VW Golf 2.0L Estate- owners opinions towing a caravan

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Well my brother got a company car in 2008 a BMW 3 Series 320d Touring he brought of the company when he was made redundant and he owned it for 14 years he says it great why change it when it not broken
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - I've tried to do that with all my car purchases, with little success - I sold a couple of Cavaliers when I should have kept them, I sold my Astra after an accident repair as it just didn't drive the same, I wrote the Subaru off, I sold the Hyundai Santa Fe after an engine rebuild when the warranty ran out - the VW Touareg's going fine 🤞

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - I've tried to do that with all my car purchases, with little success - I sold a couple of Cavaliers when I should have kept them, I sold my Astra after an accident repair as it just didn't drive the same, I wrote the Subaru off, I sold the Hyundai Santa Fe after an engine rebuild when the warranty ran out - the VW Touareg's going fine 🤞
Hi Roger my brother own a Ford Galaxy before the company car and that was great i hope your present car keeps doing okay keep fingers crossed

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
New 2023 Skoda Superb spied out testing. Clearly Skoda wish to continue the VAG makes good reputation for towing. The Passat will be made alongside the Superb in Bratislava CZ.

6202203B-B77A-46AD-9661-65CE99285414.jpeg

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
New 2023 Skoda Superb spied out testing. Clearly Skoda wish to continue the VAG makes good reputation for towing. The Passat will be made alongside the Superb in Bratislava CZ.

View attachment 3530
Czechoslovakia had been created in 1918 after WW1 - it was dissolved peacefully and split to form the Czech Republic and Slovakia in 1993 - Bratislava is in present-day Slovakia.

The Skoda factory in Bratislava has an excellent reputation, building VW Touareg, Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne as well as Skoda models.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Czechoslovakia had been created in 1918 after WW1 - it was dissolved peacefully and split to form the Czech Republic and Slovakia in 1993 - Bratislava is in present-day Slovakia.

The Skoda factory in Bratislava has an excellent reputation, building VW Touareg, Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne as well as Skoda models.
And there I was thinking I was being helpful in inserting CZ so that readers would know they two models were not being built in Germany. Clearly my O level in Geography isn’t much use now. But History still holds firm. 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: dwk789
May 20, 2021
Visit site
We are on our third Passat Estate and would find it hard to change. Comfortable, quiet, very economical to run, lots of useful bells and whistles, a cavernous boot, and relaibility like you would not believe. The MQB chassis is common to the Golf, Passat and others further up the range and their Audi, Seat, and Skoda equivalents <except> that Skoda make the wheelbase slightly longer giving significantly more legroom throughout. I am over 6ft and the Superb is the only 'normal' car I have ever been in where I can sit behind the driver with my legs in front of me and the driver's seat fully back doesn't touch 'em. The Superb is also a brilliant motor for any very tall person, say over about 6ft 6in, as it has enormous front legroom as well.

When VW took over Skoda, the latter were a joke in the car industry. Now having funding and access to some of the best chassis and engines ever built the management decided they had a point to prove - and still do. It has been long accepted that the build quality of most of what is produced in Pilzen* is in the main better than Audi. We had an Octy Estate 1.9 TDI 130 that was at the end of the Mk1's and it was a superb motor. The current version is no different. Although it won't bother the OP the only difference against many others is that the Octy Estate noseweight is only 75Kg. Apart from that consider it a slightly stretched Golf Estate (in the same way that as Superb is stretched.)

*We went to Germany on hols in 1991 after the wall had fallen and did a day trip from where we were staying to Prague before it got westernised. This including going past the Skoda factory in Pilzen; it had the biggest bus station out front that I have ever seen by a country mile!!

Thanks for your posts SamandRose & Woodentop. Enjoyed reading them and your views.
I expect I'd be OK with the Octavia, Superb, Golf or Passat estate. I suppose its what comes up at what price when I start looking in earnest.

TRENDING THREADS