Water Leak Help Please

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
Please can anyone who has had a similar experience (or just knows about these things) help.

We went for our first trip out on Sunday and spent two nights at Ferry Meadows in Peterborough. This was just an opportunity for us to try out the van, somewhere near home before we start to use it in earnest next year. We took our two-week-old and he slept from 10pm to 3am and then from 3.30am to 7am - best nights sleep he's had so far.

Anyway - the leak. We had used the kitchen sink as usual over the weekend without any problems. On the last night, I noticed the sound of dripping water when we ran the tap and found a puddle of water underneath the oven. I traced this to the waste water from the sink, It leaves the sink ok and there isn't a leak until the waste pipe goes down the side of the oven. We used the grill for the first time a couple of hours earlier. I need to take the oven out to confirm this but it looks as though the waste pipe may have melted when we used the grill. Bit of a design fault if this is the case.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm happy enough to replace the pipe but I presume I need to protect it from the heat if I want to use the grill again,

We have a Bailey Pageant (Series 5) Provence.

I'd appreciate any advise from someone who has experienced this already.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Assuming there is no warranty - (series 5? and you give the impression it is a new van as you believe this is the first time the oven has been used) - as this was your first trip I would go back to the dealer.

If you bought privately you may have to sort it yourself or try Bailey.

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
I bought it privately when it was a year old. Bailey have informed me that the warranty is not transferable so it will be down to me.

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
I don't have any experience of this per se, but it seems to me that if the grill has melted this pipe it is enough of a significant fire hazard to seek immediate help from Bailey; warranty or no warranty.They should at least offer help and advice for the problem even if you have to pay.

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
Are you sure it's not leaking from the sink waste outlet? We had a leak in our new Challenger recently, and it was caused by a small drawer underneath the sink pushing the waste pipe off the sink connection every time the drawer was pushed back into place.I had to fit a longer waste pipe in order that the drawer wouldn't keep contacting it.

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi Eddie,

Absolutely sure. I can get to the area below the sink by removing the fridge vents on the exterior of the van and the pipework there is intact and there is no water there.

The pipe then goes through a wooded partition and into the area where the oven is - and the puddle of water is below the oven.

I'm planning to take the oven out tomorrow so I should get a good look at the pipe.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi MAM - this could also be from the supplies to the kitchen tap(s). Whilst you have the cooker out, I should pressurise the water system and see if this gives you any clues. If there is a water filter, check connections to this also. Water from drips is carried by other wires and pipes to be deposited some distance from the actual leak sometimes...

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi please check with Bailey customer services who are very good, some Bailey vans (senators) have had a modification done to the cooker vents as the inside of the vans were getting too hot when the oven was in use.

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
Hello All,

I spoke to Bailey - their response was that they knew of a problem where the oven could melt the waste pipe and that re-routing of the pipe might be required. But no help was offered and as I purchased a used 2005 van, there's no manufacturers warranty, even though this is clearly a design fault.

As for looking at the problem myself - I've been overrun with the usual build up to Christmas so I've not had a chance to look at it yet - hopefully soon.

So I'm a little disillusioned with Bailey at the moment and disappointed that the first time I use the grill, I end up with a puddle and an unusable sink.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback MAM. SODS law prevailing I'm afraid. However, if its only a short piece of pipe it shouldn't be too expensive to have fixed - although most of cost will be labour - and thats not cheap. I'm sure with a little time and care you should be able to do this job yourself.

Good luck

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts