Volvo C90 diesel model

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive,

I not sure about the loyalty thing because the best make I think I owned was a Renault (Scenic )(a car I probably still have if it hadn't been written off by an uninsured driver!!)

The car had two or three recalls in the three years we owned it from new. So may be it wasn't reliable. But the recalls we always dealt with in a really professional manner by a very good dealer who always arrange a courtesy cars etc.

It was the first time I've owned a car which had to recalled without a service being involved but I felt comfortable with Renaults approach something that I wouldn't have been say with Fiat's ( but it's about perception)

I've only owned one Volvo but my parents have had quite a few over the years and still have one almost for sentimental reasons with well over 250K on the clock. Will my next car be a Volvo..who knows it could easily be a Ford, VW, Citroen, Renault etc I don't by a car for the badge I buy the car for comfort, reliability, safety , running costs etc.

Regards Monkeys Husband
You know me MH - most of the time I am having a laugh!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
But you got to admit that as a supposedly caring company that makes ultra safe cars - its response and excuse is hardly that of a professional organisation.
Agreed but from what I understand - within the PAG - Ford allows a high degree of autonomous management.

I would be surprized if Ford is happy with the publicity!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gio

I really do have a problem understanding the ridiculous assumptions you make!

Just for fun - after all! - it is you that keeps stoking the fires!! Taking your points in turn:-

"clive v. your last response? sounds abit like witfull thinking!

nothing more."

My last response? Not on your life! - I remain as gabby as ever!

"don't have time to give u a full response, so i will take issue

with one piont only for now. your opinion that volvo are talking

tripe when they claim the insurance companies will not let them

near the car!

so now you are an expert on law!"

Err! - when it comes to the "sale of goods Act" and the rules that apply to Insurance Companies - as an IFA, Authorised and Regulated by the FSA - Err! Yes I am - I have to be!! I am also qualified to advise on Trust Law. So before you judge others by your own low standards - I suggest you check the facts first.

"well the fact is an insurance has its own experts,and if they

feel something is a miss, then they will look into it themselvs.

afterall it is them that have to pay out."

Err! - No - the insurance company will pay out to the car owner or whoever insured the car but they would look to reclaim the money from whoever is to blame. If there is a common fault then Volvo caries Public & Professional Liability Insurance that will "settle" the claim with the individuals insurer.

"why would they let somebody else look at the cars?"

Because the car is under warranty! Because under the Sale of Goods Act the manufacturer have to ensure that the product is fit for purpose! Because the law forbids a manufacturer from making a dangerous product. Four new cars of the same type, bursting into flames would, in my opinion, dictate that the manufacturer takes the issue seriously!

"when if indeed there is something wrong with them, they will

want to acumilate all the data for themselves, before somebody

else could destroy or hid the evidence.if indeed there is a

common problem in the first place."

If you are talking about the Insurance Companies accumulating data - yes of course they will do that. Drivers of that type of car may well find the premium and Insurance Rating for the car shoots up! - After all - even the most basic insurance that most people have is Third Party, Fire & Theft. If the insurers believe that Fire is a specific problem with that model car, the Insurance Premium will rise to reflect this.

Finally, what about someone who had one of these car that burst into flames and was insured Third Party only?

Perfectly legal!

BUT - the Insurance Company would not be interested because it has no liability. Whilst I doubt that any owner of a new

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gio

I really do have a problem understanding the ridiculous assumptions you make!

Just for fun - after all! - it is you that keeps stoking the fires!! Taking your points in turn:-

"clive v. your last response? sounds abit like witfull thinking!

nothing more."

My last response? Not on your life! - I remain as gabby as ever!

"don't have time to give u a full response, so i will take issue

with one piont only for now. your opinion that volvo are talking

tripe when they claim the insurance companies will not let them

near the car!

so now you are an expert on law!"

Err! - when it comes to the "sale of goods Act" and the rules that apply to Insurance Companies - as an IFA, Authorised and Regulated by the FSA - Err! Yes I am - I have to be!! I am also qualified to advise on Trust Law. So before you judge others by your own low standards - I suggest you check the facts first.

"well the fact is an insurance has its own experts,and if they

feel something is a miss, then they will look into it themselvs.

afterall it is them that have to pay out."

Err! - No - the insurance company will pay out to the car owner or whoever insured the car but they would look to reclaim the money from whoever is to blame. If there is a common fault then Volvo caries Public & Professional Liability Insurance that will "settle" the claim with the individuals insurer.

"why would they let somebody else look at the cars?"

Because the car is under warranty! Because under the Sale of Goods Act the manufacturer have to ensure that the product is fit for purpose! Because the law forbids a manufacturer from making a dangerous product. Four new cars of the same type, bursting into flames would, in my opinion, dictate that the manufacturer takes the issue seriously!

"when if indeed there is something wrong with them, they will

want to acumilate all the data for themselves, before somebody

else could destroy or hid the evidence.if indeed there is a

common problem in the first place."

If you are talking about the Insurance Companies accumulating data - yes of course they will do that. Drivers of that type of car may well find the premium and Insurance Rating for the car shoots up! - After all - even the most basic insurance that most people have is Third Party, Fire & Theft. If the insurers believe that Fire is a specific problem with that model car, the Insurance Premium will rise to reflect this.

Finally, what about someone who had one of these car that burst into flames and was insured Third Party only?

Perfectly legal!

BUT - the Insurance Company would not be interested because it has no liability. Whilst I doubt that any owner of a new

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Ann

Could we just settle what vehicle the BBC were reporting on? There is no such car as a Volvo C90, neither do Volvo produce a "people carrier".

Volvos come in 4 guises - "S", for saloon - S40, S60 etc, "V" for versatile - V50, V70 (in other words, estates), "C", for coupe or convertible - C70 and "XC", for cross country - XC70 and XC90.

The XC90 is not classified as a people carrier, it's the same type of vehicle as a Mercedes M class and is an SUV, a Chelsea Tractor or a plain old 4x4.

Not having seen the Watchdog programme I don't know if the BBC were calling it a C90, if they were it's another case of them not getting their facts right!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul / Ann

A copy of the report is available on the Watchdog website:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/transport/transport_20060404.shtml
Tho' it is a shortened version and does not mention the fourth fire in a Petrol version that was mentioned in the TV program.

Interestingly this written report also mentions a recall of this model last year for Fires! But again Volvo says they are unrelated? I do not remember this being mentioned on the program but I may have missed it.

So there is either a whole series of umrelated events which cause some of these vehicles to catch fire, or a common problem(s) that is being "downplayed".

Hmmm! - NOT impressed.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Ann

Could we just settle what vehicle the BBC were reporting on? There is no such car as a Volvo C90, neither do Volvo produce a "people carrier".

Volvos come in 4 guises - "S", for saloon - S40, S60 etc, "V" for versatile - V50, V70 (in other words, estates), "C", for coupe or convertible - C70 and "XC", for cross country - XC70 and XC90.

The XC90 is not classified as a people carrier, it's the same type of vehicle as a Mercedes M class and is an SUV, a Chelsea Tractor or a plain old 4x4.

Not having seen the Watchdog programme I don't know if the BBC were calling it a C90, if they were it's another case of them not getting their facts right!
Paul T

The report was on the XC90 which the BBC programme described as 'a people carrier'! Hope this clarifies the situation.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Paul / Ann

A copy of the report is available on the Watchdog website:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/transport/transport_20060404.shtml
Tho' it is a shortened version and does not mention the fourth fire in a Petrol version that was mentioned in the TV program.

Interestingly this written report also mentions a recall of this model last year for Fires! But again Volvo says they are unrelated? I do not remember this being mentioned on the program but I may have missed it.

So there is either a whole series of umrelated events which cause some of these vehicles to catch fire, or a common problem(s) that is being "downplayed".

Hmmm! - NOT impressed.
Thanks, CliveV.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well!

This forum is giving me more entertainment than a full Sky package!

Anyhow my wife really has an honours degree in Law as well as a MBA (Master of Business Administration) so I would like you all to take any of my rantings regarding legal matters as definitive.

Hee Hee!

Happy motoring

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Ann

Driven Volvos for 30 plus years, thier problems started when Ford took them over.
thats interesting did Ford not have a problem with the explorer locking the doors and windows and bursting into flames in america sure someone told me that, they ignored it as it was cheaper to pay out on the accidents/deaths rather than recall all the explorers. Im sure it was the explorer I was told about might be wrong tho

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
She can have degree's as long as your arm cliff, the all knowing gio is always right. Well that's what he seems to imply.

Quote from gio "yarn.. clive what onearth are u on about? have u been reading an insurance mag.....?"

hmmmmmm probably a safe bet considering Clive is in that line of business. lmaaooooooo.

Sorry gio, just eat humble pie and accept you can be wrong just once in awhile :O) You give the impression you are a jack of all trades but a master of none.

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
thats interesting did Ford not have a problem with the explorer locking the doors and windows and bursting into flames in america sure someone told me that, they ignored it as it was cheaper to pay out on the accidents/deaths rather than recall all the explorers. Im sure it was the explorer I was told about might be wrong tho

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
.. ask gio ;O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin you are correct.

The same calculation is done by the been counters on Brittish Rail when it comes to "acceptable losses".

Big companies calculate the cost of recalling an entire fleet of cars or aircraft etc, or repairing an entire length of track against the cost of compensating those injured or the families of those killed.

I personally feel it is an appalling way to run a business, but that is how it is done

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin you are correct.

The same calculation is done by the been counters on Brittish Rail when it comes to "acceptable losses".

Big companies calculate the cost of recalling an entire fleet of cars or aircraft etc, or repairing an entire length of track against the cost of compensating those injured or the families of those killed.

I personally feel it is an appalling way to run a business, but that is how it is done
woops - neant "Bean Counters"

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
clive v

being as i do not post on here, on a regular basis that is,

your statement is yet again an example of your ability to exagerate.

i say it again if you are going to try to talk about a subject,

and come across as an expert [know it all] you should keep your

opinion to yourself until you know for sure what you

are talking about.

the electrical spec of volvo cars in the US, differs from that

of cars for europe...

so again you try to make a link without all the facts,and i say

again 4 fires here in the uk means nothing statistically, so

how on earth do you come to your assumption that ALL four are

linked? i believe 3 were in the boot and the other was in the

engine bay! but you still have the ability to link then!

i will not comment on this fact, as i really do not know if there is a link, and unlike what lordy lordy says, don't make an

habit of posting, unless i see someone lording over a subject!

no and am not talking about lordy.

i believe my last two posts have been easy enough for you with

expectations of grandeur to understand.

i will not be replying on this subject again,unless some REAL

FACTS are produced to justify your original unsubstantaulated

reply.

for lordy

my english grammer can be more than exceptable, but alas i

don't believe in spellcheck and always welcome usefull comments

on it.

i will do the same for u if ever you try to use italian grammer....

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
clive v

being as i do not post on here, on a regular basis that is,

your statement is yet again an example of your ability to exagerate.

i say it again if you are going to try to talk about a subject,

and come across as an expert [know it all] you should keep your

opinion to yourself until you know for sure what you

are talking about.

the electrical spec of volvo cars in the US, differs from that

of cars for europe...

so again you try to make a link without all the facts,and i say

again 4 fires here in the uk means nothing statistically, so

how on earth do you come to your assumption that ALL four are

linked? i believe 3 were in the boot and the other was in the

engine bay! but you still have the ability to link then!

i will not comment on this fact, as i really do not know if there is a link, and unlike what lordy lordy says, don't make an

habit of posting, unless i see someone lording over a subject!

no and am not talking about lordy.

i believe my last two posts have been easy enough for you with

expectations of grandeur to understand.

i will not be replying on this subject again,unless some REAL

FACTS are produced to justify your original unsubstantaulated

reply.

for lordy

my english grammer can be more than exceptable, but alas i

don't believe in spellcheck and always welcome usefull comments

on it.

i will do the same for u if ever you try to use italian grammer....
Thank you gio but I know extremely little Italian with the exception that they use upper case letters AND punctuation. I never mentioned your spelling.

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
Certain postings have been removed as they were purely personal attacks , not related in any way to the original subject matter, ie, the Volvo C90.

Please keep topics on subject, and if memebrers wish to argue among them selves, please do it by PM or exchange of Email addresses.

Do not use these forums for this activity.

Thank You.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Certain postings have been removed as they were purely personal attacks , not related in any way to the original subject matter, ie, the Volvo C90.

Please keep topics on subject, and if memebrers wish to argue among them selves, please do it by PM or exchange of Email addresses.

Thank You.
Yes i note you have removed my resonable responses to the grammer attacks, yet some of them that attacked me are still on!

Please tell me how they are related to the volvo issue?

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site

Thank You.
Situation resolved,all identifiable personal postings removed

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts