Vauxall Zafira as a tug?

May 22, 2008
Visit site
Had one for my Challenger 490se, lets just say, you def knew you had a van on.

Changed to a Kia Carens diesel 7 seater, BRILLIANT tower, on " normal " roads, through town etc, would`nt even know the van was there.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
weve just towed 600 miles with our new zafira cdti 150bhp, our caravan is 1300kgs and the car was loaded with 2 adults 3 kids and a load of stuff in the boot. fuel econemy was about 30 to the gallon which we thought was not bad considering the amount of stuff we take away with us, hubby struggled to stick to the speed limit as the car is so powerful, hills 5th gear no problems (our old car on the same hills was always in 3rd gear) we would have no problems in recommending one for towing with.

if i were you i would test drive the 150bhp as well as the 120 the differance in price and running costs is not that much.

good luck

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We had a Zafira which was a fantastic MPV- we have 4 children. But we changed it when we decided to get a caravan. The Zafira just doesn't have enough kerbweight for a family caravan. we got a kia sedona instead. Enough kerbweight to tow practically anything but a bit of a bus compared to the zafira when solo.

mel

May 15, 2006
Visit site
Antony,

I have a 57 reg Zafira 19CDTi 120ps Auto as a tow tug, I pull a 2004 Bailey Pageant Moselle with a MTPLM of 1300Kg which it pulls perfectly, fuel consuption seems good, and it always feels very stable even with 4 adults and a 12yr old on board.Being Auto it does drop down the box when going up steep hills resulting in fairly high rev's and it doesn't seem to have the "Ooomph" i.e. power that my previous Ford 'c'Max 2L had on upward climbs although the Ford was 136ps & manual, but then the ford had it's faults, one of most concern was that the clutch got very hot when reversing up even the slightest slopes with the van on the back. I am very carefull how we load & the weight we carry but i am very happy with my Zafira and it is very capable of the job i need it to do, having owned a 4x4 previous to my C Max & Zafira I personaly would not go back to a 4X4 in todays fuel/tax climate, but then eveybody to their own. Happy hunting!

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
We've got a 1.9 cdti 150bhp Zafira to tow our Geist which has an MTPLM of 1390kg. The car tows great on motorways (not managed 6th gear yet with the caravan in tow but 5th is not a problem) and manages well up hills etc but, as posted above, does lack a bit of oomph at times, particularly on hill starts. It really does not like reversing with the van on the back, particularly on grass and the clutch starts to smell of burning very quickly. We get around 27 mpg when towing with 2 adults and 3 kids on board.

Love the car as a solo drive, it goes like sh*t off a shovel but we've decided to change for a 4x4 as soon as finances permit. We were adamant that we didn't need one but getting stuck on a grassy site at May Day has made us change our minds. Just got to work out what we can afford to run and buy now.

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
I tow with a Mk1 Zafira 1.8 (115bhp) - tows fairly well, nice and stable although it does lack in power slightly. The max towing weight isnt that great but we only have a light caravan so it doesnt really matter for us.

Would unreservedly recommend it for towing a light caravan apart from when you get it on wet grass - 4 wheel drive would be very very nice!

For pulling the van it does the job, round town it does the job, and for every day practicality it does the job - but not a lot more. Practical car, but a bit dull!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts