Water heater element Bailet senator Carolina

May 15, 2022
Visit site
Hi. I have a bailey senator carolina 2008. We realised we had lost the hot water on a trip but the gas still worked so we swapped over. Once home I went through the fault finding process. Mains board fine, fuse fine, swapped 10 Amp fuse in face plate switch for new one. Still nothing. I bought an electricity tester which identified the heater element wasn't bringing power back to the back of the face plate which told me it was goosed. So ordered a new one, fitted it and still no hot water. The tester is telling me no power to the heater element again. So my question is could the element be a dud or is logic telling me the faceplate (switch) needs renewing? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi and welcome Hozza1.

Can you clarify,

’the heater element wasn't bringing power back to the back of the face plate’

John

May 15, 2022
Visit site
Hi and welcome Hozza1.

Can you clarify,

’the heater element wasn't bringing power back to the back of the face plate’

John
Hi John

Thankyou happy to be hear.

I unscrewed the switch faceplate and tested the cables in the back where they screw into the terminals. So the power to the plate coming in was fine, but the cables to the element were showing no power.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with John, your description of what is or isn't happening does not provide enough information to draw any conclusions.

However most electric water heaters have at least two safety systems, one will be thermostat which is the normal control for the emersion heater, but there is also usually another purely safety over temperature device, which might be a one time fuse or it could be a resetable over temperature switch. You will need to check your appliance instructions to see if there is reset button.

May 15, 2022
Visit site
I agree with John, your description of what is or isn't happening does not provide enough information to draw any conclusions.

However most electric water heaters have at least two safety systems, one will be thermostat which is the normal control for the emersion heater, but there is also usually another purely safety over temperature device, which might be a one time fuse or it could be a resetable over temperature switch. You will need to check your appliance instructions to see if there is reset button.
Hi profjohnL

The thermostat is a dial you turn to alter the temperature. With 2 setting to switch between (gas and ectric) apart from the 10A fuse within the faceplate and the fuse in the MCB board I know of no other fuses or switches.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi welcome to the forum
We have a Bailey Senator are your controls similar to the picture below, if so the dial only controls the gas and the switch controls the 240v element which has its own thermostat and overheat stat in the water heater unit. Also note the switch has 2 fuse holders 1 for fuse in use and the other for a spare fuse (empty in the picture). Make sure you fully prime the water system before doing any testing and if you are not sure how to test mains electricity get a qualified electrician
Notepad_202205151957_16741.jpg
Gra

Reactions: Hozza1
May 15, 2022
Visit site
Dear lord I think its the fuse situation

I mustn't have pulled it out far enough to see you fit 2 fuses in there!!!! So I have basically changed the spare...twice 🤣🤣🤣

I will go to storage tomorrow and check this. Thankyou very much for your help.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi John

Thankyou happy to be hear.

I unscrewed the switch faceplate and tested the cables in the back where they screw into the terminals. So the power to the plate coming in was fine, but the cables to the element were showing no power.

In that case, if I read you correctly, you have a faulty switch.

Is it a single or double pole switch?

John

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Dear lord I think its the fuse situation

I mustn't have pulled it out far enough to see you fit 2 fuses in there!!!! So I have basically changed the spare...twice 🤣🤣🤣

I will go to storage tomorrow and check this. Thankyou very much for your help.
Hope that sorts it out for you, I've been to several faults like yours before. Including when I'm on holiday.

Gra

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi profjohnL

The thermostat is a dial you turn to alter the temperature. With 2 setting to switch between (gas and ectric) apart from the 10A fuse within the faceplate and the fuse in the MCB board I know of no other fuses or switches.
Its an electrical requirement for electric heating elements must have a s safety cut out device. This may be a thermal fuse or a trip switch in series with the power feed that requires manual intervention to reset it.

I'm not sure which type the Truma unit has. Whichever is used has to be in the appliance at it needs to respond to the temperature of the element.
If its a fuse it will need the heater to be partially dismantled to reach it - normally a job for trained technician, If its a manual reset it will be somewhere on the heater body - check the owners manual for more information.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Its an electrical requirement for electric heating elements must have a s safety cut out device. This may be a thermal fuse or a trip switch in series with the power feed that requires manual intervention to reset it.

I'm not sure which type the Truma unit has. Whichever is used has to be in the appliance at it needs to respond to the temperature of the element.
If its a fuse it will need the heater to be partially dismantled to reach it - normally a job for trained technician, If its a manual reset it will be somewhere on the heater body - check the owners manual for more information.

On our previous Truma there was a fuse on the boiler that would trip out if no water in the boiler. If you left it for about 5-10 minutes it would reset itself. It did not require manual intervention as such. Obviously things have moved on since our 2011 Lunar so unsure if it is the same system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts