VERY NEW TO CARAVANNING ! PLEASE ADVISE

Apr 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi ok dont laugh now, we've just bought a brand new caravan...it's great it , our little home from home, so whats the problem i hear you say, well we've never had a caravan before, when we collected it, we were given a 'quick guide round'....and i mean quick... showing us how to hitch it onto the car...which i have to say my husband has mastered!! but to be truthful everything to do with the inside scares the hell out of me....now i'm no dummy but this really seems a little more compplicated that we first imagined, i'm sure once i get the hang of it it'll come very easy to us!But the manual is really quite terrifying......can someone please give me a quick step by step guide to what i should do when we first get to a site....and what to do when were leaving!!....your help and advice will be totally apprieciated! thanks...wannabeacaravanner!

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Welcome to a great and for me at least life changing world.

Don't panic.. It's not all that hard and i'm sure some of the lovely people on this site will give you great advice. But as a newbie just 2 years back... I'll just tell you the best three things i ever did. 1) buy a copy of the caravan handbook - halfords should have it !! or look at

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/226396/The_Caravan_Handbook/Product.html
It has check lists of what to do when you get onsite - and before you leave (for the first 4 outing at least it was my bible).

2) Join a caravan club - i'm a member of The caravan club -they have technical helplines - if you get stuck and the wardens are helpful.

3) First time out go as local as possible for a weekend ideally to a club site - they really are fantastic (i believe the camping and carvan club are as good as the caravan club) - and if you get stuck - ask a warden or your next door neighbour - we really are a friendly lot us caravanners.

I'd say towing on the motorway isn't hard -and my wife does 50% of it leaving me the onsite bits so both have a go at towing it really helps.

The big thing to remember is no one on site is laughing at you if it goes wrong - everyone was new once and remembers it - so if your struggling and people are looking - it's more than likely that their wondering if you need help so just ask !!!!

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
beverley

Welcome . I would endorse all that Michael has said, all I would add if towing is a problem to you the clubs run very good corses,which will help build your confidence.but above all be confident.in a short time it will all be second nature to you and you will wunder what the problems where. have fun.

David from suffolk

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Beverley,

We are also new to caravanning, having brought an almost new caravan from its original owners... Lovely people who gave us a whole 'Pitching Up' session before we towed the 'van away.

But having just had our 3rd trip out last week, and all I can say is every outing is a learning curve, even after training!

Our first trip out we had an issue with the heating and it was in snowy February... nearly put the 'van up for sale on our return!!!

Second trip we had an issue with the water heater and this trip our fridge didn't work (well it wouldn't if the plug's come out of it's socket - tee hee).

All I can say is keep learning and both get involved in the setting up and sorting out. I do all I can, or all I'm allowed, including empting the cassette (actually I'm the only one that does that?!)

Good luck,

Vicky

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Vicky,

A very warm welcome to caravanning.

Michael has given some excellent advice.Good idea to just go local for the first tme or second.Now above all take your time setting up,once you have parked up on site level your caravan up,connect the electricity up get yourself a good cup of tea and a piece of cake enjoy that, then get on with the rest(we do this even after 32yrs caravanning)If you get in a fix DON,T be afraid to ask for help,we,ve all had times when we,ve needed help ,there,s always someone on site who will help with a problem,just ask,we are a very special kind of people (us caravanners)you are one of us so we help one another.All in all practise makes perfect and as time goes on you,ll wonder why you got so worried about whatever.Keep calm and ask for help NO one will laugh at you.I promise you we,ve all been there.The very best of luck Vicky and you will love every minute of sheer freedom in your second home your caravan.Happy caravanning.Jim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts