way. Also cheap to insure (Group 10) It is our second car ! like you we needed a good tow/everyday car and this works superbly. Don't listen to the people who knock them.You need to find out yourself. We didn't and we are so glad.
Hi gail,

Nice to talk to someone who tows a twin axle. We have just bought a Sterling Eccles Trecker and this is why we need to change our towcar. glad to hear you happy with frontera towing your caravan this will help make up our minds about changing to one. We have had test drive and like it very much but with some of the comments on here we just weren't sure. But think now we will go for it.

thanks

TRENDING THREADS