Water pump only works when pushing connection

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site
Hi there, I'm new to caravaning and not very technically minded so hopefully you will bear with me. I have recently bought a 2003 Fleetwood Colchester, with whet I believe is a Whale water pump.

Since buying the caravan about 2 month ago the water pump has got progressively more problematic. It now only works if someone stands outside and applies a little bit of pressure to the top of hose where it connects to the housing. As soon as you take your finger off the top of the connection the water stops flowing.

It's probably a "how long is a piece of string question" but has anyone any ideas what may be causing this? Do I need a new pump, housing, something else or is this fixable?

Thanks for any replies.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The symptoms you describe are typical of a poor connection.

I don't know the exact details of the whale system, but Inside the connector there will some brass electrical connection pins. usually these are split, and over time the two halves will close the split, which means they wont make a good connection when they are inserted into the caravan receptacle.

It should be possible with a flat bladed screwdriver to make the gap a bit bigger.

Hope this helps

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site
Thanks, that makes absolute sense. Taking this one step further will rubbing the connections down with wire wool help? Also, I have read on few different sources that applying a bit of Vaseline will help. I would have thought that this isn't a great idea as it would act as an insulator. Am I right or wrong?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
wolfy_the_husky said:
No mine looks like, what I think is an older model than this. I will try cleaning the connectors and using a contact spray and see how it goes.
Vaseline is not an electrical conductor. Imo don’t use it. Just clean with the electrical contact spray which cleans and etches the surfaces. Making sure the contacts meet each other properly is all you need.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have used Electrolube conductive grease on some connections which are subject to moisture or corrosion. Clearly it's not as effective as a clean metal to metal contact but it does keep corrosion and moisture at bay and any reduction in conductivity between the surfaces doesn't seem to affect the circuit's performance.

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
To Dusty and Otherclive,
What's wrong with using Vaseline? When I started driving in the 70,s I was told to smear Vaseline on the battery terminals, as this acted as a moisture barrier and improved starting the engine during the winter months. Whether it worked or not is open to question, but I never needed to smear Vicks on the terminals.
Regards,

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Vaseline is petroleum based and can cause a reaction with the plastic of the connector.
Car batteries do not have caravan plastics anywhere near them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly is an oily conforming jelly or ointment that has reasonable water sealing properties and is considered to be electrically an insulator at low voltages like 12Vdc. This means its useful for excluding moisture from an area where it is applied but not a good product to be used where it might interfere with an electrical contact.

There are some important differences between a battery terminal and a frequently removed plug.

On a battery terminal petroleum jelly may be smeared on and the terminal clamp applied. This provides some lubrication to allow the location and application of the terminal clamps. Tightening the clamp provides enough force to squeeze the jelly out of the contact area allowing the clamp to make metal to metal contact. The displaced jelly sits around the clamps contact area creating an water tight seal.

The pump plug system may benefit from the lubrication effects of the jelly to allow easier insertion or removal of the plug, but the pressure developed by the plug and sockets contacts may not be enough to displace the jelly and this it may result in a poor contact. However the jelly's chemical structure may damage some plastics and other surface finishes, Not recommenced for use on water systems

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Wolfy. As we dont know for sure which pump you are using we are not helping you too much but if on the pump its self is a small "O" ring I suggest change it and then before insertion to the caravan a smear of cooking oil on the "O ring". and push the pump firmly home Good luck and let us know how yo get on its always a help to other users of the Forum.
Sir Roger .

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

Please contact our Customer Support Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. Contact details below.

Tel: 02891 270531 (weekdays) or 0845 217 2933 (weekends)
Email: info@whalepumps. com

Alternatively send me the best number to get you on in a private message and I will get one of our team to give you a call.

Best wishes
Hayley

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts