Very strange names?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I appreciate that we live in a very modern world, but would you or any of your family name your children i.e. a son, X Æ A-Xii, daughter Exa Dark Sideræl and younger son Techno ‘Tau’ Mechanicus? They have to live with those names for many years before they can change them by deed poll.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
When I was at school in the 70's there was a lad in my class, first name was Dean, surname was.......... Dean!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I went to school with a Gordon Bennett, and knew a chap who's surname was Head who christened his son Richard. He was not the sharpest knife in the drawer!

• Haha
Reactions: jodie w
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was actually christened Olive as the vicar misread the note that had my name on it. Whether his second attempt wiped out his error remains to be seen on entering the Pearlies, or not as the case may be.

Reactions: GaryB and RogerL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate that we live in a very modern world, but would you or any of your family name your children i.e. a son, X Æ A-Xii, daughter Exa Dark Sideræl and younger son Techno ‘Tau’ Mechanicus? They have to live with those names for many years before they can change them by deed poll.
The names might be seen as strange to yourself, especially for an American couple but for Asian families names like these can be quite common.
I must admit the names such as Exa Dark Sidereal do seem strange, Sounds like a chocolate bar,

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I was at school with a chap called Thomas Thomas.
We used to call him Thomas Squared
I actually worked with someone called John Thomas. He was truly fed up with it.

The Welsh Metalwork teacher, at school was called Owen Owen. At that time, in Liverpool, there was a department store called Owen Owens.

When I was teaching I had a number of students with christian name for surnames. It thew me all the time. I even had a James Stewart.

John

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
All our children have normal names as I have seen what can happen if you go silly even 60 plus years ago when I was at school. One teacher I know says they look down the names of new arrivals and can pick out problem children at that stage. Apparently names like Chardonnay produce stuck up children who think the world owes them a living. Apologies to any one of that name who does not fit the norm.
I do remember David Bowie's son Zowie changed his name as soon as he could and many other less known ones must do the same.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
When I was at school (1970's) the name most associated with trouble was "Darren". It's funny how associated memories names from school tend to follow you through adulthood as I still class all Matthew's as geeks due to a class mate at junior school (called Matthew) being an absolute maths boffin!

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
When I worked for BR in the late 70's, and had a guard who worked for me called? Austin Morris. His wife's maiden name was Minnie Minor. True.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts