VW Tig 2018 - 2006 Caravan - Towing Electrics :(

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,
I have read so many threads but the information seems almost conflicting on some threads, i'm guessing that's becuase some don't explain their layout very good, so hoping somebody could help me please :)

I am just having a electronically deployable towbar fitted to my vehicle it's a 2018 VW Tiguin, ready for when we pick up our first Caravan in a couple of weeks. We have gone for a 2006 Avondale Osprey 4 berth with twin 7 pin connectors.

My car will be having a single 13 pin adapter being fitted, VW have told me.

Originally i thought i could just buy a Male 13 pin to twin female 7 pin connectors, and all would be good when hooked up.

It seems this may not be the case, and the fridge / battery and reversing lights will not work with this adapter.

Can anybody shed some light onto this for me please, do i need to ask the VW dealer to do anything extra with there wiring to ensure all works at the same time when Towing.

Also should our new towbar be okay with an Alko stabiliser?
Kind regards and thank you.
Ryan

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You need to tell the dealer that you require the 13 pin socket on the car FULLY wired and the car coded to recognise when the van is connected to the car.
It would be preferable to also change the van connectors to one 13 pin plug, there have been many cases of complaints about 13 to 2x7 pin adaptors.

VW amongst others do not have the fridge and battery charging circuits enabled in their car specific wiring loom.

As far as the towbar is concerned it will be OK for the Al_Ko hitch, just make sure all the paint is off the towball itself and keep it, and the van stabiliser pads clean. Use Brake Cleaner (NOT brake fluid !!!!)

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
You need to tell the dealer that you require the 13 pin socket on the car FULLY wired and the car coded to recognise when the van is connected to the car.
It would be preferable to also change the van connectors to one 13 pin plug, there have been many cases of complaints about 13 to 2x7 pin adaptors.

VW amongst others do not have the fridge and battery charging circuits enabled in their car specific wiring loom.

As far as the towbar is concerned it will be OK for the Al_Ko hitch, just make sure all the paint is off the towball itself and keep it, and the van stabiliser pads clean. Use Brake Cleaner (NOT brake fluid !!!!)

Thanks, Damnian regarding the stabiliser, so do i need to strip the paint from the towball itself then buddy?

Where will i find the van pads ?

Sorry not picking the caravan up until 2 weeks, trying to be proactive.

Last edited:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The towball(just the actual ball itself) should have absolutely NO paint or other protective film on it, it must be bright and shiny metal.
Use Wet & Dry to remove any paint or film leaving a slightly rough finish.
The stabiliser pads are up inside the hitch ,where the towball goes, one each side and one at the top.

A good squirt of Brake Cleaner will clean them unless the previous owner has contaminated them .

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
The towball(just the actual ball itself) should have absolutely NO paint or other protective film on it, it must be bright and shiny metal.
Use Wet & Dry to remove any paint or film leaving a slightly rough finish.
The stabiliser pads are up inside the hitch ,where the towball goes, one each side and one at the top.

A good squirt of Brake Cleaner will clean them unless the previous owner has contaminated them .
Your a star cheers mate !!!!!!!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

How far back are you going? Recent cars from all brands in the VW Group have had battery charging and fridge as standard with factory-fit equipment.

In the case of dealer-fit, it will depend whether the technician configures it rather than the wiring loom.

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
How far back are you going? Recent cars from all brands in the VW Group have had battery charging and fridge as standard with factory-fit equipment.

In the case of dealer-fit, it will depend whether the technician configures it rather than the wiring loom.

2018 is the year of my car, but i am having it fitted this week at the official VW garage .

Does that mean i will be okay?

Edit - Just phoned VW - they told me all there equipment is plug and play from factory no manual messing / chopping, so i assume i should be good with both cables 12N 12S?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020
Visit site

Is this the same when people are hooking up to an adapter from 13 Pin Car Male to 2 x 7 S/N pins for the caravan side?

May 2, 2020
Visit site
I don't think there is an issue if it's direct 13/13 only if its 13 > 7x2 split, I may be wrong though. I'm not a pro!
Hi welcome to the forum we have used a 13 pin to 12n and 12s adapter for a few years and not had any problems just ensure that 13 pin socket on car is fully installed. We usually travel 3000 to 5000 per year in all weathers

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi welcome to the forum we have used a 13 pin to 12n and 12s adapter for a few years and not had any problems just ensure that 13 pin socket on car is fully installed. We usually travel 3000 to 5000 per year in all weathers
Thank you good to know ! =) nice to meet you !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts