Vehicle Warnings

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The idea of some kind of warning on large vehicles is I think, a good idea. The experiment we carried out over the weekend whilst away certainly gives food for thought.

My old Range Rover has a ground clearance of about eleven inches. This is remarkably useful when working on the vehicle for maintenance etc, because even someone of my girth can move around underneath with ease.

This lead me to think that the warning I should emblazon on my bonnet is the wording - "LAY DOWN!". My two sons and I convinced my old Mother in Law that it would be for the greater good if she would consent to laying in the road to see how she faired when we drove over her at various speeds.

I have to say my Mother in Law was a little star!! She loved the attention and the applause when, as she got more used to the idea, she would stand in the road tottering about, lining herself up as I drove towards her, then throw herself on the road so that my Range Rover could pass over her without damage to either party. The applause from the amazed passers by who stopped to watch and cheer her on was a real tonic and cheered her up no end. She is still telling the nurses how much she enjoyed it.

So what a shame it all ended in such an unfortunate accident - tho' happily she is well on the mend!

I blame myself, I should have looked in the mirror! I should have realised what the vehicle following me was!!

How was I to know a ruddy Reliant Robin was following us?

Still - I have to say I am even more impressed with the Mother in Law - She is keen to get back and start practising throwing herself on the floor for a tall vehicle like a 4x4 and she then wants to practice an immediate "leapfrog" over the Reliant Robin.

What a star!!

And what a fabulous idea to give us all such a clear and useful bit of information. After all think of all those poor people protected from the truly horrible consequences by such warnings as "Hot!" on a hot beverage and "Contains Nuts" on a packet of peanuts.

I look forward to other suggested warning.

I have written to ESA and NASA and suggested that they write "Spaceflight can be extremely hazardous to your health" on the side of the International Space Station and they agree that in these Politically Correct Times it would be a good idea.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive you must have either a wonderful or nieve mother in law. It would be impossible to even get mine to stand in front of the car (beg your pardon 4x4 - Daihatsu Fourtrak) then to lie down for me to drive over. Your entry brought tears of laughter to my eyes. How on earth did you think of this and I bet you have not mentioned it to your wife let alone mother in law. This has to be one of the best non crude mother in law stories for years. Well done.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
very good, I have also heard this one before in a different context, mummy rabbit teaching baby rabbits how to avoid being run over at night by oncoming vehicles, she taught them to freeze when they saw a car approaching with blazing headlamps on, but to only do this once they all aligned themselves centally between the two headlight beams, thus avoiding actually getting hit, they all made it across the road except the last one who was hit by R'robin

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
CliveV,

Do I detect an attack on those righteous 1x3 owners?

About 20 years ago in January, I had the great pleasure of driving North up the M1 towards Nottingham in a real snowstorm, the few cars and lorries had carved two nice ruts in the snow, and everyone was down to about 30 mph.

The saving grace of the journey was following a Reliant owner, and trying not to wet my pants as the front of the car bounced up and down on the top of the snow, or fell off to either the right or left and then crabbed up the motorway. Hehe.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One of my most vivid memories is of a torrential downpour that had my Audi being very skittish on its wide tyres being overtaken by a Citroen 2CV passing us on what looked like bicycle tyres. They were so thin that they just cut through the water on the road.

Just goes to show that ALL car types have their advantages.

Tho - I do struggle with the Reliant Robin! Love the Morgan three wheeler! And does anyone remember the little Berkley three wheeler that looked like a little three wheeler sports car?

A friend had one of those and it was great.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
CliveV

Yes indeed, but just like one of my 70's college friends Bond Bug (a bright orange cheese wedge), the guys that designed them would have done better sticking the two wheels at the front.

His Bond Bug would frequently tip up when negotiating roundabouts and grind away at the front corners of the body work. He eventually bought a 2CV and agreed to transport the whole of our rugby team second row to a match - this also fell over at the first roundabout it came to.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a Berkeley T60 in 1970 - it was my first car - 2 wheels at the front & 1 at the back. It was powered by a 328cc twin cylinder Villiers air-cooled motorcycle engine, driving the front wheels via a chain (which kept coming off the main drive socket!) to the differential. It only did about 55-60 mph max, and would have been a death trap in a crash, in fact like Clive's mother-in-law it would probably have gone under a 4x4! But when you're only 17, you're immortal and it was great in hot weather with the top down. Wish I'd kept it - they're worth a fortune now. Incidentally, Berkely used to make caravans - diversifying into car production was their death knell.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One of my most vivid memories is of a torrential downpour that had my Audi being very skittish on its wide tyres being overtaken by a Citroen 2CV passing us on what looked like bicycle tyres. They were so thin that they just cut through the water on the road.

Just goes to show that ALL car types have their advantages.

Tho - I do struggle with the Reliant Robin! Love the Morgan three wheeler! And does anyone remember the little Berkley three wheeler that looked like a little three wheeler sports car?

A friend had one of those and it was great.
At least the Morgan was the right way round with 2 wheels for steering!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh yes Mike - I remember the joys of going out in the thing!

But in comparison to a motorbike in the winter it seemed great!

My friend bought it in exasperation of his twin cylinder Norton which whatever we did it would drop a cylinder from time to time. On the last occaision coming home accross Romney Marsh it happened again and so Dave just opened her up and struggled along on one cylinder. Then out of the blue the second cylinder cut back in.

Unexpected full throttle power on a bend was quite spectacular. Up the bank and into a ploughed field. If you have ever tried to recover a bike coverred in mud and petrol, in the wet and the dark you can see why even a Berkley three wheeler was attractive.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Ok I gotta ask this:

What on earth provoked that question then Kanga?
Dean

I agree, a bit out of order that one, however having spent many years living and working in Australia I can tell you that the average Aussie is much more homophobic than most civilised people. (Kanga does claim to be Australian doesn't he?)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Deano

From my experience the only thing that provokes such a childish outburst is when the "Anti's" get well and truly told "what for" by people who can prove that what the Anti's expound is nothing but lies and falsehoods. This has happened in spades of late

Their only resort is then abuse.

Sad really. They will call us child killers next, - best way to deal with all their vindictive adrenalin is to use humour - they cannot stand the true barmyness of their position being advertised. Hence Kanga's little poke at me and Mike because we were having a bit of fun.

The comment is offensive in that it accuses me of being something I am not as well as being offensive to Gay people in that Kanga is utilising the term Gay as a term of offence

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi guys

For those who wonder what the last couple of postings are referring to - sadly once again Kanga had to let himself down and post an offensive posting.

It really is a shame that what I believe we were all enjoying as a reminiscing thread was for a short time subject to a very childish spoiling exercise by an individual that has time and time again shown himself to be immature.

My thanks to the techies for acting so speedily.

Well done.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No the brown smelly stuff that is the - let's face it rather limp - backbone of most of Kanga's posts.

You can have fun and larks on a forum without resorting to pathetic jibes and digs at peoples sexuality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts