Very first Caravan collecting end of month

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi
How exciting your first van. My advice (for what it's worth!) is to go very local for your first few times just to get used to it. You will have a ball....

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
Thank you. Yes, we have booked to stay on a site an hour from home the first time. Im also taking the caravan club towing course this month too.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi AnastieByte,
Good luck with your first caravan.
I don't know if you have towed anything before but towing a caravan can make your car feel a bit strange. Particularly if the caravan is unladen. The stability can be a worse unloaded so be careful not to tow too fast when empty.
A good habit to get into is double checking everything. Make sure the car and caravan tyre pressure are correct. Check the wheel nut torque (tightness) is correct. When coupling to the car wind the jockey down to lift the back of the car slightly to check the coupling lock is on properly. Lastly check the lights all work.
Please remember the extension mirrors, most car/caravan combinations require them to get a good rear view and be legal.
Also check your car insurance covers you for towing. The policy on the car only gives third party cover for the caravan. To cover the caravan for damage or theft whilst not connect to your car then separate insurance needs to be purchased.
Don't be taken in by the endless list of gadgets and gizmos available for caravans. Keeping it simple is the best way to go.
Leveling a caravan across the caravan can be done using a few off cuts of timber placed under the low side wheel. Remember if using levelling ramps they work best if you reverse up them as the auto release function of the caravan brakes could make the caravan roll back off the ramps.
I'm sure you will get on fine simply because you are trying to find out more about caravanning by using the s forum.
We have all seen the Moss covered caravans that have been dragged out for the annual trip to the coast wobbling around on the motorway. Simply asking questions makes caravans more enjoyable and safer.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. There is lots of experience on here so if you need to ask anything then please do so.
My tip for the first time you tow if you do this before the course is just to be careful on tight corners. The caravan will cut in a bit so it pays to take corners a bit wider than you would normally and then keep an eye on the mirror until you get the hang of it.
Towing is not that difficult in practice though and it is very sensible to take the towing course you mention so enjoy..

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Ray is right about the course it does help the confidence and shortens the learning stage.
When I started to tow some forty years ago I don’t think there was any courses.
One thing is for certain, the learning doesn’t stop. Every time I take the caravan out I come across a new situation.
Reversing is everyone’s nightmare, even after all the miles of towing I still have to have a second or third attempt at getting it right.
Reversing kills the clutch if you are towing with a car or SUV. There’s no shame in resorting to using the motor mover.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to this forum AnastieByte. Not the Beasties I hopeLol :lol: :lol:
You will enjoy this new found past time and on here ther is a true fountain of knowledge.
Ask away with no Fest how trivial a question may be. We all learnt the hard way and help make yours easier B)

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have plans in place to get you off to a great start !
Good choice to opt for a towing course always a good idea to get some expert advice and some experience under your belt.
Also a few weekends away close to home are great for getting used to everything without being too far away in case of any problems although in my experience when we were starting out there are always some fellow caravanners who are happy to help out if needed.
Here to lots of happy times and adventures for you !

TRENDING THREADS