Water pump Problems?

May 8, 2005
Visit site
We have a Trauma pump fitment to our Lunar van and whilst away this weekend it casued problems. The pump light is staying on permanently inthe van? The pump was running constantly also then when I moved the pipes on the pump I could tell the pump stopped ok but the light stayed on in the van. Is this a sign the pump has gone? It has been working fine and this is the first time this has casued us problems. We had to switch off the switch in the van to ensure the pump stopped. Grateful for some advice

Tony & Lyn

May 2, 2005
Visit site
I had a similar problem last year. My system has a small pressure switch just inside the van on the supply side. It has a little knurrled nut on top. If you have the same, I suggest you give it a turn back and forwards. Try to reset it at the original setting. It might be that the switch is just sticking...Hope this helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi tony go here and have a look at the picture(whale inline pressure switch) for what you are looking for,its sometimes next to the hot water tank,or it might be in a cupbord like mine

sounds like pressure switch type water supply,as dave says there is a knurled nut on the side of this that you have to adjust to stop the pump fron continuously running(left or right adjust while pump is running abnd when you get the right position it will stop)

http://www.wilmond.co.uk/acatalog/Water_Pumps___Accessories_.html

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I also have problems with my pressure switch from time to time, they are apparently battery voltage sensitive.

I use the following method to adjust mine with reasonable success,check this link. http://www.stowford.co.uk/faultfinder/howto/pressureswitch.asp

Regards Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony

We have had every problem possible on pumps and water supplies over the years and the same problem you are having happened to us last weekend. Forget twiddling the pressure switch as you need to know how to set it properly. We set ours up but we still had the problem of the pump not stopping and the red light staying on. We discovered that the problem was that we had been using the spot lights in the van which drain the battery. When we stopped using the spot lights and let the battery charge fully, the problem stopped. We have a Coachman which is heavy on the battery. We tried swapping the water pump as we have a spare from the last problem we had, but the fault was with the battery.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Had an Abbey GTS a couple of years back with a pressure system. It was OK if you had electric hook up but when just on battery it was a nightmare. It had to be reset every day (as the battery charge went down) and if you had the telly on and wanted to fill the kettle you had to turn the telly off to get the pump to stop! If you forgot to turn the pump off overnight it would turn itself on as the pressure gradually dropped over a few hours (usually about 3am).

One of the 'vanners at a rally last bank holiday had an even worse problem. He'd gone out for the day and the pump switched itself on due to the gradual pressure drop. It was the 3rd day of the rally so the battery was getting a bit low. There was not enough oomf in the battery to get the pressure high enough to turn the pump off so it kept pumping which in turn flattened the battery. The result was a very flat battery and a completely knackered pump. Luckilly there were no weak points in the plumbing or the 'van could have been filled with an Aquaroll full of water as well.

The first thing i checked when buying our current 'van was that it had micro switched taps. There is no grey area with these - they are either on or off, full stop.

Yes they do go faulty from time to time but take minutes to replace (i always carry a spare or two).

Just thinking of the pressure system brings me out in a cold sweat now and if you can afford it i would replace the taps for switched ones and ditch the pressure system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts