VERY NEW TO CARAVANNING!! PLEASE ADVISE

Apr 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi ok dont laugh now, we've just bought a brand new caravan...it's great it , our little home from home, so whats the problem i hear you say, well we've never had a caravan before, when we collected it, we were given a 'quick guide round'....and i mean quick... showing us how to hitch it onto the car...which i have to say my husband has mastered!! but to be truthful everything to do with the inside scares the hell out of me....now i'm no dummy but this really seems a little more compplicated that we first imagined, i'm sure once i get the hang of it it'll come very easy to us!But the manual is really quite terrifying......can someone please give me a quick step by step guide to what i should do when we first get to a site....and what to do when were leaving!!....your help and advice will be totally apprieciated! thanks...wannabeacaravanner!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Beverley,

Welcome to both the forum and the life of a caravanner, Probably the best book you can buy is called the "Caravan Handbook written by a guy called John Wickersham - (green cover) it's published by Haynes and most branches of Halfords Sell it or you can order it online fron Haynes the publishers

ISBN: 1 85960 801 9

Book No: L7801

price:

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi beverley and welcome to the forum.we bought our 1st caravan in oct 05 and it was brand new aswell.i had never done caravanning but my partner craig did throughout his childhood so it was a little easier.i joined the caravan club and at weekends go to there sites within about an hour of home as i have 2 kids.you can book holidays with them on line and browse the parks, dates and info and check out facilities etc.there facilities are top quality and you wont be disapointed.any help you need to post a note on the forum and the friendly bunch will help you as much as they can just like they have for me.

Jan 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Beverley

Whatever you do just try to be relaxed about it, we all had to

learn from scratch and it is just a matter of getting into a routine as to what to do once arriving on site or leaving the

site.

The advice given to you by monkey on the book to purchase is

spot on, john Wickersham`s book once read will tell you all you want to know and more about caravanning and will give you the

confidence you need.

Also when you arrive on site never be afraid to ask fellow

caravanners for help and advice, nobody will think you silly

they will be only to pleased to help.

GOOD LUCK YOU WILL GET TO LOVE IT !!!

-----------------------------------------Colin (maidstone)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Beverley

First thing is book in then drive round and pick your spot if thats allowed. Ask the warden how he would like you to park on the peg and don,t rush, take your time. Most wardens will help if your peg is a little difficult. Then get the steadies down and most importantly, get the kettle on and relax!!!!!

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Beverley,

We bought our first caravan last year it too was brand new, I read through the manuals that came with the van and got the basic things through them. Our first trip in it was at a Caravan Club site and I must admit that the help we had off people and the warden was excellent. First when we tried to put the awning up well we didn't know where to start so two lovely people next to us could see that we were struggling and came to help, got it up in no time and now my husband can put the awning up on his own, secondly we didn't have a waste pipe for the waste water so the warden lent us one.

Caravanners are very very helpful people so wherever you go you will always have help and advice.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
First priority, have some water ready to use in the kettle ready for when you pull up on your pitch.

Un hitch the car, as soon as you have the steadies down get the gas and boil the kettle on the hob and have a cuppa and crash out for a short while before you start leveling or connecting the mains electric.

Lighting the hob helps get the gas through to the fridge should you need it and the water heater. Take it easy, you are on a break, one of the best site enterntainments is to see couples stressing over parking up and then stamping about trying to remember where all the bits and bobs are.

Keep the clutter to a minimum helps the stress levels, we often just crash out after a long journey and the Awning waits until the next day.

I just love to see the pro "old hands" red faced and stressed out racing to get Awnings and Wind breaks set-up and darn TV aerials or sat systems. Husband and wife bickering and moaning about their Arthritis and bad backs and Angina as they huff and puff racing around the van.

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
well we are new to vanning and have only been away twice, we very much subscribed to the get it on the pitch and level ( doesnt take long) plug in water waste and leccy then make tea or pour wine depending on the time. Due to this rather relaxed attitude we have yet to put up our brand new awning and so still dont know how that bit works. Maybe when we go away for more than a weekend will will try the awning,

The best advice I can offer to a fellow newbie is take your time, relax, ignore the watchers who seem to enjoy staring at newbies. Its supposed to be about relaxing so if the awning isnt vitally needed and ends up not going up who cares?

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the friendly world of caravanning. My advice is to join one or both of the two clubs. As well as formal advice on the phone and online members are always ready to help. You also get access to many more sites and rallies. Think about doing one of their courses. Enjoy it.

Chris

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Beverley - when you get to sites, check in with the warden and then walk round, it's so much easier to decide which pitch you'd like and exactly where to manoeuvre.

Oct 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Beverley, do not worry, On arrival a warden will normally show you the way to a site and if you ask them they may assist you to set up your van if not I have never been to a camping site yet were-by a call for HELP!! and half a dozen men, women and children will come running to give you any assistance needed, it is called friendly camping. The next thing is learn before hand how to operate the kettle, either through the gas supply or the mains electric, put kettle on with the biscuit barrel ready (chocolate ones or custard creams), the water tap is a good place to meet and talk with people, although you can often try the washroom or the people with dogs, amazing the response you get asking a dogs name. Good Luck. Talking is good for you.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Beverley,

We did exactly the same, the first weekend away pitched up next to a couple with the same make of van ( different model ) they showed us how to work everything, without interfearing or taking us over. You only need to look helpless, and people will help you out. By the way what van did you buy, someone may have a manual handy should you have a specific question.

Val & Frank

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Hi beverley,i hope your enjoying it.remember everyone has to learn.just remember the golden rule,as soon as you climb in that car,your on holiday ,whats the rush?there is none chill out relax,if you get stuck ask,We,ve been at it for 3years so were new.i try and head for a large pitch to make it easier.the only problem we have is that damn awning!

TRENDING THREADS