Viwing a caravan..what to look out for?

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi there , I'm viewing a used caravan this evening....a Swift Challenger 4 berth 1996 model.As I'm very new to caravanning , what must I look for apart from the obvious signs of damp , repairs etc?

Any advice greatly appreciated .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony

I don't know anything about this particular model, but in general I suggest checking the following:

-If the CRiS no. is etched onto the windows, check that they all give the same number. Ask to see the CRiS certificate.

-Check the tyre condition. Remember that they should be replaced after 5 years regardless of their visual condition or wear. So a pair of new tyres will cost over

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Mick...that info was invaluable this evening.

I printed off a copy of your reply and looked for and asked the relevant questions.

Did not purchase the caravan as the seller could not provide the documents despite stating it was cris registered and a few other untidy pieces.

Thanks again for the comments.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony

I don't know anything about this particular model, but in general I suggest checking the following:

-If the CRiS no. is etched onto the windows, check that they all give the same number. Ask to see the CRiS certificate.

-Check the tyre condition. Remember that they should be replaced after 5 years regardless of their visual condition or wear. So a pair of new tyres will cost over

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Glad to be of help Tony. Sorry to see that this one wasn't for you but if in any doubt then give it a miss, there's plenty more out there.

One other thing that I forgot to mention is something that you can't check for. That's the feeling you get when going into a caravan. It has to feel right. We saw several 'vans before we bought our first one, sometimes not even bothering to look around. We then walked in one and both of us said, this is the one, it just felt right. We weren't in any hurry to find a replacement but started looking around again after about 5 years. It actually took us another year of on and off looking before we walked in one and said that this is the one, and we've been very please with it (technical faults aside, but that's a book in itself).

Hopefully you haven't been put off looking, the right one will turn up. Good luck, and happy caravaning.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Took the plunge today......

Doubled the budget and bought an immaculate 4/5 berth Swift with 12 months warranty and 12 months storage thrown in .

Complete set up ,awning etc, just needs a wheel clamp and that's it .

As Mick stated it was the feel of the caravan that enticed us.

Thanks for the advice and beware on the roads in the next few weeks......

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Took the plunge today......

Doubled the budget and bought an immaculate 4/5 berth Swift with 12 months warranty and 12 months storage thrown in .

Complete set up ,awning etc, just needs a wheel clamp and that's it .

As Mick stated it was the feel of the caravan that enticed us.

Thanks for the advice and beware on the roads in the next few weeks......
Ah, well done Tony. That's good news. Sorry that you had to pay more but hopefully it'll be worth the extra. I hope that you have many happy days in it. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts