Warning for France etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You dont have to go to the Continent to feed the bugs, or Scotland for that matter. Last June we spent 2 nights at CC Grin Low, Buxton and we really suffered. My wife dotted every bite on my arms & legs with cream then gave up counting at about 120 and she still had a leg & half an arm to go!! It took well over a week for them to subside. What we found surprising was how small they were, just came straight through the flyscreens, I did think of taking the van back to the dealers to complain that the screens were "unfit for purpose" and demand an exchange for a better set!!

Tankie
There are some very tiny flies in France - I think the French call them 'Pepper flies' that appear at dusk and bite 'very hard' if you are wearing just shorts!

However the pain soon dissipates leaving no mark.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm reposting this here as I put it in the wrong place!

'There are some very tiny flies in France - I think the French call them 'Pepper flies' that appear at dusk and bite 'very hard' if you are wearing just shorts!

However the pain soon dissipates leaving no mark.'

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Never experienced this in France even when we've stayed on the shores of a lake (Les Tours, St Amans des Cots) July/August.

Isn't it common knowledge that these little blighters like static or slow flowing fresh water to inhabit?

I believe that Kielder Water in Northumbria has a bit of a reputation as do the Scottish Lochs in high summer.

Vic

LRG

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
Cris you were v thoughtful to post this topic. Some of us are v susceptible to bites & stings. In N Brittany a few yrs ago I was bitten by sand flies - the site was on the dunes - & I was v ill with an infected bite. Mossies make a mossie-line for me but less so for the husband. He is wasp prey though!

In any first aid kit even in GB we now take anti-histamine tabs as husband has bad reaction to wasp & bee stings. We take citronella candles and body rub as I prefer natural products but resort to anthisan if bitten. Our new to us van purchased 3 yrs ago had full screens which proved a god-send.

Finally, the v worst bites I have ever had were at Minsmere in Suffolk 6 yrs ago from horse-flies. The pain, swelling and fever were unbelievable. I was in bed, delerious with a lower leg like the Elephant Man for 4 days. This despite anthisan cream administered at the time of the bite. I should have carried the anti-histamine tabs. I carry these at all times now.

Lorraine (Bailey)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts