vw sharan, ford galaxy, seat alambra, kia sedona, voyager

Jul 19, 2006
Visit site
Not a veteran at this due to the fact that we only got our van (Bailey Ranger 550/6) last Friday, but, I do have a Ford Galaxy 2.3 Zetec Automatic.

Towed for the first time last weekend and it was great on the flat, downhill etc, I did not know the van was on there. But on an uphill section, admittedly quite a steady uphill climb on the M25, I was struggling to maintain 40mph and my temperature gauge was climbing too (went up to about 75% where normally it runs at 50%).

The Kerb weight on my Galaxy is approx 1750kgs, the max towing weight is just over 1300kgs and the Bailey is under this figure, so all dealers etc. say it will all be fine. I am not so sure, but off again tomorrow for some more testing ;o)

But I am seriously contemplating a 4x4, really impressed with the Kia Sorrento, went to the motorshow yesterday and went on the advetureland setup that they have. The Sorrento made it all seem very easy.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Got an 04 Sedona, no particular problems as yet! been up a few hills with no problems,

its a 2.9 deisel ,max tow weight 2000kg, my van is 1300kg . Quite happy to be well below the 85%.

The only time the fuel consumption really goes up is when towing round all those lake district windy roads! but thats to be expected I suppose!

Tinax

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
A neighbour was a Service manager for a Chrysler dealer, his voyager had quite a low weight towing weight and there were issues with the diesel engines.

The latest models may have a Mercedes diesel I guess but I would check it out as the original diesel engine was from an unusual source I believe.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Unless I am mistaken, the maximum permissible towload of the Voyager has even been reduced from, I believe, 1600kg, to 1520kg, making it a non-contender for quite a number of potential customers wanting to tow larger caravans.

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Jo-anne

VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy & Seat Alhambra, one & the same vehicle, just badge engineering. All made in the same factory in Spain

Seat give you the best value for money, more goodies for less bucks.

Go for the 1.9 TDi, but be careful as this engine has different power outputs,74 to 96 Kw, (80 to 105 bhp, very latest models have 2.0 TDi 140 or 170bhp) go for the highest you can get, you'll find they all make good tow cars & reasonably economical too if you stick to diesel.

GeorgeB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
jo-anne,

Previously towed with a 1.9td Galaxy good tow car but just bought a Renault Espace, 2.2 dci brilliant loads of room just come home from two weeks in france, got 21mpg well pleased.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm normally a Renault man to the core, but the Kia Sedona does have a lot to offer for the bucks.

A 2.9 ltr diesel that does over 45mpg solo and high 30's towing. Boot space with all seats in use. Plenty of room being slightly wider bodied htan most MPVs.

The Chrysler isn't worth considering as the sedona overtook that one years ago (look at the family resemblance, Kia took a voyager broke it down and made it better and cheaper).

Of the Ford, VW and Seat trio, I'd go Seat everytime. The 170BHP 6 speed manual diesel being the best choice. Oodles of torque and power coupled to a strong 6 speed gearbox and good fuel economy too. Being more proportionate to normal UK car sizes (width) does give it the edge in our tight car parks.

I'm afraid Renault have let their leadership of the MPV market slip through their fingers. The grand Espace is unwieldy and too full of techno gizmo's that are not reliable and the new vehicles are just not built to last.

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
Tow car: T Galaxy 2.3 Vtech

Even going across the pennines and some of the very steep areas there, the galaxy outdid its self I would also point out that I am pulling a 17' Abbey For anyone wanting a monster workhorse this is it, there would be only one better in my thoughts that would be the 2.5l version which should have no problems what so ever

Hi all you sad caravaners like me I live n Glagow and took my outfit to France for my holidays.We sailed from Hull (P & O) to Zeebrugge in Belgium.My outfit is a Galaxy TDI 150hp and a Bailey Senator Arizona with a caravan mover fitted,also 2 sets of golf clubs and an elictric golf trolly and the usual bits and bobs.So we left Glasgow early doors and put the foot down (65-70 mph) and paid the price at the pumps after 300 miles and nearly a tank of fuel (

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
I have 105bhp Galaxy 1.9 Diesel, towing an Aventura 330. Tows like a dream. Consumption always just under 30 mpg (and I mean just under!).

This is my 3rd Galaxy, and have just ordered the new one. Highly recommended.

Agree with Steve in Leo re the Espace. Had one for a coupla weeks on test drive and soon got fed up with all the technological wizadry. The Galaxy is more of a work horse.

Aug 15, 2006
Visit site
Tow car: T Galaxy 2.3 Vtech

Even going across the pennines and some of the very steep areas there, the galaxy outdid its self I would also point out that I am pulling a 17' Abbey For anyone wanting a monster workhorse this is it, there would be only one better in my thoughts that would be the 2.5l version which should have no problems what so ever
Martin, I too have a Galaxy 2.3 but am not happy with its towing performance and MPG. What MPG do you get and what MTPLMIS YOUR CARAVAN?

Aug 26, 2006
Visit site
We towed a 1997 Swift Challenger 530 with a 1998 petrol Seat Alhambra 2 litre engine for five years - although on paper this was a pretty good match, the Alhambra lacked "grunt" in a slight headwind and on long hills.

We understand that the diesels are better but have just changed to Hyundai Terracan, which we haven't towed with yet.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
I have a seat alhambra 1.9 tdi 6 speed manual 130 bhp fitted with a dms engine re-map which gives 172 bhp and oodles of torque, the car is without question the absolute best towcar i have ever owned it is an absolute gem to live with. it tows our ace celebration 590 twin axle with ease and never once have i had any concerns or nasty surprises with the handling. just done 1650 mile round trip to france and back, not a murmour, averaged 30 to 35 mpg with the van and round about 50 solo. at one point we where following a french outfit and did not realise untill i looked at the speedo that we where doing 75 mph, the rev counter showed just 2500 rpm in 6th and for 200 miles we never changed down a gear. leave the petrol versions well alone they are gutless and very thirsty but get a tdi 1.9 or the newer 2.0 and have the sport suspesion fitted as i have and you wont look back. seat should really pick up on how good this car is as a towcar.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jeff, did you consider the S-Max instead of the Galaxy. We have a galaxy 1.9 td 115 at the moment and it is brilliant at towing. Changing the car in March but don't like the shape of the new Galaxy. The S-Max has more or less the same spec (weights etc). If you did consider the S-Max as well what made you stay with the Galaxy. We don't know which one to go for at the moment. Thanks in advance, Helen.

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Jeff

Have you been able to source a towbar for the new Galaxy, if so who. The only one I can find is the Ford factor fit which is the swan neck type which I don't want.

John

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
I've had 3 over the years all from new. Taken all too and from Spain with kids, bikes on roof and 1550 kg of caravan.

1997 Galaxy 2.8 4x4 towing 12mpg solo 18mpg

2001 Galaxy 2.8 24v towing 19mpg solo 23mpg

2002 Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.5CRD towing 27mpg solo 42mpg

The figures speak for themselves.

Steve

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Just to add my gallons worth our VW Sharan always does 25mpg with our 23ft 1400 kilo van on the back, only once did we get 20 to the gallon from it and that was into an incredibly strong headwind.

I can easily get 50mpg with a steady right foot at 60 mph on the motorway solo.

One of the key points I think TJ_4 is trying to get over is that Petrol should achieve less mpg than a diesel car.

If they had a diesel one they would have suffer so much less in the pocket.

The Galaxy forum never gives any owner reporting less than 30 plus mpg out of a diesel. Driving style is of course the biggest determiner of mileage out of a tank full of fuel.

MH

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts