Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The VIN plate on my 2001 Bailey has completely faded due to weathering and no detail is visible. How would the police / highways agency assess or enforce any weight check if the Vin No and MTPLM markings are missing?

The tyres have a load limit of 1340 kg, the axle has a 1300 kg limit. There's no requirement for the VIN No etched on the windows to actually match the VIN No on the bodyshell.

Has my caravan effectively been upgraded to a 1300 kg limit because no lower limit is visible or available.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roger

I can't speak for all makes of 'van of course, but in my experience the VIN plate has always had the details stamped onto it. Therefore fading isn't an option.

The VIN on the windows, should match the number etched onto the chassis and it should also be on your CHRiS certificate.

If in doubt about the weight limit of your particular 'van, I should contact Bailey, as it's them that would have issued a higher MTPLM plate.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roger

I can't speak for all makes of 'van of course, but in my experience the VIN plate has always had the details stamped onto it. Therefore fading isn't an option.

The VIN on the windows, should match the number etched onto the chassis and it should also be on your CHRiS certificate.

If in doubt about the weight limit of your particular 'van, I should contact Bailey, as it's them that would have issued a higher MTPLM plate.
As far as I can see, the chassis members have no stamped plate or direct stamping which has the VIN No and the MTPLM. There's just a printed sticker by the door, like all modern caravans. The axle has an Al-Ko plate attached, showing the axle limit of 1300 kg, but that's higher than the original MTPLM.

I know what the details were before they faded but me telling an official at a roadside weight check would have no legal status.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts