Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone tell me please if I have to return my caravan to the dealer I purchased it from for servicing, it will be it's first service under warranty. I know rules have changed for car's and you do not have to take them to a main dealer even when they are under warranty. We have an Avondale dealer just 12 miles away but if we have to return it to dealer we purchased it from we will have to do about 50 miles.

Thanks

Julie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Julie,

I am not a solicitor or a legal expert, but as I understand the situation the following may help to answer your question.

There is considerable confusion about how warranties work and who is responsible for them.

Firstly your legal course of redress in the event of any failure of a product is to the organisation that retailed the goods to you. If you used a loan secured on the goods or an HP agreement, then the retailer is owner of the loan. (you do not normally own goods secured on a loan until the last payment is made)

If you paid outright or used an unsecured loan then who ever took your money is the retailer, usually a caravan dealer.

A Manufactures warranty/guarantee is not a legal requirement so it is actually a gift from the manufacture, as such they can apply any limitations they wish. If you wish to remain a beneficiary of the manufactures warranty you must comply with its stated terms. (extended warranties can be very different as you enter a contract with a money transfer)

You may of course enter into correspondence with the manufacture and ask if they will allow a variation to their terms, but be warned they are not obliged to.

If you choose to waive your rights to the manufactures warranty by having your caravan serviced at a non franchised dealer you still have your rights under the sale of goods act against the retailer who sold the van to you for the non-serviceable parts.

If you have any further doubts on this subject I recommend you seek professional help form a solicitor or the CAB.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i too have an avondale,and i bought a van at earls court last year(bad move)from glossop caravans.having an avondale dealer about 12 miles away i thought i would be able to get it serviced there,and would not have to travel 300 ml round trip to glossop and back for a sevice or if anything went wrong with the van.

unfortunately i was wrong,local avondale dealer would not service it,and said that even if he were to negotiate with glossop to sevice the van i would always be last in line as his customers would always come first.i also contacted avondale all they said was i should take it back to the dealer i purchased it from but if glossop were to allow me to get it serviced from local avondale dealer they would be ok with that.as far as warranty work local dealer said definately not i would have to go back to glossop.unfortunately something did go wrong with the van,shower doors warped and had to get them replaced,also the service had to travel there too,you can always ask but i think the response could be the same as i got.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i too have an avondale,and i bought a van at earls court last year(bad move)from glossop caravans.having an avondale dealer about 12 miles away i thought i would be able to get it serviced there,and would not have to travel 300 ml round trip to glossop and back for a sevice or if anything went wrong with the van.

unfortunately i was wrong,local avondale dealer would not service it,and said that even if he were to negotiate with glossop to sevice the van i would always be last in line as his customers would always come first.i also contacted avondale all they said was i should take it back to the dealer i purchased it from but if glossop were to allow me to get it serviced from local avondale dealer they would be ok with that.as far as warranty work local dealer said definately not i would have to go back to glossop.unfortunately something did go wrong with the van,shower doors warped and had to get them replaced,also the service had to travel there too,you can always ask but i think the response could be the same as i got.
Klarky, I guess that sums up the 'service' you expect from caravan manufacturers and dealers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts