Water draining instead of going into water heater.

Sep 4, 2024
Visit site
Hello,

I have had an Abbey 215 GTS Vogue since Sunday. I can not get the shower to work. I've done the whole thing of making sure the value is horizontal, and turned the hot water taps on until they stop spluttering. I noticed that my aqua roll was simply just quickly draining it's 40 litters and making a mess outside the van. I have just noticed that there is what appears to be a drainage pipe a little behind the inlet. This was just pouring water out. It's not the usual drain pipe to empty the heater. I know this as I lifted the valve to drain and it all pured from a different pipe.

The one I do not know about appears to be some kind of overflow pip that is attached to the red pipe that comes out of the heater and towards the back of the van and the kitchen and bathroom area.

What crazy devils work is this?

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Without the name/model of the heater and some photos it's hard to say for certain
Could it be the hot water pipe has come adrift of has a hole? or some safety system to stop over pressurisation?

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......the red pipe in your photo is the hot water supply pipe to the hot taps and shower. The red union with an attached translucent pipe that exits beneath the caravan is an overpressure relief valve.
These can fail due to age.
Truma supply a kit for replacement.
See here

Sep 4, 2024
Visit site
What size/type of non-return water valve am I looking for here? Possibly a MRK 1 / MRK 11 Carver Truma Ultrastore system. Can anybody else see something that may be interesting? Still only day 5 of my first campervan ownership.

Attachments

• 20240911_182024.jpg
    20240911_182024.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A new non-return valve was bought for the pressure over flow pip and new pipe as the old one was just dirty and horrible. Now have pressure in the shower and plentiful hot water. Thanks for the advice.
You haven't told us if you have used a genuine Truma part , you have simple described a NRV, which does not cover all the functions of the Truma part.

The genuine Truma part serves three functions. Its a non return valve, it's a drain vent, and most important of all its a pressure relief valve. If you haven't used the correct part, then you could endanger yourself especially if the unit does not have the correct Pressure Relief valve which is an essential safety requirement.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You haven't told us if you have used a genuine Truma part , you have simple described a NRV, which does not cover all the functions of the Truma part.

The genuine Truma part serves three functions. Its a non return valve, it's a drain vent, and most important of all its a pressure relief valve. If you haven't used the correct part, then you could endanger yourself especially if the unit does not have the correct Pressure Relief valve which is an essential safety requirement.
Prof, your replies to people are normally very helpful,
But at times you come over very much a "Doc Martin" person. With NO people inter phase skills.
Mark, has been good enough to tender his fix for the problem, but to me you seem to be down facing him.
My very best regards.
Hutch.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Prof, your replies to people are normally very helpful,
But at times you come over very much a "Doc Martin" person. With NO people inter phase skills.
Mark, has been good enough to tender his fix for the problem, but to me you seem to be down facing him.
My very best regards.
Hutch.
Better expressed as a PM

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It just
I get the thought Clive. But for me if we all PM when disagreements arise what’s the point of a Forum ? Isn’t a Forum about open discussion and opposite views?
Just think. All PMs and no Mods🤪🤪
It just runs very close to contravening the Official Community Rules (No 1) and the Hints and Tips. Of course I support open discussion within the context of the sub forum and General relates to Caravan issues.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It just

It just runs very close to contravening the Official Community Rules (No 1) and the Hints and Tips. Of course I support open discussion within the context of the sub forum and General relates to Caravan issues.
I think our Mods are best to decide these kind of things rather than us punters. Or
Indulge me. You aren’t a mystery Mod😉😎

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Please let us not start disagreements by PM. This is not helpful. The OP has asked a sensible question and there are helpful answers. Please ask positive questions rather than pointed or critical ones if more information is needed. As a rule of thumb avoid statements starting with “You” .
Mel

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hutch,

I'm not going to sugar coat a concern I have about safety. It's better to advise before a problem arises if it can be avoided.

In this case we know, the OP has replaced a faulty part with a "Non Return Valve" If it was the heaters drain/NRV and Pressure relief valve , then simply replacing it with an NRV is not sufficient to ensure the safety of the appliance, in fact as I pointed out it makes the appliance more dangerous.

I do not spend all day watching the forum, so it's better to air a concern and the reason for that concern and the appropriate fix to enable the reader to understand the nature of the problem in one go rather than spreading it out over several posts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts