Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure what the person who submitted this topic was up to but the comment is copied and pasted from mine which I posted on August 15th 2015.
The 70th anniversary of VJ day was in fact two years ago, and it's never a good idea to copy and paste a post written by a forum moderator because we have good memories
. :lol:

On a brighter note (pun intended) I'm happy to report that I'm still a member Vivat, and the choir continues to be busy. We will have the honour of singing during the nightly last post ceremony at the Menin Gate, Ypres in May 2018.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Whenever I have been at the Menin Gate Memorial I find you cannot help being overwhelmed by the futility of such a large loss of life.
The Belgians conduct the nightly act of remembrance to honour the dead of all nationalities and to make sure future generations are constantly reminded to never repeat the folly of warring with their neighbours.
The European Union was born to try and find a better way by working together in relative peace for the common good.
Every citizen of a member country enjoys equal rights as a European citizen in an attempt to remove the centuries old attitude of them and us that is the basis of all conflict.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The Menin Gate memorial has featured on the current TV coverage of the 100th anniversary of the battle of Paschendaele which resulted in loss of life on an unimaginable scale.
I agree that such a waste of young life is futile, and NATO has guaranteed the peace and security of northern Europe since the end of the second world war. Britain and her allies sent the BEF to Flanders at the beginning of the Great War to come to the aid of Belgium after her neutrality was violated.
Unfortunately the terms of the treaty of Versailles led in part to the rise of Prussian militarism and the NSDAP led by Adolf Hitler were elected which in turn led to the second world war.
Fortunately Britain and her allies again stood firm against tyranny, and our freedom to determine our own future through the ballot box was granted to us through the sacrifice of our forefathers.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Sorry to drag up an old post particularly as it refers to such a tragic waste.
I have recently retired and finally got down to some serious reading regarding the two wars.
I too find it distressing to think of the millions of people that lost their life due to mis-informed thinking guided by the lies and contorted views of a few with power to convince.
Now we find ourselves in that same situation where a few distorted visions of the current and future situation has led to decision that may have detrimental effect on the vast majority of the population.
Why haven’t we leant?

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
That is so true in most cases.
The few that have put themselves at risk are often treated as gloom mongers, such as Winston.
It is the ignorance of the general population that these politicians use to convince them their policy is the only choice.
£350,000,000 per week for the NHS is a classical massaging of the truth by a politician.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Don't forget the Money Tree :p

I was daft enough to tell Lucy money doesn't grow on trees. She was only two at the time. The reply I got was 'I know that. Silly daddy, it comes from the cash machine' :cheer:

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
VJ Day 18th August came just 10 days after the worlds only use of atomic weapons.
I have real problems with understanding the minds that sanctioned this attack on mainly civilians.
What makes this worse is the fact that war was over in Europe using conventional means and the Japanese were isolated and in retreat.
It is understandable why a lot of people see atomic weapons are dangerous for the whole of mankind.
More worrying its not who owns them but who controls them and their understanding of true situation rather than making decisions based of false propaganda.

Winston Churchil said “Meeting jaw to jaw is better than war.'

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
GD485 said:
Sorry to drag up an old post particularly as it refers to such a tragic waste.
I have recently retired and finally got down to some serious reading regarding the two wars.
I too find it distressing to think of the millions of people that lost their life due to mis-informed thinking guided by the lies and contorted views of a few with power to convince.
Now we find ourselves in that same situation where a few distorted visions of the current and future situation has led to decision that may have detrimental effect on the vast majority of the population.
Why haven’t we leant?
The second world war came about partly as a result of the terms demanded by the victorious 'Great Powers' in the Treaty of Versailles.
The rise of Hitler could have been stopped much earlier, but Britain and France had embraced policies of disarmament after the flower of European manhood had perished in the fields of Flanders.
The policies of appeasement, with the appeasers once described by Churchill as being 'one who feeds a crocodile, hoping that it will eat him last' can never do any good, appeasement only makes matters worse.
World peace is once again being threatened by a posturing megalomaniac dictator who commits vile atrocities against his own people without compunction.
Distorted visions or not, there's no doubt whatsoever that the current threat from this dictator is very real and any aggression should be firmly nipped in the bud before things can escalate out of control.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Isn’t it the case of history repeating itself.
After the end of the Korean War the north was isolated and sanctioned because it was communist. That lead to the rise of an extreme government that used propaganda to convince the population that the USA and others were evil and trying to distroy them.
The world should have tried to negotiate rather that isolate.
It is obvious that outside powers that have their own dislike of western or USA policy are assisting Korea with its nuclear ambitions.
In my opinion the situation has been created from failed foreign policy of western governments trying to punish a country as retribution for a previous military action and its communist inclination.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
What a waste of space the Belgium's are when it came to standing up to the Krauts, just lay on you back and say I'm Neutral, no wonder Dunkirk turned out like it did, by the way Parky thanks for the history lesson,

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
There was quite a few countries that wished to stay neutral in an attempt to stay out of WW2. Most of these countries had suffered badly during the first war and were struggling to recover. Denmark and Norway were invaded by the Nazi’s on the 9th April 1940. Next was Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg on 10th May ‘40.
Britain invaded neutral Iceland on the same day for strategic reasons.
I don’t consider being neutral necessarily a position of weakness but because of depleted resources of men, equipment and finance plus the the will of the people to remain peaceful were the main drivers in many countries decisions.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
GD,
Don't forget about Sweden in WW 2 they also stayed neutral but kept on supplying iron ore and ball bearings to the Krauts, what you also do not mention is Belgium when they stayed neutral they would not alloy the French and the BEF to enter their country so when the Krauts started to run riot in the low countries Belgium made a decision to let the French and Brits in, but it was to late, if you look at the military planning from that era it was necessary for the British and French to have forward defensive positions in Belgium long before the Krauts ever entered the low countries, so then we had Dunkirk, I have been several times with the Leicester branch of the DVA along with my father in law who was actually there with the BEF on the beaches, on his return to the UK he went off on another jolly invading Scilly,

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
camel said:
GD,
Don't forget about Sweden in WW 2 they also stayed neutral but kept on supplying iron ore and ball bearings to the Krauts,

Kraut- definition (in your context) = deragotory.

I have no wish to engage in (nor will I continue to) discussion in this vein, move on camel, most of us already have, the future is ahead and hopefully better, reliving life in a quagmire is not for CARAVAN related topics.

Oops, perhaps I should not have said that :p

I'd rather have MPTLM's and nose weights, and that ain't no fun sometimes :)

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
camel said:
What else do you not like can you give me a list and I'll try to remember it,

I'm not too keen on Pizza camel, but I have to admit that (after a stag outing when I overindulged), I did finish off most of my share :lol:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Camel, you were asked to read and understand forum etiquette on 23rd September after I deleted previous abusive comments that you had submitted.
The word that you have repeatedly used in comments on this thread might have been ok during World War 2 but it is now considered to be a highly insulting, offensive, contemptuous disparaging term that is no longer acceptable for the reasons that I've stated.
No further warnings with regard to your online conduct will be given by me

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Anseo,
Thanks for the comments.
I do agree that derogatory comments have no place on this forum.
This discussion came about from the post about the waste of human life from ww1 with Parksy.
As most posts on this forum tend to become conversations that drift off the subject and this is under the heading of chit-chat which, in my understanding, doesn’t have to be Caravan related.
However I do understand your point and will not be adding anything more on this subject.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
GD485 said:
Anseo,
Thanks for the comments.
I do agree that derogatory comments have no place on this forum.
This discussion came about from the post about the waste of human life from ww1 with Parksy.
As most posts on this forum tend to become conversations that drift off the subject and this is under the heading of chit-chat which, in my understanding, doesn’t have to be Caravan related.
However I do understand your point and will not be adding anything more on this subject.

Not strictly accurate I'm afraid Geoff
Some considerable time ago (2015) I'd taken part in a commemorative service at Lichfield Cathedral to mark VJ day, and I'd shared this information with forum members on an entirely different topic
My original, which was never meant to spark a discussion about past events, had been copied and pasted as an original post to start this thread by a would-be spam merchant to test how our anti -spam systems work.
Naturally I deleted the plagiarised O.P, but this discussion has since opened as conversations often do.
This caravan forum stopped being a platform for any political viewpoint because of forum members at the time (now ex-members) who felt that they just had to push the boundaries of acceptability.
Over the past few years the forum calmed down, and became the informative and friendly caravan related resource that Practical Caravan Magazine deserves.
Because forum members in recent time have respected each other and kept within the boundaries set by forum etiquette, the rigid control that moderators once exercised has been relaxed slightly.
Unfortunately there always seems to be one person who decides that forum etiquette, that everybody agrees to abide by as a condition of membership, doesn't apply to them.
Boundaries are pushed, rules are broken and once again either Damian or myself have to start to delete user generated content, and to issue warnings.
For that reason, this topic is now locked and no further politically related discussions will take place on this forum

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Parksy, Just found out that in our village, Woburn Sands, we are having a memoriable plaque, for Henry Feilding who died at Passchendaele and the planting of an Oak tree, which was grown from an Acorn from the cemetery Belgium where he is buried.
Am I correct you are singing qt Passchendale.?
Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've moved your post to a fairly recent one that encompasses the topic of remembrance Hutch.
We are indeed visiting that area where our choir have been invited to sing during the Last Post ceremony at Menin Gate.
Our trip to Belgium will take lace next May over the Bank Holiday period, and we'll also be singing at Tyne Cot war cemetery, where we will pay homage to many brave men like Henry Feilding, and also at Bruges cathedral and Ghent cathedral.
Knowing our lot there may well be one or two impromptu musical performances in various bars and restaurants while we're there. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts