Water filter compartment won't undo?

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
So looking at my water filter there is no filter in the hole.

So I i thought I'd take the clear plastic screw off end out and see if I could have a look, a bit of a clean in there and buy a filter.

My issue is the end won't unscrew, I put a lot of twisting force into it but it won't undo and I'm worried about using any more force incase I snap the thing.

Is there any way I can clean the water system out without removing this?

Thanks in advance.

Liam

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
They go in hand tight but unscrew with a lot more effort, I bought the tool off ebay to get mine undone. First time I changed mine I thought it would undo with ease instead it undone with the aid of a large pair of pipe grips.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Cento16v said:
I'll try my water pump pliers and some wood to spread the load tommorow.

try a largish open ended spanner something like a 22mm. using the other end with a bar to twist it.
I made my own tool out of a 2in hard wood dowel with a saw cut to fit over the the plastic paddle and a hole in the other end . for a steel bar worked every time. just remember to smear the O ring with veggie oil on replacement and only tighten enough so it seals no more or there is a risk of splitting the housing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As in this in the picture link, a pair of pliers used back to front is a simple way to remove stubborn filters, with or without the screwdriver as a lever.
If it's cold then a hair dryer will help warming it up a little, Ideally then use Silicone grease on the threads and 'O'ring so you get a better 'feel' tightening the new one, rule of thumb is handle points at 25 to 1 when it's tight.
Olive oil also works ok, but I don't recommend other cooking oils though

http://arcsystems.biz/Pictures/Filter2.jpg

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
gary said:
As in this in the picture link, a pair of pliers used back to front is a simple way to remove stubborn filters, with or without the screwdriver as a lever.
If it's cold then a hair dryer will help warming it up a little, Ideally then use Silicone grease on the threads and 'O'ring so you get a better 'feel' tightening the new one, rule of thumb is handle points at 25 to 1 when it's tight.
Olive oil also works ok, but I don't recommend other cooking oils though

]http://arcsystems.biz/Pictures/Filter2.jpg
http://arcsystems.biz/Pictures/Filter2.jpg[/quote
hi Gary,
I used veggie oil [olive oil is also fine] for two reasons it wont harm the rubber seal, and if one is a little too liberal with the lubrication it can contaminate the water, personally I would rather any contaminants be edible.
I would not use any type of nut oil though because some are allergic to nuts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Who says vegetable oil won't harm the rubber? as far as I'm aware it's capable of soaking into therefore swelling the rubber? this causing extra pressure on the housings threads and that's deadly to a mk1 and mk2 carver filter housings.

Olive oil is I understand different, (fruit as opposed to a vegetable possibly?), so will not swell rubber but still has the problem of remaining usefulness to aid removal. Silicone grease is 100% water proof and therefore stable, is fully potable so perfectly safe and the best of all because it won't 'age' so still around to ease removal.

And the one time I fitted a new housing and didn't have any grease with me, I used veg oil broke the damn thing and had to stand the cost of buying another new one....at full retail?!!! :pinch:

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
gary said:
Who says vegetable oil won't harm the rubber? as far as I'm aware it's capable of soaking into therefore swelling the rubber? this causing extra pressure on the housings threads and that's deadly to a mk1 and mk2 carver filter housings.

Olive oil is I understand different, (fruit as opposed to a vegetable possibly?), so will not swell rubber but still has the problem of remaining usefulness to aid removal. Silicone grease is 100% water proof and therefore stable, is fully potable so perfectly safe and the best of all because it won't 'age' so still around to ease removal.

And the one time I fitted a new housing and didn't have any grease with me, I used veg oil broke the damn thing and had to stand the cost of buying another new one....at full retail?!!! :pinch:

I do"" used it for years never had a problem it is only on there one season because next year your going to throw the filter away for a new one!!! when doing the water clean, remember the " only tighten enough so it seals no more or there is a risk of splitting the housing.
BTW. if silicone is fully potable why did all those breast implants have to be changed for salt water. when they leaked.
I worked in a industry that used silicone as part of the assembly line. 90% of the line staff who chose NOT to wear rubber gloves got dermatitis. those who did never suffered coinsidence think not. if it does that to the outside I would not like it inside thank you.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Silicone grease is widley used in the plumbing industry especially now solder joints are a getting to be a thing of the past.I have used it for some years now and find is excellent for joints etc. THeoreticallly what ever lubrication you use shouldnt get into the filter any way.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Silicone grease is widley used in the plumbing industry especially now solder joints are a getting to be a thing of the past.I have used it for some years now and find is excellent for joints etc. THeoreticallly what ever lubrication you use shouldnt get into the filter any way.
Gary at Arc systems has been in this game for many years so I would certainly take his advice
Sir Roger

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:

WRAS approved for use with cold and hot potable water up to 85°C.

I use a smear of it round the window & door seals to stop them sticking ;)

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Dave, just a fine smear will sort it.

On my truck doors i have double seals and I have had them freeze shut before now, but after a smear of silicon grease it sorted it, as well as that it keeps the seals supple. You could use silicon spray but it gets all over the place :oops: tried that first ;)

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Of Course if Deli Dave was to think of putting a few bob in my pension pot like spending more hours working his side doors would open more often and not have time to stick. :whistle: Seriously though Dave you have nothing to lose Ive tried it in the Beemer doors that freeze up when its chilly let alone a frost and the grease works well.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi Sir Roger,I am practicing for the start of the season,putting my feet up and having a glass of wine after lunch.
Ill give it a try,silicon not work lol see how it goes

Thanks both

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts