Volvo EV Progress

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It seems that I have been under the mistaken belief that fossil fuel was not used in anyway to provide electric for EVs?

I agree with recycling etc, but climate change has hardly been caused by mankind as proved by scientists not on a government payroll! We may have contributed in a small way, but are not entirely responsible. After all did mankind promote the ice age, volcanoes, fire pits etc?

However I am happy for those that can afford EVs, the charging stations etc and good luck to them, but wish they would stop this holier than thou preaching. I will stick with my polluting diesel for the foreseeable future. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I’ve lost track of the times that I have linked charts showing that the rapid ruse in atmospheric carbon dioxide can be linked to the start of the Industrial Revolution, and that in comparison to mankind’s relatively recent emmisions the contribution of volcanoes is again minuscule. Do you have a peer reviewed link to any papers that prove that this phase of global warming is not caused by the descendants from Maropeng 😂

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Where I disagree with Tobes is the idea that mankind has triggered climate change, The climate of our planet has been continually changing over the millenia, our climate is not a stable process, however historically it has had a fairly steady rate of change. Just as I was about to explain Otherclive's response above popped up. We have accelerated the rate of change and that has further destabilised the climates and ecologies abilities to moderate our intervention.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
And everyone is under the illusion that if we go ev, recycling etc. It will save us. Doubt it. Look at your super powers USA, China, Russia what are they doing, nowt, they won't stop with their fossil fuels. Have to remember we are just a small blot on this planet, and if we go 100% green it still won't save the world.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Back to my OP please.
Son says speed over 60 mph eats the battery. Quite significantly..
But using air con the whole 210 miles didn’t suck too much. Even on my diesel I’ve never really noticed a drop in mpg with ac. I suspect the modern ac is far more efficient than ten years ago. Heating is different.
Mine is residual heat otherwise wasted, his EV has to burn the battery,

The EV technology on the Volvo seems to be pessimistic in its calculations. Less chance of running out!

Here I am interested in long distances with EVs not round town which is clearly a different scenario.

Towing?
Twin or single motor? Sons is single . Unless you want to burn rubber single is ample . If the caravan came with a bank of batteries maybe longer tows may happen .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
And everyone is under the illusion that if we go ev, recycling etc. It will save us. Doubt it. Look at your super powers USA, China, Russia what are they doing, nowt, they won't stop with their fossil fuels. Have to remember we are just a small blot on this planet, and if we go 100% green it still won't save the world.
If you have the time just look on the internet at the changes made by China in the field of renewables and nuclear. Yes they still use too much coal but their carbon dioxide emission levels are now beginning to level out, an essential precondition before a reduction. They started their industrial development later than western nations did, so it’s not unexpected is it for them to want to catch up.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Back to my OP please.
Son says speed over 60 mph eats the battery. Quite significantly..

Yeah - speed is a huge part of drag, but goes up with the square, not linearly. This is partly why EV have so much focus on aerodynamic design. If you can minimise drag, you get more range from your limited (relative to fossil fuel) energy store.

But using air con the whole 210 miles didn’t suck too much.

The press have loved making a big deal about aircon, heating and headlights being significant users of energy. As you have noticed, they really are not. Especially with a well designed and insulated (for noise as well as heat) car, that uses a heat pump for heating the AC use is low. There is a display in the Volvo (Ask your so to show you the range assistant) that shows you the relative cost of driving vs climate control over the last 20,40 or 100 miles. Its just 1 or 2 percent.

Even on my diesel I’ve never really noticed a drop in mpg with ac. I suspect the modern ac is far more efficient than ten years ago. Heating is different.
Mine is residual heat otherwise wasted, his EV has to burn the battery,
Here you hit the nail on the head. In an EV, you can see where almost every Wh goes, and its to the drive train. In an ICE, the basic engine is _soooo_ inefficient by comparison (35% vs 95%) that one or two percent lost to cooling (heating is basically a side effect as you say) is lost in the noise.

The EV technology on the Volvo seems to be pessimistic in its calculations. Less chance of running out!
Thats the Google bit - and yes, it is pesimistic - esp if you drive gently and stay below the speed limit. If you drive closer to the speed limit it's very accurate.
Here I am interested in long distances with EVs not round town which is clearly a different scenario.
Of course - round town and local journeys you can basically ignore - after all you have a full range every single morning.
Towing?
Twin or single motor? Sons is single . Unless you want to burn rubber single is ample .
The single still haas a lot of get-up-and-go. the real difference is in towing capacity. In the XC40, the single motor is rated for 1500kg (same as my polestar). The twin is rated as 1800kg.

I am looking at the Polestar 4 as an option for my next, SM is 1500, twin motor 2000kg.

If the caravan came with a bank of batteries maybe longer tows may happen .
This is where things get interesting, but the tradeoffs get hard. A caravan with battery will be much heavier, but you can save weight on leisure battery and motor mover. But how does it charge, and how far can it help.
There are more and more caravan friendly EV chargers. The new Gridserve Winchester hub will have 4.

Reactions: Dustydog
Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
But we make a profit from our reserves of North Sea oil as it sells at a higher price than we pay to import cheaper oil. We don’t produce sufficient gas to be self sufficient.
We don't make anything from the oil apart from tax revenue. The oil belongs the the oil companies not the UK. Unlike Norway who I believe have kept it all for the state.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We don't make anything from the oil apart from tax revenue. The oil belongs the the oil companies not the UK. Unlike Norway who I believe have kept it all for the state.
Pure semantics. Without the oil or gas there would be no tax income from the companies or those employed by them. The companies profit by their activities which benefits shareholders, including pension and investment funds.

Either way in 2022-23 the Government received £9bn in direct tax revenues from the offshore companies. Not a profit?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If you have the time just look on the internet at the changes made by China in the field of renewables and nuclear. Yes they still use too much coal but their carbon dioxide emission levels are now beginning to level out, an essential precondition before a reduction. They started their industrial development later than western nations did, so it’s not unexpected is it for them to want to catch up.

Here you have lost me Clive
This is at variance https://energyandcleanair.org/publi...nues-as-more-provinces-jump-on-the-bandwagon/
Someone somewhere isn’t telling all🙀

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here you have lost me Clive
This is at variance https://energyandcleanair.org/publi...nues-as-more-provinces-jump-on-the-bandwagon/
Someone somewhere isn’t telling all🙀
As ever both are valid in their respective information. My link did not ignore the construction of coal power stations and recognised that the central government needs to wrestle control from the provinces. Last bullet point on page 1 of the Carbon brief link. But they are cleaner stations and CG are looking on them as I back ups to the clean energy sources, which are moving on apace. There will then be a natural redundancy of old coal stations, followed hopefully by the newer ones. CG are also moving towards a national grid too, and nuclear installations are progressing.

So like any complex question there are numerous ways to view the solution.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Pure semantics. Without the oil or gas there would be no tax income from the companies or those employed by them. The companies profit by their activities which benefits shareholders, including pension and investment funds.

Either way in 2022-23 the Government received £9bn in direct tax revenues from the offshore companies. Not a profit?
If you say so.
£9bn is a pittance compared to what we would have got if the government of the day hadn't just licenced/given it away.
Norway has a huge positive sovereign wealth fund, we have debt instead.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you say so.
£9bn is a pittance compared to what we would have got if the government of the day hadn't just licenced/given it away.
Norway has a huge positive sovereign wealth fund, we have debt instead.
I wouldn’t disagree on that account, but too late now to turn the clock back.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This excuse for not recycling and moving to renewables and low impact pollution processes in the UK is often to justify lethargy.

With such diverse processes across the globe, it's easy to claim an individual's activity won't make a difference, and that is largely true, but it's when all the little bits are put together, collective change both in the pollution results and in the mindsets of others can be seen.

Unfortunately for us, the people who are likely to benefit most from our small contributions now, will be our descendants. But equally our descendants are likely to suffer more if we don't change our bad habits.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately for us, the people who are likely to benefit most from our small contributions now, will be our descendants. But equally our descendants are likely to suffer more if we don't change our bad habits.
I am not aware that I have any bad habits except perhaps drinking too much beer. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts