Volkswagen Tiguan Westfalia detachable towbar with 2 keys and instruction booklet & storage bag

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Amazingly put the towbar on Ebay for sale and within a hour [with offer in place] it was sold for the price I wanted, the only problem that the key was in lock and he wanted it separate, After various attempts the buyers wife suggested a solution which worked? It was on its way to the new owner the next day, well wrapped, pleased to say he was happy with the parcel when it arrived at the destination.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Amazingly put the towbar on Ebay for sale and within a hour [with offer in place] it was sold for the price I wanted, the only problem that the key was in lock and he wanted it separate, After various attempts the buyers wife suggested a solution which worked? It was on its way to the new owner the next day, well wrapped, pleased to say he was happy with the parcel when it arrived at the destination.
What did she do? Did you replace the VW oem rear girder chassis support?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What did she do? Did you replace the VW oem rear girder chassis support?
On three cars now I have left the towbar on and just put the rear cross member in the boot. The cars were on the forecourt still with towbar and I doubt that the cross members were offered to prospective buyers.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On three cars now I have left the towbar on and just put the rear cross member in the boot. The cars were on the forecourt still with towbar and I doubt that the cross members were offered to prospective buyers.
With the previous Jeep when I offered to add the rear cross member the dealer was not interested as apparently the tow bar is a selling point. It is fair hunk of iron, but we manage to off load it to a scrap merchant that comes around every now and then.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
With the previous Jeep when I offered to add the rear cross member the dealer was not interested as apparently the tow bar is a selling point. It is fair hunk of iron, but we manage to off load it to a scrap merchant that comes around every now and then.
Some cars like Jeep and Land-Rover are more attractive with a fitted towbar - but it bothers me that other cars have their towbar removed by the dealer at trade-in time and don't refit the bumper armature as it's not normally visible - such cars would be very weak in a rear end crash, particularly those with a 3rd row of seats in the boot area.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Some cars like Jeep and Land-Rover are more attractive with a fitted towbar - but it bothers me that other cars have their towbar removed by the dealer at trade-in time and don't refit the bumper armature as it's not normally visible - such cars would be very weak in a rear end crash, particularly those with a 3rd row of seats in the boot area.
The vast majority would not know, but an investigation would point back to the dealer or seller if private and they would be in serious trouble so probably not worth the risk?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
And it’s likely that they have no rear recovery point for fitting the eye bolt. My towbars on two cars would have been the recovery attachment as when the OEM cross member had been replaced by the tow bar the towbar had no point into which the eyebolt could be screwed in to.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Volkswagen Tiguan rear cross member still in my garage when i took the car in they did not want that or the towbar
Oh dear, how unprofessional. When the tow bar was removed why wasn’t the cross member replaced, it’s not a long job.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTQ
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Oh dear, how unprofessional. When the tow was removed why wasn’t the cross member replaced, it’s not a long job.
I wonder if there will be implications if dealer sells on the car or any car without adding the cross member as it is no longer standard. Whoever buys the vehicle without the cross member is buying a modified vehicle may not know that it does not have a cross member. This may have an effect on any insurance claim. In addition, it is no longer safe so probably not roadworthy? Could be interesting?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Even if a private sale, here in the UK, surely the vehicle has to be "roadworthy", unless sold as specifically not, would the missing armature a major structural safety item deem the car as un roadworthy?

I suspect in a case of a fatality arising, related to that omission, it would be.

Reactions: Buckman
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Towing puts a lot more stress on a vehicle and in some cases can damage it if towing rating is exceeded. Towing is particularly hard on transmission fluids. Bet most owners towing heavy loads on regular basis don't increase service intervals as per manufacturers recommendations. To me a used vehicle without a towbar is more attractive even though I would need to spend extra to fit towbar.

In case of vehicles especially 4wd used for towing boat there is chance is has had its wheels or even rear submerged in saltwater.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Towing puts a lot more stress on a vehicle and in some cases can damage it if towing rating is exceeded. Towing is particularly hard on transmission fluids. Bet most owners towing heavy loads on regular basis don't increase service intervals as per manufacturers recommendations. To me a used vehicle without a towbar is more attractive even though I would need to spend extra to fit towbar.

In case of vehicles especially 4wd used for towing boat there is chance is has had its wheels or even rear submerged in saltwater.
On the sixties Jeep Gladiator that we used to launch the boat into the sea, quite often the exhaust was bubbling under the water. Used it for many years with hardly any signs of rust. However when we returned home, we did wash it down every time with fresh water as we had to do the same with the two 40hp Yamaha motors.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
On looking to buy, if what we read here is as common as it appears, to avoid a car used previously for towing, just check if it has a "hook", or is missing its rear crash protection armature.

That by the design presents difficulties with Land Rover Disco 3 &4s, but then buyers of them are quite likely to have, and it is something the diesels can take in their stride without much issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts