warrantys

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Everyone !

Have just bought my first ever caravan, it is a lunar zenith (used) first sold in sept 04 so not even a year old, have a warranty book stating lunar warranty for three years but dealers tells me it cant be passed on as would a car say ! Anyone know of this

Am glad to join this site there seems to be some very experienced caravanners who I,m sure can help a newby like me !!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina We bought our first van, silmilar age to yours about 4 weeks ago. Our Warranty for the new but second hand van included the time remaning on the 3 year Abbey Warranty that has been transferred to us. I am not sure why yours was not? Maybe it is down to the caravan make or group? Ours is swift group for the Abbey. I am not sure about yours? I would see what other replies get as we are new ourselves. For us this warranty was one of the attractions to going the second hand nearly new route as we got the best of both words including a huge reduction had we bought the van from new. Good Luck

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
thanks for that paul and ruth !! Have found a lunar handbook for my van and at the back it states " three year warranty to first owner -not transferable" shouldnt be a prob but any one else out there considering a nearly new lunar it's worth bearing in mind. As I said earlier we are new to this game !! All tricks of the trade wether it's towing, on site etc.... VERY welcome !!!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tina,

Firstly your dealer is legally responsible for the goods they sell and must ensure they are of merchantable quality and fit for purpose. This applies to secondhand goods bought through a retail outlet. The manufacture has no legal responsibility to the end user unless they sold the item direct. A manufactures warranty is entirely a gift at the discretion of the manufacture, and they can apply any limitations they wish, including non transfer of benefit to second owners. There would be no harm in writing to the manufacture to see if they would transfer, but whatever the manufacture says it is the retailer who is legally responsible to comply with the sale of goods act.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have dug more and it does seem to be only the swift group (as we can find so far) that offer this autmatically through any dealer. As far as hints and tips, you have done the first right thing and joined this forum....It us done us the world of good, 4 weeks ago we knew nothing..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This sounds like atypical problem. I purchased my Bailey which was 3 months old and although the dealer gave a 6 months warranty the remainder of the Bailey warranty could not be transfered. How is it that the manufacturer can aply the warranty to an individual and not to the product? Perhaps someone could try to get an explanation from the industry, the comment from Bailey was that it was Compny policy. Not much of an answer!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
im afraid john l is correct,which i think is a disgrace,at the end of the day no matter who has the van as long as it it serviced to their requirments that warranty should stand.some manufacturers do some dont

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
This is typical of the could not care less UK manufacturers. I am sorry to say that I doubt if there will be a change until they find lost sales to imported caravans as happened to the car and motorcycle trade, then it will be too late. Will they ever learn

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
This is typical of the could not care less UK manufacturers. I am sorry to say that I doubt if there will be a change until they find lost sales to imported caravans as happened to the car and motorcycle trade, then it will be too late. Will they ever learn
thanks all ! I plan to enjoy my lunar for the time I have it but when it comes to upgrade I will probably be going foreign !!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must admit that the warranty position drove me to buy new and get the manufacturer's guarantee rather than buy second hand and take a risk that say a 1 year old van might suffer from water ingress. The 1 year old van that I was looking at (Bailey Ranger 550/6) through a dealer was about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just in response to Louis' post. It is not misleading, some companies do allow the transfer of a manufacturors warranty. I have just bought a new Coachman and it clearly states that the warranty can be transferred to subsequent owners as long as I have kept my side of the bargain by servicing by an approved workshop at the specified time.

I understand that several manufacturers do this but not all. Perhaps we need to put more pressure on the manufacturers. Obviously if I was buying a second hand van the fact that there was still a warranty on the van would be a big plus.This could make a difference in the value of my van should I need to sell. Roz

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a further note on manufacturers warranties, Some manufacturers will state the warranty period as starting from the date of manufacture, not the date of sale. Consider that many makers build and stockpile caravans on airfields etc, so the van you purchase may be already several months old, if not years. This may devalue the warranty in some cases. This does not affect your statutory rights under the sale of goods act which is the sole responsibility of the retailer and kicks in at the date of sale.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts