VW Golf 2.0L Estate- owners opinions towing a caravan

May 20, 2021
Visit site
Hello All,

I'm considering changing my car that I use to tow with and was looking for opinions from people who has or had one as their tow car.

We tow a Sprite Alpine 2 (2021)- MTPLM OF 1218kg.

For my needs I think I've narrowed it down to either a Passatt or Golf estate. To me the Passatt is a little bigger but seems more expensive to buy second hand.

The Tow Car reports I've read for both cars are very good.

Any opinions?

I'm looking for an estate. Have I overlooked any other car? Reasonable mpg when not towing, good bhp & torque.

David.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The 2.0 litre Octavia is a well regarded tow car. It’s based on the Golf platform and of course the Golf and Octavia share many components and powertrain. So I’d would not have any qualms re a Golf estate towing 1218 kg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are a number of Volkswagen Audi Group cars which use virtually the same running gear, so VW Skoda or Seat models could be included. But so could Ford and Vauxhall and CItroen Peugeot many of which would be capable of towing your caravan.

When choosing any car it is always important to check the technical details to ensure they are legally able to tow the caravan, don't assume please check as even models that may appears similar may have different limitations.

Reactions: WayneS
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I think the press will be right. Ask on any forum and you'll get complex confusing replies ie those who have one and love it and alternative suggestions plus complex weight answers!!! I shudder when I see this sort of question these days!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;)

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Think slightly out of the box, and have a look at the Insignia A Sport Tourer Or the Grand Sport Insignia B VW are expensive compared with a preowned or new Insignia A fully loaded Elite. excellent.

• Haha
Reactions: dwk789 and JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When we had our Mondeo estate it never felt comfortable towing. Can't remember who told us, but suggested it was because the Mondeo estate had a long overhang at the rear. Not sure if there is any truth in this but with a MTPLM as low as yours, it should not be an issue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When we had our Mondeo estate it never felt comfortable towing. Can't remember who told us, but suggested it was because the Mondeo estate had a long overhang at the rear. Not sure if there is any truth in this but with a MTPLM as low as yours, it should not be an issue.
I have had three Mondeos two estates and a hatchback. They were the first and second generation models. Al towed very well and we’re excellent solo cars. The early Mondeos were TCOY, so I assume you are referring to subsequent generations.

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
My lad has a Mondeo and one of them Hayondi used for work motor, four wheel drive with a crew cab thing a ma jig.

Prefers to tow with the Mondeo.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think I should throw another potato in the soup... Whilst diesels have earnt a good reputation of towing due the the wide power band at low rpm with good torque, The most recent crop of petrol engines with turbo's have closed the gap and should not be dismissed.

Also a caravan with an MTPLM of only 1250kg, there are now a wider range of EV's which could also fit the bill.

Do your research.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have had three Mondeos two estates and a hatchback. They were the first and second generation models. Al towed very well and we’re excellent solo cars. The early Mondeos were TCOY, so I assume you are referring to subsequent generations.
This was a 2010 and towing very close to the kerb weight of the car which is 1557kg. I think the MTPLM was about 1450kg as it was a twin axle. Only did a few tows with it before getting a SUV. The big issue was the Powertrain gearbox and hesitation with changing down. Ford admitted there was an issue and we got a full refund plus the cost of the fitted tow bar.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This was a 2010 and towing very close to the kerb weight of the car which is 1557kg. I think the MTPLM was about 1450kg as it was a twin axle. Only did a few tows with it before getting a SUV. The big issue was the Powertrain gearbox and hesitation with changing down. Ford admitted there was an issue and we got a full refund plus the cost of the fitted tow bar.
Fords Powershift gearbox suffered issues across a number of models. My daughter in a 2014 Focus had the original rebuilt under warranty and then had to have it fully replaced. Now with a new Corolla hybrid her “anxiety” levels are measurably lower. 👍

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Fords Powershift gearbox suffered issues across a number of models. My daughter in a 2014 Focus had the original rebuilt under warranty and then had to have it fully replaced. Now with a new Corolla hybrid her “anxiety” levels are measurably lower. 👍
The issues were such that Ford withdrew the DCT powershift transmissions completely in North America and reverted to conventional torque converter automatics.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The issues were such that Ford withdrew the DCT powershift transmissions completely in North America and reverted to conventional torque converter automatics.
Class actions focus the minds of business. I think they also have a 10 year warranty to those who owned such gearboxes. But not in UK where it was kept under the counter on 1:1 with the customer if the dealership felt it necessary. But my daughter had lost faith in it by then given that it always had a hesitancy and she felt one day it might let her down at a crucial moment.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Class actions focus the minds of business. I think they also have a 10 year warranty to those who owned such gearboxes. But not in UK where it was kept under the counter on 1:1 with the customer if the dealership felt it necessary. But my daughter had lost faith in it by then given that it always had a hesitancy and she felt one day it might let her down at a crucial moment.
Very dangerous when solo and even worse when towing a caravan and approaching a round about. Ford did not give us much of an argument.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Very dangerous when solo and even worse when towing a caravan and approaching a round about. Ford did not give us much of an argument.
Sounds just like the concerns my daughter had yet despite the dealer telling her that it would be looked after for 10 years, 100k that’s no consolation if it cuts at a junction and you are side swiped.

May 20, 2021
Visit site
The 2.0 litre Octavia is a well regarded tow car. It’s based on the Golf platform and of course the Golf and Octavia share many components and powertrain. So I’d would not have any qualms re a Golf estate towing 1218 kg.

Thanks otherclive. I'll have a read about the Octavia.

After I'd written the post last night I thought of another car. The BMW series 3 estate (second hand). Generally I'm not keen on BMW's but its worth considering I suppose.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

After I'd written the post last night I thought of another car. The BMW series 3 estate (second hand). Generally I'm not keen on BMW's but its worth considering I suppose.
My grandson has a 3 series Touring. Nice car but quite limited loading volume, in fact he carries his Vizla on the back seat of his 5 series saloon…..more room. . Skoda consistently do well in the Towcar of the year awards and have done for many years. I had a 2014 Skoda Superb estate with the 2.0 litre diesel 4WD DSG. Lovely car and I’m 6ft 4 and even with the drivers seat set back I could still sit comfortably as a rear passenger behind it. The load area is immense larger than my previous 2010 XC70. VW Group latest petrol TSI engines are good performers and with your weight caravan could be considered. But a diesel Golf, Octavia, Passat, Superb etc could future proof you if you decided at some stage on a larger caravan.

Always a difficult choice. 👍

Reactions: dwk789 and JezzerB
Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
We towed with a Passat estate 2.0 TDI for 3 years and it was brilliant. Currently use a VW Arteon with the same engine and that's even more brilliant.

The Golf takes the same range of engines but is that bit smaller and lighter - but should still comfortably tow 1218kg.

The Skoda Superb and Octavia are mechanically identical to the VW Passat and Golf respectively and are therefore also worth looking at. They're a bit cheaper and nastier looking in some places - particularly inside - but are also a bit cheaper to buy and are just as capable.

The best engine choice for towing in all cases is the 2.0 TDI - the 150bhp version is the most common and is absolutely fine, but there are more powerful versions available if you really must beat everyone else away from traffic lights. However, depending on your budget and driving habits when you're not towing, the PHEV versions will also be capable of towing your caravan and could be worth looking at.

The Vauxhall Insignia, BMW 3 series and Ford Mondeo mentioned earlier in this thread should be fine also - to be honest you're spoilt for choice!

Reactions: dwk789 and DaveA1
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We are on our third Passat Estate and would find it hard to change. Comfortable, quiet, very economical to run, lots of useful bells and whistles, a cavernous boot, and relaibility like you would not believe. The MQB chassis is common to the Golf, Passat and others further up the range and their Audi, Seat, and Skoda equivalents <except> that Skoda make the wheelbase slightly longer giving significantly more legroom throughout. I am over 6ft and the Superb is the only 'normal' car I have ever been in where I can sit behind the driver with my legs in front of me and the driver's seat fully back doesn't touch 'em. The Superb is also a brilliant motor for any very tall person, say over about 6ft 6in, as it has enormous front legroom as well.

When VW took over Skoda, the latter were a joke in the car industry. Now having funding and access to some of the best chassis and engines ever built the management decided they had a point to prove - and still do. It has been long accepted that the build quality of most of what is produced in Pilzen* is in the main better than Audi. We had an Octy Estate 1.9 TDI 130 that was at the end of the Mk1's and it was a superb motor. The current version is no different. Although it won't bother the OP the only difference against many others is that the Octy Estate noseweight is only 75Kg. Apart from that consider it a slightly stretched Golf Estate (in the same way that as Superb is stretched.)

*We went to Germany on hols in 1991 after the wall had fallen and did a day trip from where we were staying to Prague before it got westernised. This including going past the Skoda factory in Pilzen; it had the biggest bus station out front that I have ever seen by a country mile!!

Reactions: dwk789
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
We towed with a Passat estate 2.0 TDI for 3 years and it was brilliant. Currently use a VW Arteon with the same engine and that's even more brilliant.

The Golf takes the same range of engines but is that bit smaller and lighter - but should still comfortably tow 1218kg.

The Skoda Superb and Octavia are mechanically identical to the VW Passat and Golf respectively and are therefore also worth looking at. They're a bit cheaper and nastier looking in some places - particularly inside - but are also a bit cheaper to buy and are just as capable.

The best engine choice for towing in all cases is the 2.0 TDI - the 150bhp version is the most common and is absolutely fine, but there are more powerful versions available if you really must beat everyone else away from traffic lights. However, depending on your budget and driving habits when you're not towing, the PHEV versions will also be capable of towing your caravan and could be worth looking at.

The Vauxhall Insignia, BMW 3 series and Ford Mondeo mentioned earlier in this thread should be fine also - to be honest you're spoilt for choice!
Think you have hit the nail on its head, It's down to personal choice. All makes of cars have thire Friday afternoon lemons. You make your choice and pays ya money.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are on our third Passat Estate and would find it hard to change. Comfortable, quiet, very economical to run, lots of useful bells and whistles, a cavernous boot, and relaibility like you would not believe. The MQB chassis is common to the Golf, Passat and others further up the range and their Audi, Seat, and Skoda equivalents <except> that Skoda make the wheelbase slightly longer giving significantly more legroom throughout. I am over 6ft and the Superb is the only 'normal' car I have ever been in where I can sit behind the driver with my legs in front of me and the driver's seat fully back doesn't touch 'em. The Superb is also a brilliant motor for any very tall person, say over about 6ft 6in, as it has enormous front legroom as well.

When VW took over Skoda, the latter were a joke in the car industry. Now having funding and access to some of the best chassis and engines ever built the management decided they had a point to prove - and still do. It has been long accepted that the build quality of most of what is produced in Pilzen* is in the main better than Audi. We had an Octy Estate 1.9 TDI 130 that was at the end of the Mk1's and it was a superb motor. The current version is no different. Although it won't bother the OP the only difference against many others is that the Octy Estate noseweight is only 75Kg. Apart from that consider it a slightly stretched Golf Estate (in the same way that as Superb is stretched.)

*We went to Germany on hols in 1991 after the wall had fallen and did a day trip from where we were staying to Prague before it got westernised. This including going past the Skoda factory in Pilzen; it had the biggest bus station out front that I have ever seen by a country mile!!
I’m 6ft4 and in my 2014 Superb didn’t need the driver seat fully back, but when I did put it right back I could still sit comfortably in the rear seat behind. Also a feature of the Superb that was useful is the rear seat bases pull up and forwards to then provide a cross car loading area. Used fir awning, hold-all etc. As for the load area I have never had a car where I had to really lean a long way forward in order to place kit at the forward end.

An excellent all round car and accomplished tug.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I’m 6ft4 and in my 2014 Superb didn’t need the driver seat fully back, but when I did put it right back I could still sit comfortably in the rear seat behind. Also a feature of the Superb that was useful is the rear seat bases pull up and forwards to then provide a cross car loading area. Used fir awning, hold-all etc. As for the load area I have never had a car where I had to really lean a long way forward in order to place kit at the forward end.

An excellent all round car and accomplished tug.
I have the same problem, but I'm only 5'10 My brother was 6'2" but if we sat on the same bench I appeared to be an 1" taller. Short fat hairy legs.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Well my brother got a company car in 2008 a BMW 3 Series 320d Touring he brought of the company when he was made redundant and he owned it for 14 years he says it great why change it when it not broken

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts