Vectra SRI towbar

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I recently bought a Vectra SRI 2.2 Estate (52 reg, old shape) to replace our tired old Volvo. A bit of spring sunshine has prompted thoughts of getting the van out for an airing so I have just made enquiries about a towbar only to be told that it is not possible to fit one to this model because it has a sports exhaust which covers the towbar mounting, and no other exhaust is listed . Has anyone else had this problem and is there any solution other than selling the car?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
So long as the sports exhaust is the factory fitted one, at least the factory approved towbar should fit. I don't know of any Vauxhall which is approved for towing but for which there is no towbar available.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your response. I have now spoken to Vauxhall who have confirmed that it is not possible to fit a towbar with the factory fitted exhaust but it can be replaced with a normal Vectra exhaust. There will be a slight loss of performance but there should be no other problems. It looks like this is what I have to do but it does seem a bit ridiculous to produce a car with this amount of power which cant tow due to a stupid design.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim and Pauline,

I have the Vectra 2.0 SRI 140 estate which has the same Irmscher twin box as your 2.2 SRI 150 and even if it has the "big bore" pipe a TT bar will fit ok. I fitted one last year with no problems of access at all, neither did I need to temporally lower the box as some "experts" would have you believe.

My advice is to avoid the main dealer and go to a local reputable Tow Bar fitter. If you go the DIY route I would recommend Towequipe.co.uk - they currently quote for your car at

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Powerflow will make up stainless steel exhausts, just the back box if required, which will fit whatever space is available.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim and Pauline,

I have the Vectra 2.0 SRI 140 estate which has the same Irmscher twin box as your 2.2 SRI 150 and even if it has the "big bore" pipe a TT bar will fit ok. I fitted one last year with no problems of access at all, neither did I need to temporally lower the box as some "experts" would have you believe.

My advice is to avoid the main dealer and go to a local reputable Tow Bar fitter. If you go the DIY route I would recommend Towequipe.co.uk - they currently quote for your car at

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just spoken to Towequipe. They say they were advised by Towtrust that the towbar might not fit the SRI and when they tried to fit one they couldnt get the exhaust back on. They will supply one but warn that it is at my risk. The only other option is to change the tail section of the exhaust so I think I will order the towbar and change the exhaust if it wont fit.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi again J&P

Just been out to look at the car and there is about 3 inches clearance from the main bar end and the inside tail pipe and 2 inches between the the chassis attachment plate and the box. The Part No. on the bar is TV342.There is virtually no clearance between the plastic body valance and the bar as it curves up to the ball bracket but I have not found this to be a problem in service and there has been no chaffing in 5k miles.

So unless I've got a different Irmscher box than the 2.2 (doubtfull I would have thought!) you definately aint got a problem.

If you are DIYing look at the Vectra owners club "how to's" at VVOC.com. There is some detail on there you will need for bridging the Brake Light Check relay - The Haynes manual gives an excellent wiring chart and Vauxhall kindly provide a fuse slot for the caravan power supply and a female trailer plug socket inside the back valance. I cut mine off and used connecting strip as I didn't want to pay for a Vauxhall male plug and harness.(Knowing Main dealer prices that would probably cost more than a TT Towbar)

One other tip is buy a draper "hole enlarger" it looks like a giant countersink and Towequipe sell them, the car chassis rail holes need opening up at a couple of points and that is about the only way of doing it unless you have a huge chuck on your power drill.

You may also be lucky and find a bulb fitted to the trailer repeater on the dash - mine wasn't so I fitted the kit supplied buzzer, as dismantling the dashboard to fit a bulb is almost as big a job as fitting the towbar!

Good luck and get back if you have any probs - dont wait too long though as I,m in the States for 10 days from 0204

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
P.S to the above - Iv'e just remembered the hole enlarger was for the cable holes in the rear cross frame not the chassis holes - they are dimple marked and need about a size 10mm drill.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David, Thanks for a --Oh dear, must try and concentrate! Just read the replies to the question about the Hummer and I cant stop chuckling! Sorry David, your reply is very helpful and its convinced me to have a go. I have fitted towbars before and I think I will be ok especially with the extra info you have given me. I spoke to TowTrust yesterday and they tried to be helpful but finally all they could say was that it depends on the size of the back box ( I dont think it helped when I called them Towsure by mistake !). Also contacted Towbars Direct who told me that they have fitted Witter Towtrust PCT and ECCO to the SRI but sometimes Vauxhall fit the GSI exhaust which is bigger. So I will order the towbar and hope for the best ! If it wont fit I shall just have to change the back box. Thanks again for your help and also everyone else who replied, this a great site when you need advice .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David, Thanks for a --Oh dear, must try and concentrate! Just read the replies to the question about the Hummer and I cant stop chuckling! Sorry David, your reply is very helpful and its convinced me to have a go. I have fitted towbars before and I think I will be ok especially with the extra info you have given me. I spoke to TowTrust yesterday and they tried to be helpful but finally all they could say was that it depends on the size of the back box ( I dont think it helped when I called them Towsure by mistake !). Also contacted Towbars Direct who told me that they have fitted Witter Towtrust PCT and ECCO to the SRI but sometimes Vauxhall fit the GSI exhaust which is bigger. So I will order the towbar and hope for the best ! If it wont fit I shall just have to change the back box. Thanks again for your help and also everyone else who replied, this a great site when you need advice .
Note to mod. Hope you dont mind me mentioning the companies involved but I found them all very helpful and each made a big effort to resolve my problem. Thanks, Jim.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Don't mention it and you are right this CAN be a very good site, if only some could restrain the impulse to comment when they have nothing useful to contribute or air their own , usually obscure, agendas at every opportunity. Yes I had a chuckle about the Hummer too - images of Beckham and The Governor of California "Arnie" on a caravan site with their entorage kept flitting through my mind,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Note for David W if you are still out there. Just been looking for Vectra stuff on ebay and I have found an irmscher back box for a Vectra SRI. Its off a 99 car and it is not exactly the same as mine but I think its very similar. The interesting thing is that its described as the towbar model so it seems there are 2 (or more ) types. Mine looks in good condition and its just as well, bidding is currently

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Note for David W if you are still out there. Just been looking for Vectra stuff on ebay and I have found an irmscher back box for a Vectra SRI. Its off a 99 car and it is not exactly the same as mine but I think its very similar. The interesting thing is that its described as the towbar model so it seems there are 2 (or more ) types. Mine looks in good condition and its just as well, bidding is currently

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Yes here till Sunday - I absolutely aggree with RogerL's comments, don't buy second hand Exhaust bits. If you find access a problem, and I'm confident you won't - take the wieght of the box on a Jack and slide off the the two rubber supports from the body mounted pins. You will then be able to lower the exhaust about 3 to 6 inches without undully straining the remaining system. This will give improved access IF YOU NEED IT. Personally I never muck about with exhausts myself - take it to quick fit if it needs a new box - BUT IT WON'T!

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jim and Pauline, Ive used Jims towbars service for the past 3 cars. Very good service and the best thing is they come to you.

Hope all goes well

Kevin H

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts