Vignette Austria and Switzerland

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
We are travelling in to Austria and Switzerland this year & regarding the Vignette's would anyone know as to whether it is better to buy online before we travel or buy when we get there..

Kind Regards.

Alan & Jackie

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Better? I buy at the border just because i always have,and i might change my mind at the last minute which routes i will be using.. nothing really wrong with either option its down to the individual really

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have found that , if you buy them from the internet before you get to SZ. Then you don't stop at the border, saving maybe 30 minutes at the border. And of course questions on how much meat, ( your only allowed 1 KG of meat , each, and its expensive in SWZ. ) But I have never been stopped and checked, , if you are stopped, just declare, and pay the duty. A lot of people travele to France and Germany to get weekly provisions.

Austria, , you can get Day, weekly , monthly. Not a bad price.
Also try not to get trough the Basle border on a late Friday afternoon, , maybe 1 to 2 hrs holdup. But lovely countryside, but MEGA, expensive.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I have found that , if you buy them from the internet before you get to SZ. Then you don't stop at the border, saving maybe 30 minutes at the border. And of course questions on how much meat, ( your only allowed 1 KG of meat , each, and its expensive in SWZ. ) But I have never been stopped and checked, , if you are stopped, just declare, and pay the duty. A lot of people travele to France and Germany to get weekly provisions.

Austria, , you can get Day, weekly , monthly. Not a bad price.
Also try not to get trough the Basle border on a late Friday afternoon, , maybe 1 to 2 hrs holdup. But lovely countryside, but MEGA, expensive.

Where is SZ or SWZ? Never heard of them.

If you mean Switzerland then it is CH.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The Swiss vignette is i believe still set at 40chf. or about £28.50 using this weeks tourist rate 1.38chf to a £. if you can get it cheaper online great. last year though the rate was over 1,5chf to a £, so it was cheaper to buy at the border than on line.assuming nobody used Euro's at the border which the swiss freely except but give a very poor rate for.. back in 2006 there were 2.4chf to a pound massive difference although there was also 1.5 euro's to a pound back then too. one has to be careful to keep an eye on the fluctuations between currencies as the pound has devalued so much from its value 11 years ago and does obviously fluctuate year in year out. so what is true one year may well not be true the next..so its prudent to double check how things stand nearer the time of travel.of course this applies to everything not just vignette rates.

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all,
Many thanks for all your comments they are very helpful,
Probably buy a vignette once over there now , think it's too late to buy online,.
We are travelling down through France to colmar ( staying for a week ) on through Germany stopping for a 2day stop over, ending up at St Wolfgang & the camp called schonblick for 6days
probably back through Germany on to Switzerland for week ,
We have a month to travel to play with.
Also i have just heard about the fuel shortage in France ,
Our holls start on the 4th June, so getting a bit worried about the fuel.
Is anyone having problems, and does anyone know how long is it going on for ????
kind regards Alan & Jackie.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about the French fuel situation, you always have the option of going via Belgium, Luxembourg & Germany before dropping down to Colmar. Not that much longer, much cheaper tolls and of course you have the chance of cheap fuel in Luxembourg.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, we took that route, last October, as you say not a lot of difference in time or distance. But my satnav, took me through the middle of Strasbourg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts