VW Touareg Tyres

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Looking for two new rear tyres. Came across this on the Touareg forum. Do you guys agree or is it rubbish please?

You MUST always run the car with 4 IDENTICAL tyres as in same make, same model, same size, same tread pattern and with no more than 2 mm tread depth difference on the same axle and no more than 3 mm tread depth difference between front and rear otherwise you may damage the gearbox.

NEVER mix tyres on a Touareg.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
It's good advice. BMW with their chocolate transfer boxes advise no more than 10% difference in tread depth between any tyre. Bit of a bummer when you rip the sidewall out of a half worn tyre and have to replace all four.....

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's good advice. BMW with their chocolate transfer boxes advise no more than 10% difference in tread depth between any tyre. Bit of a bummer when you rip the sidewall out of a half worn tyre and have to replace all four.....
That’s why on my last Forester I converted to a full size spare and purchased a part worn quality tyre with 5 mm on the tread. Therefore it would meet Subaru’s recommendation which is quite stringent. It did save me shelling out for four new tyres when I picked up a non repairable puncture.

Thought that the Touareg Owners Manual would cover the specification. I know proper 4 wd are less tolerant than for example Haldex. My XC70 had a space saver 2 inch diameter less than the OEM wheels but Volvo technical said it wouldn’t cause damage if if went on the rear. My 4wd Superb had a OEM full size spare.

DD might be best contacting VW Technical UK. These things aren’t as tolerant as the old Sorento with the ability to run in 2WD or 4WD

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not too different to my Forester but whilst running identical tyres is probably best there may be times when it’s not possible. Then I would look for a similar tread pattern. IE Goodyear Vectors at similar to Michelin Cross Climate.
But on my old Sorento I fitted two Yokohama AT to the rear and planned to fit them to the front a month or so later. The car came out of the tyre depot and the thrumming was noticeable. So I disconnected 4wd and put it into 2WD until the front tyres were replaced. So I was looking at 5 mm tread difference (3 to 8) and different tread pattern. All other features stayed constant.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Touareg 4x4 system is full-time using a Torsen gear centre differential so any difference in tyre diameter will cause wear/tear on the centre differential - quite unlike the part-time clutch based system fitted to most "soft-roaders" which will tolerate differences more readily.

The warning on the Touareg forum is perhaps a little exaggerated but it's important to keep tyre diameter differences to a minimum if mechanical longevity is important.

Touaregs have fairly even tyre wear between front & rear so I'd want to know why the rears have worn out but the fronts haven't.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Roger,
The fronts were replaced 6 months after the rears. Only about 2mm difference today. Think I’ll replace all four🥲🥲🥲

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
As above-that's why we rotate our wheels every 12k miles-the different rotation speeds caused by tyre wearing differently can cause the diff to wear prematurely-ignore it at you peril. Expensive!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts