Volvo XC90

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi. Very new to caravaing, this has been our first year which we have thoroughly enjoyed. However we have realised that our family car isn't up to pulling the twin axle van that we bought.Now looking at changing our car and have been considerin the Volvo XC90 (03 plate). Has anyone got any words of wisdom on this car? Good or bad.

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
My son had an XC90, very nice safe car passes everything on the road except a filling station!!!
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comment. We've picked up that they are pretty expensive to run. Has your sons car been reliable?

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comment. We've picked up that they are pretty expensive to run. Has your sons car been reliable?
Yes Worzel, had no problems at all, in fact he chaged it for a new V40. He doesn't tow so is happy at the moment with that.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
We tow our Sterling twin axle (MTPLM 1900kg) with an XC90 SE D5 Automatic, a 2007 model with the 185bhp engine. I think the 2003 has a less powerful engine, so performance will depend on how heavy your van is. We waited till the new engine was available.

The car tows very well. So far, in 2 1/2 years we have driven just over 30,000 miles, and we have been pleasantly surprised with the MPG, around 30 solo on mixed terrain, around 25 on average while towing. Certainly better than our old Volvo 940 which only did 15mpg towing!

I would advise you to check out the XC90 forum on the Volvo owners forum. There have been some gearbox problems on older models, and some 4WD problems. And we had to get the Autobox replaced last June due to an electrical fault, though this was done under warranty.

Strangely enough our 1994 940 also had to get a new autobox when 4 years old, also under warranty as we had taken an extended one.

We sold it in 2008 (145000 miles) to our postman and see it parked down the street every day. The only fault it ever had was that autobox.

Other than the autobox, the XC90 has been faultless.

Volvo servicing is about

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
We tow our Sterling twin axle (MTPLM 1900kg) with an XC90 SE D5 Automatic, a 2007 model with the 185bhp engine. I think the 2003 has a less powerful engine, so performance will depend on how heavy your van is. We waited till the new engine was available.

The car tows very well. So far, in 2 1/2 years we have driven just over 30,000 miles, and we have been pleasantly surprised with the MPG, around 30 solo on mixed terrain, around 25 on average while towing. Certainly better than our old Volvo 940 which only did 15mpg towing!

I would advise you to check out the XC90 forum on the Volvo owners forum. There have been some gearbox problems on older models, and some 4WD problems. And we had to get the Autobox replaced last June due to an electrical fault, though this was done under warranty.

Strangely enough our 1994 940 also had to get a new autobox when 4 years old, also under warranty as we had taken an extended one.

We sold it in 2008 (145000 miles) to our postman and see it parked down the street every day. The only fault it ever had was that autobox.

Volvo servicing is about

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site

Volvo servicing is about

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Worzel,

Like Jennifer, we have an XC90 - 2007 model year, 185PS (I never have managed to grasp what is the relationship between PS and BHP) diesel engine. And agree with her comments (even down to the comparison with our previous Volvo 940).

We also had a catastrophic auto gearbox failure this year which was replaced under the warranty.

Our first pair of front tyres only managed 13,000 miles, mostly because I failed to notice quickly enough how the tracking had been knocked out of kilter and they wore badly on the edge. The Nokian tyres I replaced them with did much better and lasted just over 21,000 miles until last month when I replaced them with Vredesteins.

It is really a very good tow car and always feels totally in control of the caravan (ours is a Bailey single axle 1,500Kg). It is is very comfortable too - just loves long journeys.

Our first year (18,000 miles) service was free as part of the car purchase; the second year service cost a few pounds under

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site

Volvo servicing is about

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
"The Nokian tyres I replaced them with did much better and lasted just over 21,000 miles until last month when I replaced them with Vredesteins."

Wow! The original tyres on my landcruiser still have 6mm at 17,000 miles.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The Nokian tyres I replaced them with did much better and lasted just over 21,000 miles until last month when I replaced them with Vredesteins."

Wow! The original tyres on my landcruiser still have 6mm at 17,000 miles.

Double Wow!! The tyres on my Sorento have 5mm left and have done 33700 miles.

Steve W

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We test towed with a demonstrator in 2004, towing a 1700kg caravan along with testing other non Japanese competitors, BMW X5, VW Touareg and LR Disco3.

It was the least satisfactory with this weight van in that the auto was hunting too much if used in "drive".

As a solo vehicle it was very nice and the more car like, however at the weight we were looking at towing it was well out classed.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
I think the more powerful engine now used on the D5 makes a big difference. Unless wanting to use the engine for braking, we just keep it in "drive", no problems at all with "hunting".

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jennifer, no we never found out what had gone wrong with the gearbox. We were coming home from a trip to Spain in May this year (without the caravan). We had just done about an hour in a crawling uphill queue on a very hot day climbing up the Massif Central. We stopped to change drivers after crossing the Millau Bridge and had a message pop up "Transmission Service Required". In the next few miles, while I was still trying to find out from the manual and the Volvo helpline how urgent a message this was - we just lost all drive. There was a very brief sound of boiling from the gearbox area just as it failed.

Much, much, later when the car was being dealt with at a UK dealers I asked them what the actual problem was and they replied that the diagnostic codes had indicated a major failure. They were under instructions from Volvo to NOT open it up but send it back for forensic diagnosis exactly as removed from the car.

Yes, tyre wear does seem to be a problem for the XC90 - they are delivered with Continentals that apparently sometimes only manage 15,000 miles. Some of the claims above for other 4x4s (e.g. 33,700 miles and 5mm left) are very impressive, but I wonder whether we are comparing like with like - the tyres I am talking about are summer road tyres that start at 7mm. What make and style are these tyres that have such impressive lifespans? I'd like to see whether they are available in the size for the XC90. Though I suspect they aren't because when you ring around and ask for availability and prices for a 235/60 R18 it is amazing how many dealers say "oh, youve got an XC90 then"!

Cheers

Mike A

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The tyres on my Sorento are the standard Hankook tyres that Kia fit, nothing special, except they ride very hard and you tend to feel every lump & bump.

I also have to say that I drive like an old maid, trying to get a reasonable fuel return.

Steve W

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mike,

A bit different from our experience, though same outcome.

We were towing from Wincanton to Chirk in early June, just beyond Shrewsbury we got the same "message" as you, and just before it appeared the car seemed to "hesitate" briefly. OH cancelled the message as all seemed well, plus there was absolutely nowhere to stop right then.

We continued a couple of miles then the autobox went crazy, slipping in and out of gear, engine revving wildly, the message reappeared along with the "stop immediately" red light. Luckily just around the next bend we found a lay-by!

Green Flag sent a transporter to take the car and caravan to the CC site at Chirk where we had a booking, and next day took us and the car to the Volvo dealer in Shrewsbury.

They hooked it up to the computer, tried a software upgrade and thought they had fixed it, but then took it for a test drive. Just as they pulled back into the workshop it went crazy again. Brief conference with Volvo HQ and a new gearbox was ordered. Meantime we were given an S80 to use, though it was not suitable to tow our van, so we had to cancel our next 2 sites and stay in Chirk. We got to know the area well as it took 18 days to get and fit the new gearbox.

Our fault codes also indicated a major failure, the mechanic reckoned it was most likely something electrical within the gearbox. Like you, we never did find out exactly what the problem was either.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
Just thought I'd throw in my tuppence worth becuz the XC90 is starting to get some bad press.

I have the lower power version, and tow a 1550 MTPLM van, which it probably is when I've loaded it up,and I have not detected any issue with hunting for the best gear in DRIVE mode.

I also have not had a gear box failure at about 50k miles now.

The front tyres, they last about as long as they did with the Galaxy I had before it. They won't last as long as a proper 4x4 becuz the XC90 is a road car with all wheel drive capability, hence low profile tyres, not tractor tyres.

Road car driving characteristics, with the obvious limitation that it is a bit taller than a mondeo!

Seats 7 FULL SIZE adults comfortably.

Fantastic seating position, you can see things cumin the other way over the top of the hedges.

rear visbility could be better, I'm always very cautious when reversing, but it has collison sensors at the back.

Turning circle could be better also.

but I don't get stuck on damp grass any more.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I wouldn't call "60" low profile, my xtrail has that profile, the last x had 65.

But the audi quattro i had was 225/45/17, now that is low profile, but also gave tram lining, i would never have a car with low profile tyres again.

Also i think you will find that most tyres from new only have 7mm of tyre depth.

As for front tyres only lasting 10k approx, lots of cars have front tyres that last only that long, way back to the first x3 as i recall.

Interesting to read about the xc90 gearbox failures, volvo isn't a make that i associate with poor reliability!

Just a question out of interest, does the auto box have a oil cooler, if so is it big enough?

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I remember on earlier Volvo 4x4's if you changed a tyre you had to change the tyre on the other side of the axle to match wear as they had differential issues,i believe on the XC90 they recommend the same?

It was in the US that they had a few transmission failures,they also say the injectors on the diesels can fail,so if it a poor starter walk away.

A full service history is essential.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you want trouble free motoring go for a Toyota Landcruiser - older model is Colorado later models LC3,LC4, & LC5.

Choose 3.0 D-4D engine Auto gearbox. Colorado was 4 speed auto 25mpg towing 30mpg solo. LC3/4/5 has 5 speed auto 26 mpg towing 31mpg solo. I have owned both models and current car is a LC3. Over the past 5 years apart from services and odd tyres I have had not one single problem !!!!!

We usually do 3000+ miles with our caravan in France each year again with never a problem. I highly recommend these Landcruisers with that turbo diesel engine and either auto gearbox.

Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts