Waterworks problem

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We seem to have developed a problem with our waterworks.
All seems well when just running cold tap(s), but when using hot water, pressure drops after a minute or so and the stops all together. At this point even the cold tap won’t work. Although the red bar is still lit suggesting the pump is still running, and a whining noise can be heard from the pump in the aqua roll.
Felt sure it was a problem with the Whale Watermaster inlet, which includes an integral pressure switch. Fitted a new one today and all was well for a few minutes, but then back to same old problem.
Don’t think it’s a pump problem as we’ve tried spare pump with same results.
We’ve been living in the van full time for 18 months whilst completing a self build house and had some limescale problems, but otherwise our Bailey Pegasus Bologna has served us well.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi John, just a thought, check the filters in the taps, on the end or them, they unscrew and get filled with "Crud".. with the hot tap on first the heat build up increases the pressure then depleates. And then water comes through.
Hopefully.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Possibly ...
Go to where your pump gets dropped into aqua roll and make sure it hasn't curled round to the top and is sucking air which is what happened to me the other week. I rang the garage to find out & they told me I am not the first one ! :blush:
I felt like a right plank, stretch out your submersible pump which you drop in the roll and make sure it does not curl round to the top sucking air .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John,

Your reported symptoms are something of a mystery. There would be no harm in checking the tap filters as EH52ARH suggests but I don't think that is the cause of your problem as water does pass.

You tell us you have changed the pump and pressure switch, and the symptoms remain so it tends to discount either of those.

Craigs suggestion is possible and the symptoms do suggest an air lock but I presume you have been using it in the same way for for some time without problems, so you would be familiar with the pump usage and especially priming it.

But just for information, its possible to get an air lock in the pump when you change water barrels. to make sure you eliminate the possibility, when you take the pump out of the barrel also unplug the the pump assembly from the caravan. When you are ready to start again drop the pump into the barrel a couple of seconds before you reconnect to the caravan. This will allow the water to fully flood the pump body and clear any air lock in the pump.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Any chance there is a jammed non-return valve on the hot side? If you enter 'caravan water non return valve' into ebay both whale and truma types are illustrated to give you an idea of what it might look like.
In response to the tap spout filters blocked - always worth cleaning them out a few times a year - but this would effect the running of both hot and cold. I had this difficulty the first season with my van - the dealer didn't laugh but kindly demonstrated how to dismantle the tap spout and 'blow through' the debris. Actually i think the debris may be bits out of the water filter as they were black and gritty like bits of carbon!
Good luck with your repair!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just looking at this from a different tack, and wondering if heat is the issue. Could it be that one of the pipes is a tad out of shape and kinking as it gets hot?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I’ve gone through all of the above options but no permanent fix found yet.
Living in a hard water area (Cambridgeshire), we’ve had to de scale the system three times in 18 months so I’m wondering if maybe the limescale in the water heater is so bad that it occasionally blocks the flow?
Will try some Scale Away and see if that does the trick!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Following on from audiorob, also check and clean the yellow drain tap. They can gunge up and will leak which may then cause the pressure drop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts