water filters

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I have just taken delivery of a Coachman Amara 520/4 and am a little alarmed that there is no water filter!!

Could anyone give any insight into the neccesity/ or not of a water filter on this particular van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have the same van as you have, we have had it from new in 2002 and our's doesn't have a water filter either.

We bought a Brita filter kettle find this brilliant as we filter water for the dog(saves getting runs with change of water)

Can't see the point in filtering water for washing and brushing teeth, get a Brita problem solved.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We removed our water filter.....didn't see the necessity for it,after all we don't filter it at home and the water in Britain is supposed to be reasonably safe.The dealer told us the prices for replacement filters ( in line ) and we felt that they were rather expensive when they have to be changed on an annual basis.Even when we went on the Continent we had no problems with the water.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul

We had a Bailey for 6 years, and that had a Carver water system that required a filter to be fitted and replaced annually. Our current Sterling has a Whale system that doesn't have any filter facility. This is apparently because, as Maureen says, the mains water system in the UK is up to a high enough standard not to warrant one.

I used to change our Carver filter annually and sometimes it was quite grubby, so it must have been stopping something. I've often wondered though if there was a possibility of, say, during the winter, of an insect crawling into the hole where the pump usually attach's and working it's way along the pipe to make a home (spiders like dark damp holes). The old filter would have stopped it, but without a filter it'll just get pushed further into the system, possibly causing a valve to stick open or something. I know it's unlikely, but it could happen.

We always use a water filter jug now on site, but this is mainly to prevent the kettle getting furred up in hard water areas and to remove some of the unusual regional tastes that you can get around the country.

Come the end of the day, if a system was designed to have a filter fitted, then I would fit one. Especially as any warranty repairs may be invalid if it's the cause of something getting into the system and causing a problem.

But if there isn't the facility for one, then that's the way that it's designed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We looked all over the place to try and find the water filter on our Ace Award Transtar when we bought it! We were fooled by a handbook that suggested there was one fitted.

Finally, we rang Swift Leisure to be advised that their caravan pipework is now of a higher 'food' grade and that filters are not necessary with this grade of pipe.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We looked all over the place to try and find the water filter on our Ace Award Transtar when we bought it! We were fooled by a handbook that suggested there was one fitted.

Finally, we rang Swift Leisure to be advised that their caravan pipework is now of a higher 'food' grade and that filters are not necessary with this grade of pipe.
That's an interesting comment from Swift, being as the filter would come 'before' the pipework and therefore wouldn't remove any contaminants or bad taste that the pipes may produce.

Does this also mean that the pipes that they were fitting before were of poor quality?

Sounds like a bit of waffle to me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's an interesting comment from Swift, being as the filter would come 'before' the pipework and therefore wouldn't remove any contaminants or bad taste that the pipes may produce.

Does this also mean that the pipes that they were fitting before were of poor quality?

Sounds like a bit of waffle to me.
Mick - an in-line filter wouldn't necessarily be before all the pipework. I could be close to the taps.

Graham

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts