VW Tiguan: do you own one?

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
Really fancy one but can any owner kindly tell me what mpg you really get? VW quote combined 39 mpg but so do Nissan for the X Trail and I only got 30 with that. (Old model, 2.2 DCi)

Thanks

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
I've got a 2.0 TDi SE, it's done 7500 miles, and is just starting to loosen up. I'm getting 42-46 solo on a run and 26-32 towing, depending on my right foot and the type of roads.

I tow a 1140 kg caravan, which is 72% of the kerb weight.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
henry

i have not heard of any owner of the first xtrail getting so low a mpg, that is with the 2.2 dci 134bhp model.

I was getting around 30mpg towing 1330kg.

solo high 30's , best 42mpg.

Something was wrong with the car?

All the cars i have owned, i have always got urban figures driving locally, and combined figures on a run solo, always found the other figure (what was it?) unobtainable.

i haven't towed with the new xtrail i have (171bhp version), but solo the average computer reading has never gone below 40mpg, over 1500 miles.

not relevant to you request i know, but didn't what you to assume your experience with a x trail, is the norm.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray

All the car computers I have had have been made in the Hans Christian Anderson school of fairy stories

The Picasso was alarming as it showed 999mpg down a local hill and we had fears of the tank overflowing

The new XT computer has no more credibilty for me but I do brim the tank every time

I get by that method 35mpg on short runs filling up once a fortnight and about 24 mpg towing a 1560kg max caravan

With the 2.2 diesel I got 36/37 mpg week in week out and about the same towing as with the new model

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Watson johng

I haven't validated the xtrail computer reading, i did read that some one found theirs 2mpg out, so that's near enough for me.

When i had my audi, i did check that, i found it to be 1mpg out, checked against the brim to brim method. So you really cannot generalise these things.

I am not a fast driver, very rarely will i floor the throttle, i use the brakes very little, anticipate well in advance, and importantly for economy accelerate leisurely, going through the gears.

The xtrail is that sort of car, so was the A4.

The 999 reading you refer to is an instantaneous reading, much like the old vacuum gauges, and are quite useless, i use the average reading.

If you are getting 35mpg i consider that quite good for a 1700kg car, with 148bhp.

However as often happens the more powerful engine can be even more economical.

I'll let you know what i get towing, but i find the 2l engine not quite as toquey low down as the 2.2, but i do hope for more than 24mpg, that's poor, having said that i do tow 1330kg, 230kg lighter.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
24 is about what I got from all the XTs towing and I don't normally exceed the UK speed limit even in France

My friend was getting about 1 mpg more with his Freelander towing a lighter van when we did the trip to Spain together a couple of times.He was putting a few litres less in at every fill up en route.maybe I was keeping the wind off him!!

My XT computer seems to display wildly different readings on motorways so I don't use it any more

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Watson john g

I recall that all your x trails were fitted with assisted suspension.

This suggests you are carrying a heavy load, which goes someway to explain your poor economy towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You could be right but anyone going to Spain for 5 weeks would be heavily laden even without the invalid buggy

I agree with you to some extent but my figures are based on reality not the car computer

My friend was putting only a few litres less into his Freelander

If you add 1550 kg of caravan plus holiday gear and provisions its not surprising to get 2/3 fuel consumption

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You could be right but anyone going to Spain for 5 weeks would be heavily laden even without the invalid buggy

I agree with you to some extent but my figures are based on reality not the car computer

My friend was putting only a few litres less into his Freelander

If you add 1550 kg of caravan plus holiday gear and provisions its not surprising to get 2/3 fuel consumption
For consumption read mpg

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Henry (and any other potential or actual Tiguan owners)

Check out www.myTiguan.com

I'm sure the answer to your queries will be in there somewhere.

Ken.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts