Volvo XC60 Dealer fit towbar and Swift Sprite 2025 with Alko ATC

Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
Hey all,

Recently ordered a new (first) caravan and I am now looking to make sure the towbar that we have is suitable.

We have a 2024 model Volvo XC60 T8 with the dealer official tow bar that was ordered with the new car. Dealer did not ask any questions about what type of towbar to fit or what caravan we would be using.

The Caravan we have ordered is Swift Sprite Special Edition 4EB. It has Alko ATC included with the caravan.

I am a bit confused about the towbar compatibility. There are some websites which says that you cannot use Alko ATC with a "flange" towbar, but when I look at the photos of my Volvo towbar it's looking more like the photos I've seen of flange ones than swan neck - i.e. the neck below the tow ball is quite thick and not that long.

On the other hand quite a few people on Facebook groups said that they use the official Volvo towbar with Alko ATC no problem.

I am probably panicking over nothing but should I maybe ask the dealer if I can bring the car and hook up to an identical caravan to make sure that it's ok?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A normal mechanical Alko stabiliser requires a slightly longer necked towball. It can be fixed or detachable. The reason for the slightly longer neck is to allow adequate articulation movement between the Alko stabiliser and towball. The Alko ATC is totally separate from the stabiliser and doesn’t connect with the towball at all. It takes an electric supply from the cars socket and works by measuring caravan movement which will then activate the caravan brakes if required to control swaying.

IMG_1311.jpeg

Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
A normal mechanical Alko stabiliser requires a slightly longer necked towball. It can be fixed or detachable. The reason for the slightly longer neck is to allow adequate articulation movement between the Alko stabiliser and towball. The Alko ATC is totally separate from the stabiliser and doesn’t connect with the towball at all. It takes an electric supply from the cars socket and works by measuring caravan movement which will then activate the caravan brakes if required to control swaying.

View attachment 7821

I probably should have mentioned it's a retractable towbar.

Towbar.jpg

TRENDING THREADS