Waste water and more

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
I wonder if someone could clarify for me what the situation is relating to waste water at UK and EU campsites?

I have seen mention of "full service" which appears to include disposal of waste water, but how and what is that exactly? For example, is it a specific receptacle of some kind in the ground and is it only for sink and shower water disposal?

Do any caravans, motorhomes or other camping vehicles have black water tanks as are found in the US?

So far in my research I can only find reference to cassette toilets.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if someone could clarify for me what the situation is relating to waste water at UK and EU campsites?

I have seen mention of "full service" which appears to include disposal of waste water, but how and what is that exactly? For example, is it a specific receptacle of some kind in the ground and is it only for sink and shower water disposal?

Do any caravans, motorhomes or other camping vehicles have black water tanks as are found in the US?

So far in my research I can only find reference to cassette toilets.
Serviced pitches have the means for disposing of grey water via a pipe attached to the caravans outlet.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
And yes, it's for sink/shower. If it's not a serviced pitch there is usually a grey water waste point often near the Elsan/ toilet waste disposal area. Waste hogs have a space and a pair of bungee chords so you can strap one to the other and save a journey! We have been on sites when they say empty the grey into the hedge but these are rarer and you go by the site management request.
For serviced pitches I'd recommend 32mm plumbing push fit pipe-with a bit of flexi at the exit and a joiner-and carry a selection of joiners and right angles-really cheap and neat-the bendy pipe is a mare and commercial alternatives expensive. I've bought 32mm wall clips pushed through awning pegs to support and create a fall!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
And yes, it's for sink/shower. If it's not a serviced pitch there is usually a grey water waste point often near the Elsan/ toilet waste disposal area. Waste hogs have a space and a pair of bungee chords so you can strap one to the other and save a journey! We have been on sites when they say empty the grey into the hedge but these are rarer and you go by the site management request.
For serviced pitches I'd recommend 32mm plumbing push fit pipe-with a bit of flexi at the exit and a joiner-and carry a selection of joiners and right angles-really cheap and neat-the bendy pipe is a mare and commercial alternatives expensive. I've bought 32mm wall clips pushed through awning pegs to support and create a fall!
I would agree with on service pitches 32mm plumbing push fit pipe- is the way to go i have the other way and it is always coming off ..

Reactions: JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Many sites have now moved to service pitches but not all. On a standard pitch you need a portable water and waste container. You wheel these to a service point and there fill the fresh water container and empty the waste water. On a service pitch you will have a fresh water tap which you can connect to the caravan with a long hose and an adapter. Waste is generally piped to a drain at the back but this does not include toilet waste. Service points are generally fairly close to you, so it should not be a problem. Just make sure the containers are included before you set off.
Black water tanks are not normally found on European caravans. Airstream models are imported over here, so you might be able to get one with a black water tank, but they do come at a high price and can be too heavy for many European cars..
Toilets are normally fitted in the caravan and empty into a removable cassette which you empty at a specific service point. For those who cannot face it there is usually a good toilet block but with the Copvid problems this may not be open at the moment.

Reactions: JezzerB and DaveA1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If your on a club or commercial site they are normally raised up. On some CS/CL they can be as simple as a hole in the ground covered by a hinged plate, or just a slab of stone. All will have a tap to aid rinsing and emptying.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Are Elsan tipping points usually mounted level with the ground or raised up a bit and do they usually have a tap close by for rinsing things off?
Height can vary, the toilet cassette may need to be lifted - rinsing water is almost always available - I've never been to a site where it isn't.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Elsan points can be either, level with the ground or a raised plinth, the latter being preferable and must have a water point next to it , but not in very close proximity to potable water supply.

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
For serviced pitches I'd recommend 32mm plumbing push fit pipe

I think I get the idea of how that works, although I tried an image search and still remain a little puzzled. Does the pipe connected to the caravan terminate with something like a rubber connector that pushes onto a PVC pipe installed in the ground? So you kind of plug it onto the PVC pipe and your grey water goes that way. I'm also thinking the pipe in the ground that you are connecting to probably has some kind of cap or cover when not in use?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've seen a number of posts referring to CS/CL and I guess it's obvious once you know it. I'm still in the dark on that one though. An internet search lead me to "Caesium chloride" which I'm certain is a red herring :)
Certificated Location (CL in Caravan Club) and Certificated Site (CS in Camping & Caravan Club) - sites limited to a maximum of 5 caravans.

Reactions: CustomBuild
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some CL/CS are just fields with bare facilities for water and emptying toilet. Other rival premium sites in their facilities. But worth investigating fir touring as they add places for a stopover or longer break.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Many of use use one of these with either flexible or rigid plastic pipe which conveys the grey shower or washing up water to the drain on a fully serviced pitch or into the Wastemaster.
The drain on fully serviced pitches is often a normal domestic drain, usually close to the ehu (electric hook up) bollard and drinking water tap which on fully serviced pitches can be connected via a hose to a kit which fits into the Aquaroll
On non serviced pitches the Aquaroll is taken to the nearest drinking water tap, the Wastemaster is usually emptied into a grey water drain which is often close to the CDP (chemical disposal point) which is where the toilet cassette is emptied.
The CDP usually has a water tap to clean the toilet cassette.
Under no circumstances should water from the CDP be used for drinking.

Reactions: juanjo4747
Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Many of use use one of these with either flexible or rigid plastic pipe which conveys the grey shower or washing up water to the drain on a fully serviced pitch or into the Wastemaster.
The drain on fully serviced pitches is often a normal domestic drain, usually close to the ehu (electric hook up) bollard and drinking water tap which on fully serviced pitches can be connected via a hose to a kit which fits into the Aquaroll
On non serviced pitches the Aquaroll is taken to the nearest drinking water tap, the Wastemaster is usually emptied into a grey water drain which is often close to the CDP (chemical disposal point) which is where the toilet cassette is emptied.
The CDP usually has a water tap to clean the toilet cassette.
Under no circumstances should water from the CDP be used for drinking.
Thanks for the details and links, all very useful. I think I've just about got the whole picture now.

Reactions: Parksy
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Bit of the grey concertina type pipe-about 3 inches fits in to each of the outlets-then a 90degree bend and a joiner-with a bit of pipe the right length legs both connect, and then 32mm push fit and fixings-you can use a bit of fatter pipe-40mm to adjust the final length to go into the waste drain which yes often have a removeable cover. Tried to post a pic but it is too big for the site-next time out on a serviced site will take some more on a lower res!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are worried about the set up, any dealer will be able to show you the items available. Not sure where you are planning to get the caravan for the trip but assume it will be a dealer.

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Here we go-hope you can see it! View attachment 560

That's great, thanks. As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Would I be right in thinking you use rigid pipe because over that length it stays cleaner and is easier to handle?

Is it terminating at a drain of some kind or just going to the ground?

In your experience, are most waste water disposal points somewhere behind your caravan or do they tend to be at one side? I'm just trying to get an idea of direction and distance.

Why do the caravan manufacturers not T the two pipes together so you would only have one outlet instead of two? I'm assuming the reason for two is a direct drain from the sink and a direct drain from the shower?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes was just trying this out as its all new but should go to a drain usually behind the van .no idea why the 2 are not joined to one but some shower on site maybe? We are next on a serviced pitch late August so made sure I have plenty of joins and pipe before throwing the horrid flexy stuff away, as you say because it is just unwieldy and not clean.

Reactions: CustomBuild
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
At least with the Corrugated flexy pipe you can place it in the drain , the fixed pipes will need another couple of "bends/ angles" to get there.
Even after washing up we never get blockages in or flexy pipes.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes got plenty of 90deg bends plus a bit of40mm pipe. Slide it over the 32 and I have a telescopic adjuster to reach the drain! Just got fed up of the corrugated having a life of its own once in the locker!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts