water system cleaning

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
This is what I ponder..

Whats the best products to use for cleaning the water pipe work in a caravan, also how often...

And once you've cleaned the pipe work with said product, does that mean you're able to use the water for making drinks/cooking without worrying about it.

I normally use Milton Fluid on the Awua Roll, but as yet not in the caravan pipes, just normally have a gallon fresh water container sat on the side in the van..

But if I'm looking at staying on a Full Service pitch, then constantly filling up the small water container going to be such a faff..

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve been caravanning for about 16 years and I run through the caravan pipe work a solution of cleanser that is available in any caravan accessories shop for sterilisation of water systems, lots of vanners never drink water from the taps in a caravan, in 16 years all I’ve done is sterilise the pipe work once and sometimes twice annually and we drink the water with no ill effects at all, we’ve had grandkids holidaying with us from the age of 5 to 15 and they have drunk the water in squash etc and they also have had no ill effects, I think it’s a personal choice, I’m currently on a fully serviced pitch and have no other water supply for anything at all other than what comes out of the taps, 15 days of using the tap water and no ill effects so far.

BP

Reactions: DaveA1

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The water system should be sterilised at the start of the season if the van has been stored over winter.
The usual sterilisers are Milton or Puriclean but if you use Milton do not leave it longer than the instructions on the container, and certainly not overnight.

The water quality in the UK is excellent and like Beehpee I use water from the Aquaroll for everything and in all the years I have been both camping and caravanning have never suffered any ill effects.

The one thing that is important is the water filter if one is fitted.
Unless you like spending money to replace them every 30 days or so, get rid of the filter, they are a breeding ground for all kinds of things you dont want and are totally unnecessary

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve never had a water filter fitted in either of our caravans, first van was probably 10 years old when we bought it and 2nd van around 7 so neither had nice squeaky clean new pipe work and we lived through drinking tap water.

BP

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with the comments above, but I'd add there has been a debate about the use/need for inline water filters in caravans.

Essentially if you only intend to us UK sites, then realistically there is no need for water filter, but if you travel abroad then they may be desirable in some places.

If you caravan has a filter, it may be worth removing the active part of the filter from the cartridge for use in the UK. But by retaining the housing you at least have the option of using a new filter cartridge if you go abroad.

Some people do find the caravans pipes can taint the flavour of the water, so they still prefer to use bottled water for drinks.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
We've been drinking water from the caravan and before that boat for years with no I'll effect. We use puriclean, once a year if using the van frequently and again if it's been standing for a long time unused (like after lockdown).
We don't let water stand in the pipes for weeks but drain the heater and open all the taps before heading home to let the motion drain the water, then run a few litres through when we connect up again.

We do use a filter jug for tea water, but just because we find the chlorine taste in most tap water spoils the tea.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m with those that drink water from the caravan system and use Puriclens to sterilise it after winter storage. Never had any ill effects.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I’m with otherclive on this. Sterilise once a year and drink tap water with no ill effects. We do use a filter jug at home and in the van to get rid of the chlorine taste.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i do it exactly like damian the water system should sterilised at the start of the new season we use Puriclean .
When i am on a service pitch i have adaptor to Aquaroll from the water tap .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We do not use the water through the caravan system for drinking even after it has been through our Brita kettle. When sterilising we prefer to use Puriclean instead of Milton as apparently Milton can stain stainless steel?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
apparently Milton can stain stainless steel?

Used diluted as per the makers instructions Milton is a good steriliser, but, and a very important but, undiluted Milton will not only stain stainless steel, it will eat through it, and with caravan stainless steel not being the top quality metal it can cause irreversable damage.

Also it must never be left longer than 30 minutes before being flushed out of the system with two aquarolls of fresh water.

So, if you use it make sure that you dont spill any in the sink and leave it, flush it away immediately.

Lastly, if you have a water filter, and insist on using one, that must be removed before sterilising and a new one fitted after.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Used diluted as per the makers instructions Milton is a good steriliser, but, and a very important but, undiluted Milton will not only stain stainless steel, it will eat through it, and with caravan stainless steel not being the top quality metal it can cause irreversable damage.

Also it must never be left longer than 30 minutes before being flushed out of the system with two aquarolls of fresh water.

So, if you use it make sure that you dont spill any in the sink and leave it, flush it away immediately.

Lastly, if you have a water filter, and insist on using one, that must be removed before sterilising and a new one fitted after.
Thanks Damien for confirming out concerns. On a previous Lunar caravan we used Puriclean to clean the waste pipes, but not much came out even though we blocked up the outlets for an hour or so. We then used Milton a couple of months later and again blocked up the outlets and this time loads of muck came out. Does Milton have any effect on plastic as the wash basin is plastic. Unfortunately the kitchen sink is stainless steel, but in the previous rejected Buccaneer it was a type of granite basin.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The plastic waste pipes are OK as they are not affected by the Milton, after all it is sold in similar material bottles.
However, I would be very careful with the plastic sink and ensure any Milton went down the plug hole only, and not onto the plastic of the sink as that material is very thin and is easily compromised by any household cleaning medium.

I do believe the makers of the sink, and shower for that matter, only recommend a soap solution for cleaning, and not any of the more "household" type items, such as Cillit Bang, any cream cleaner etc.

One thing that can be used to clean water marks off showers etc is hot water with some vinegar in it, preferably white vinegar as the dark stuff as used in fish and chip shops stinks !!!!

Reactions: DaveA1 and Buckman
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I’m with otherclive on this. Sterilise once a year and drink tap water with no ill effects.
Same here, Through the years, from the foot pump. to the type with the pump on the tap, to todays pumps, have always drank the water from the tap.

I've had this thought over the years, and it may be it's nonsense but, runner fresh water through the system, with the chlorine in it must have a sterilising effect on the system.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017
Visit site

Thanks for that Damian. I actually did mine today with Milton. But only flushed through (completely) with a single aquaroll full.

Genuine question ... Everything’s disconnected and away now, would you suggest I flush through with a second aquaroll full or leave as is, considering we’ll be using the van at the weekend anyway ?

Thanks in advance.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As you are going to use the van in a couple of days, and that you have flushed it out, I would leave it.
The chances of causing any damage is minimal with what you have already done.

Reactions: Icaru5

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts