Water pump

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Hallo again. Can anyone tell me what’s up with my whale EP1312 exterior water pump. Works slowly for 30 seconds then water stops but pump still running. Battery good , tried turning on and off and getting air out of pump but nothing seems to do it Many thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hallo again. Can anyone tell me what’s up with my whale EP1312 exterior water pump. Works slowly for 30 seconds then water stops but pump still running. Battery good , tried turning on and off and getting air out of pump but nothing seems to do it Many thanks

HEllo Spud.

We need a bit more information please.

Is you pump controlled by a pressure switch or do you have micro switches in every tap?

Is the problem with the water the same on cold taps or the hot taps?

Has the system worked for you previously?

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I’d imagine the impeller in the pump is falling off. I had this on our previous Swift. The motor runs but the flow is slow or non existent. Also check the mesh filter is not clogged.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi Spud
Did you put pump into aquaroll before connecting to caravan or after? also is the connection ok could be an airlock. Put pump into aquaroll wait about 10 secs then connect to caravan open taps and turn on pump

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Hi Spud
Did you put pump into aquaroll before connecting to caravan or after? also is the connection ok could be an airlock. Put pump into aquaroll wait about 10 secs then connect to caravan open taps and turn on pump
Tried that all ways Many thanks

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
I’d imagine the impeller in the pump is falling off. I had this on our previous Swift. The motor runs but the flow is slow or non existent. Also check the mesh filter is not clogged.
Mesh filter ok. Will see if I can dismantle it and look at impeller. Many thanks

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
HEllo Spud.

We need a bit more information please.

Is you pump controlled by a pressure switch or do you have micro switches in every tap?

Is the problem with the water the same on cold taps or the hot taps?

Has the system worked for you previously?
Yes ,it worked before but not tested it for any length of time as van is new to me. Micro switches in all taps and same for hot and cold. Many thanks

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If it's not been used for a bit have you thought of the filters in the tap spout heads? They easily become clogged and this explanation could suit your symptoms. If you unthread them take a note of how the several bits fit together to get them back easily!

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
If it's not been used for a bit have you thought of the filters in the tap spout heads? They easily become clogged and this explanation could suit your symptoms. If you unthread them take a note of how the several bits fit together to get them back easily!
It was working then it’s just got slowly worse. I can re prime it then it just gets slower and slower till it stops. Anyone know if there are any serviceable parts to pump. Not in van at moment but will have a look in morning and see if I can have it to bits!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst that might explain poor flow at a particular fawcett, it would affect all of the taps equally. It ceratainly wouldn't hurt to check and clean them but the symptoms in this case don't suggest that's the reason for the pump to stop.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It was working then it’s just got slowly worse. I can re prime it then it just gets slower and slower till it stops. Anyone know if there are any serviceable parts to pump. Not in van at moment but will have a look in morning and see if I can have it to bits!
A pump controlled by switched taps should run when ever any of the taps are opened, the fact its happening on both cold and hot taps points to fault with the pump it's self, but some caravans were fitted with a pump control circuit:-

These were designed to try and stop hot/cold surges and some versions also tried to prevent the pump from running when the cold water tank was empty.

If you have one of these fitted it might be playing up. Otherwise it points to a faulty pump.

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
A pump controlled by switched taps should run when ever any of the taps are opened, the fact its happening on both cold and hot taps points to fault with the pump it's self, but some caravans were fitted with a pump control circuit:-

These were designed to try and stop hot/cold surges and some versions also tried to prevent the pump from running when the cold water tank was empty.

If you have one of these fitted it might be playing up. Otherwise it points to a faulty pump.
Many thanks for reply. Seems like a simple enough system,perhaps I’m overlooking something. It draws some water into heater from aqua roll then seems to give up but still whirring. Seems like a blockage somewhere. Might take pipes off between filler and tank. Cheers

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Just a thought, does your inlet on the side of the van have a filter underneath a blue plastic cap about 50mm diameter? Could simply be that is 99% clogged.

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Just a thought, does your inlet on the side of the van have a filter underneath a blue plastic cap about 50mm diameter? Could simply be that is 99% clogged.
No , I can’t see any filter. Will put pump across a battery and into a bucket. This will let me test the water flow. Many thanks

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Inlet doesn’t look like this then
No. It’s a whale inlet. Had pump across battery and into bucket runs fine plenty of power. Bypassed taps both hot and cold and it worked fine Connected taps up worked fine and then slowed down to no flow. It’s a mystery

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
No. It’s a whale inlet. Had pump across battery and into bucket runs fine plenty of power. Bypassed taps both hot and cold and it worked fine Connected taps up worked fine and then slowed down to no flow. It’s a mystery

So we know it is not actually a pump problem, but a water system problem.

Can you clarify what you meant by "bypassed taps" please.

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Took hoses of hot and cold in turn and attached to a hose out of bath room window turned tap on and it ran fine on both for ever (5 minutes). Connected them back up all ok Turned other taps on all good then left off it for awhile then started same thing. Runs slow then stops. Can’t figure it out

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Explore if it is an electrical issue. With van electrics switched off can you contrive to power the pump directly from either the van's battery or another. Set up like that open a tap and wait; with that alternative, electrical power supply, involving none of the van's wiring micro switches etc., is the problem there or not.
The battery, is I trust not on its knees, a water pump is a reasonable load, though you said it runs without a tap fitted okay so looks unlikely. Pump electrical load is far more related to water quantity it shifts than any back pressure it sees.

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Explore if it is an electrical issue. With van electrics switched off can you contrive to power the pump directly from either the van's battery or another. Set up like that open a tap and wait; with that alternative, electrical power supply, involving none of the van's wiring micro switches etc., is the problem there or not.
The battery, is I trust not on its knees, a water pump is a reasonable load, though you said it runs without a tap fitted okay so looks unlikely. Pump electrical load is far more related to water quantity it shifts than any back pressure it sees.
Yeah,as I said earlier tested pump on both caravan battery off system and another battery. Both gave powerful flow with no fading. Micro switches ok both taps brand new. When it fades it makes whirring noise in aqua roll. Next step connect it to pipe nearest to inlet under seat and bypass tank. Many thanks

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
In these dual pump systems is the tank being filled, which can occur if its pump's non-return valve is failing to seat?
Aquaroll pump simply feeding into tank via unseated NRV, rather than pump water uphill to the taps?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts