Water cleaning

Apr 16, 2023
Visit site
Hello,
Whats everyone's thoughts on cleaning the water system, from aquaroll to tap?
How do you do this?
Which products are best?
How often to do it?

Thanks in advance

Roy

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Never bother other than to flush it through with fresh water..
Any water used for drinking etc is taken from a 5 litre "designer" water bottle filled directly from the supply tap so bypasses the aquaroll,,pump and pipework. Any used for cooking gets boiled in the process anyway, so is bug free.
Never had a problem over the previous 20+ years of travelling.

Doubtless someone will be along shortly to tell me just how fortunate I have been not to have contracted no end of horrendous water borne afflications/infections/deadly diseases etc. Do I care?? Er no!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Roy

The fact you have asked about cleaning your water system suggests you have some concern about the issue. You will only know if you get the answer wrong, when someone gets a tummy bug or heaven forbid worse.

For what it costs, cleansing the water system as a matter of course when you get your caravan out of storage can bring peace of mind, and improve the longevity of parts of the system.

History show there isn't a big problem with caravan systems, but becasue of teh conditions may caravans are stored in, you really cannot predict if its started to grow any nasties

I was happy enough to use water from the taps for making boiled drinks, and for cooking, but for cold water or to make squash for the kids we used to keep a 2Lt plastic pop or milk of bottle filled direct from the site tap in the fridge.

I'd suggest if you have anyone in your family who might susceptible to infections, then avoid using caravan tap water for drinks or cooking.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used Puriclens at the start and end of the season, and used water from the aqua roll for cooking, drinking and washing etc. Even abroad we did the same and cannot recall ever having tummy troubles for any of us when in the caravan. The only time we would buy bottled water was if the site supply was heavily chlorinated, but that was a rarity.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we had our caravan we also use Puriclens at the start of a season the system is flushed with fresh water. The aqua roll was use for drinking and washing .and we had no problems .

Last edited:
Reactions: royhedger
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have never used Puriclean in the caravan water system. It goes into the hot water cylinder and unsure if that may cause any issues. We do use Puriclean every now and then to clean the aquarolls and the wastemaster.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I've used Puriclean and Elsan Fresh Water Tank Cleaner to clean the whole system.
Don't use any cleaners such as Milton which contains chlorine which can damage stainless steel components and surfaces.
Just fill your Aquaroll with fresh water, add your cleansing product and run it through all taps and the shower and leave it for the prescribed time before flushing through thoroughly with fresh water.

If opportunity allows, refill the Aquaroll to the brim, add some more cleansing product and leave the pump in situ. This will ensure the Aquaroll, pump and caravan water system are cleaned.

Having said all this, we always buy bottled water to drink in the caravan but, use the caravan water for hot drinks, cooking and teeth cleaning with no ill-effects to date, touch wood.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've used Puriclean and Elsan Fresh Water Tank Cleaner to clean the whole system.
Don't use any cleaners such as Milton which contains chlorine which can damage stainless steel components and surfaces.
Just fill your Aquaroll with fresh water, add your cleansing product and run it through all taps and the shower and leave it for the prescribed time before flushing through thoroughly with fresh water.

If opportunity allows, refill the Aquaroll to the brim, add some more cleansing product and leave the pump in situ. This will ensure the Aquaroll, pump and caravan water system are cleaned.

Having said all this, we always buy bottled water to drink in the caravan but, use the caravan water for hot drinks, cooking and teeth cleaning with no ill-effects to date, touch wood.

Puriclean is chlorine-based - it's not an issue if used at the specified concentration and the system rinsed with clean fresh water afterwards.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Puriclean is chlorine-based - it's not an issue if used at the specified concentration and the system rinsed with clean fresh water afterwards.
My mistake but, apparently it's a different type of chlorine though.
Milton contains sodium hypochlorite (bleach) which is corrosive to stainless steel.
Puriclean contains chlorine dioxide which is safe to use with stainless steel.
So, it pays to read the product label.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Apparently, it's a different type of chlorine.
Milton contains sodium hypochlorite (bleach) which is corrosive to stainless steel.
Prior to Puriclean being introduced I used Milton or Boots equivalent as that was available fir our children, then grandchildren too. Never had any issues with water heater or system components, but it was quite a low solution strength and it only stayed in for around 30 minutes.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Prior to Puriclean being introduced I used Milton or Boots equivalent as that was available fir our children, then grandchildren too. Never had any issues with water heater or system components, but it was quite a low solution strength and it only stayed in for around 30 minutes.
This probably explains why Elsan recommend that their freshwater cleaner remains in the system for twenty-four hours before draining it off and flushing. Clearly it's not as strong as a bleach-based cleaner.

Apr 16, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I have no specific concerns with mine, just never actually done it yet. I've only been caravaning since March so it's all new to me. The caravan I bought from a dealer but it's a 2004 model so I'll get some Puriclean whacked though it next weekend. 👍

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My mistake but, apparently it's a different type of chlorine though.
Milton stains stainless steel which is why it is not recommended, however that is the only drawback if you have a stainless steel kitchen sink.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I have no specific concerns with mine, just never actually done it yet. I've only been caravaning since March so it's all new to me. The caravan I bought from a dealer but it's a 2004 model so I'll get some Puriclean whacked though it next weekend. 👍
If you have a filter in the system, it is best to remove it, they block easily with Puriclean.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you have a filter in the system, it is best to remove it, they block easily with Puriclean.
I never thought filters in a caravan were/are a good idea. Unlike a domestic usage caravan usage gives extended periods of no usage. This could lead to bacteria growth that would not be sterilised during system treatment as filters are normally removed. So I’ve always ditched the filter from the systems.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I never thought filters in a caravan were/are a good idea. Unlike a domestic usage caravan usage gives extended periods of no usage. This could lead to bacteria growth that would not be sterilised during system treatment as filters are normally removed. So I’ve always ditched the filter from the systems.
On both our previous caravan and our current one, I fitted a Filtapac Econoflow 2000 which just needs an annual filter change, using it for all water including drinking and for over 20 years never had an issue - although this year I've removed it to cure a leak and just rely on a cheap Asda filter jug

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We ditched the filter before we even took delivery of our caravan as they cause more issues than they resolve. I am surprised that with all this cost cutting that they still fit filters which no longer serve any useful purpose.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We ditched the filter before we even took delivery of our caravan as they cause more issues than they resolve. I am surprised that with all this cost cutting that they still fit filters which no longer serve any useful purpose.
Have you actually had a problem with a filter in the past or know of someone who has - or is this just a theoretical debate?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have you actually had a problem with a filter in the past or know of someone who has - or is this just a theoretical debate?
Fact. Although our friends had drained the water system, they never removed the filter over the winter and it froze and cracked. When they came to use the caravan again, they flooded the caravan.

Our personal experience was on a caravan not even 3 months old and the filter came loose flooding the caravan. Luckily we were in the caravan when it flooded, but it still caused a lot of dam,age with carpets having to be replaced and us compensated for damaged goods.

I wonder how many people are not aware that they have a filter in the caravan and happily carry on using the same filter for many years instead of chaning to every 6 months as recommended?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Fact. Although our friends had drained the water system, they never removed the filter over the winter and it froze and cracked. When they came to use the caravan again, they flooded the caravan.

Our personal experience was on a caravan not even 3 months old and the filter came loose flooding the caravan. Luckily we were in the caravan when it flooded, but it still caused a lot of dam,age with carpets having to be replaced and us compensated for damaged goods.

I wonder how many people are not aware that they have a filter in the caravan and happily carry on using the same filter for many years instead of chaning to every 6 months as recommended?
Those occurences all sound like "operator error", not a fundamental issue with filters.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the past there have been comments made about filters because when they have been changed the user looks at them and found them not looking very pleasant, and assumed they might be unsafe. But it's more likely it's been doing it's job, and stopped what they saw from getting into their system!
To stop any of the residue caught by the filters from becoming a breeding ground the filter packs from the reputable companies should also have had a dose of bacteria inhibiting agents to prevent that possibility. Some cheap filter replacements may not have had the same protection as the OEM specifications.

As Buckman and Roger L have touched on above, if the filters are not changed in a timely manner things can start to go wrong. The dosing chemicals can become ineffective, and the filter might be fine to become a source of contamination, the filter could become physically blocked, but more frequently, the carbon granule retaining bag or screens break down allowing the granules into the caravans water system and that can compromise non return valves, mixer valves and the outlet grills on taps.

Most filters use activated carbon because it can capture a range of contaminants, including unpleasant tastes, like excessive chlorination, and others which might be a feature of some supplies. That's one reason why filter jugs are still popular.

Especially in the UK and most of the EU and other places that have mains water supplies the water does not need to be filtered.

Caravan filter systems have had their fair share of problems, some have developed leaks, others have been very difficult to change the filters. Some have been tucked away and difficult to reach, yet alone change.

And yes some problems are due to operator errors such as forgetting to change the filter on time, but some caravan manufacturers are also guilty of not making it abundantly clear if their caravan has been fitted with a water filter or not, and where and how to check or change it.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Puriclean for me. Domestic cleaners are less expensive and will kill bacteria, but they will almost certainly be corrosive to your water heater. Also, they won’t get rid of the algae slime in your pipes. Puriclean will. Your water will be free of harmful bacteria, your pipes clean and free from algae, your water will taste better and no harm will come to your water heater.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts