VW Touareg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know how you go about getting a towbar fitted for the above. Some dealers say you have to have your twin electrics tow bar fitted as a factory option whilst others say you can only get single electrics as a factory option and that twin electrics tow bars have to be added after purchase. We are a bit nervous about ordering one without a tow bar and then finding we cannot get a tow bar fitted that without causing problems with the manufacturers warranty. Incidentally if you have a touraeg is it a good tow car etc! Tracy

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I've had this sort of thing with Mercedes dealers. Our continental cousins only have one socket to do all for there caravans!

Factory / Dealer fit turned out o be for European single socket.

Be careful and check that you will not be supplied with a European single socket as some main dealers are not to sharp!!!

Most factory fit tow bars are Brink or Bosal and they can be fitted for a fraction of the price after purchase. My local Bosal dealer does "factory/dealer fit for certain main dealers in Berkshire. He drove from a main dealer to fit a bar for me at about a 1/3 of the price of the main dealer garage involved and it included twin electrics.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Im sure they would retro fit a VW one its the labour you will pay for also get a detachable if you can.The 13 pin socket that they fit is really good,you buy a 13pin splitter cable to connect to 12n/12s plugs.The 13 pin locks in place and never suffers from bad connections or rust like 12n/12s do in my experience.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Just a note regarding Towsure fitting towbars. According to the their website, this service is only offered at the Sheffield store.

Last week, I had a Witter towbar and twin electrics fitted to my new Skoda Octavia. I used a mobile fitter that was recommended but he also advertised in Yellow Pages under the main Witter advert. The towbar came with an EX50 type towball suitable for use with an AlKo stabiliser.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The use of a splitter cable is a potential source of poor connections, so if you do decide to stay with the 13-pin factory fitted electrics and you intend to keep the caravan for any length of time, it would be better to convert the caravan to 13-pin, as well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martin I suspected that Towsure only fit at Sheffield but the point of my reply was to show that it is possible to get the bar from another source of which Towsure is an example.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Converting your Caravan Electrics to Continental 13 pin Electrics will prrevent you from towing anything else unless you carry a plug in splitter for UK Electrics.

Since first having a Caravan Towbar I've had occasions where I've needed to tow other vans to help out others as well as trailers with single and twin UK electrics.

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi Tracy,

I am the proud owner of a Touareg and a fine towcar it is.Even better now I have had it converted to Vegetable oil! Havn't you got a Towbar? VW supply a removable one which you should find in the rear spare wheel compartment. Fabulous to be able to remove it when arrived on site! The electrics are worked from a single plug (for which you will have to buy a double Lead-grey and black as normal-just a few quid) which you will find next to the towbar housing at the rear of the car. Check the back of your car and see if there is a removable panel under the rear valance where you would expect to find a towbar. If there is a removeable panel there then you should already have a towbar. Let me know.

Merve

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi Tracy

VW have just added lots more gear on the Touregs for no more money so good deals on the older models.V6 diesel is the best engine according to the reports.The towbar is an extra so not all cars would have them fitted in the factory.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tracy,

I am the proud owner of a Touareg and a fine towcar it is.Even better now I have had it converted to Vegetable oil! Havn't you got a Towbar? VW supply a removable one which you should find in the rear spare wheel compartment. Fabulous to be able to remove it when arrived on site! The electrics are worked from a single plug (for which you will have to buy a double Lead-grey and black as normal-just a few quid) which you will find next to the towbar housing at the rear of the car. Check the back of your car and see if there is a removable panel under the rear valance where you would expect to find a towbar. If there is a removeable panel there then you should already have a towbar. Let me know.

Merve
Thanks for your response - we haven't actually got the car yet but have ordered a spec built one and they will fit a removeable twin electrics tow bar to the car for us. We decided to go for new as we got a very good deal making it cheaper to buy new than the 6+ month old ones we were checking out on the web. They must hold their value well!

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your response - we haven't actually got the car yet but have ordered a spec built one and they will fit a removeable twin electrics tow bar to the car for us. We decided to go for new as we got a very good deal making it cheaper to buy new than the 6+ month old ones we were checking out on the web. They must hold their value well!
Can you say where you got this deal? I love my Touareg to bits having spent many years with lets say lesser cars. The engineering is superb and I would definately buy another one. The next one though will carry the full replacement wheel on the rear door (factory fit). I find even with the 2.5TD version that I have plenty of power even with a double wheelbase 1700KG van on the back. What must the 5.0 litre be like? It must be awesome!

MERVE

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts