WC Chemicals

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Just coming to the end of our two bottles of elsan chemicals that we got when we first started out - and was wondering what everyone uses in their toilets - and what's best and are the granulated ones worth the money (as they seem a bit pricey) - so don't be shy ! Whats in yours !

The elsan stuff seems to go a long way (double concentrate) - the rinse is a bit too smelly for my liking and the blue toilet fluid is really gloopy - and stains really badly.

Seems to work okay though and is (if memory serves) fairly cheap.

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
For years we used Thetfords pink and blue toilet chemicals, but last year we noticed that when we flushed the toilet we were getting large black deposits with the flush. The caravan club done an article on this matter and said that Thetfords made a special tank cleaner to clear the tank as they were aware of the problem.

We were advised to use the elsan twin pack, as you do not get the build of gunge. We have used elsan now for 12months and have never had any problems. We have tried various chemicals and I would personally recommend Elsan everytime.

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Sorry I should clarify a bit - I've not had any issues with the elsan chemicals - just want to know what's the best - and the blue stuff only stains if you drop it somewhere it shouldn't be (ie carpet etc).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We used Thetfords also,but got fed up with the black bits constantly reappearing even after treatment.We have now gone on to Fenwicks Top & Tail......you can use it for the top ( rinse tank )and the cassette which saves carrying two products.

All in all we like Fenwicks products and use their caravan cleaner also.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Agree with RogerL, although the Thetford AquaKem Blue and similar products are very efficient - the formaldehyde they contain poisons modern septic tanks that use a "biological" control.

The use of AquaKem Green or a similar biological based product is a requirement in many European camp-sites - most having gone over to a formaldehyde free regime several years ago - but it's just not as effective, doesn't last as long, and you need to understand that.

Robert

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We prefer the Elsan and will stick with it as long as possible as we think the Thetford is a waste of money as it does not do the job as well as Elsan.

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael

Posted this in an earlier thread about a new range of chemicals called Kemdirect. Which is a granular biodegradable product for use top and bottom so no more two bottles of fluid. But the great benefit is that it has no smell or dye and so no staining of fingers and toilet.

This means that you get no chemical smell in the caravan and the contents are broken down so when you pour away you get no waste, matter or paper if used correctly. If you want a smell in your toilet you can put a block in like in your bathroom in the house and a smell you like.

It can be disposed off easily into an ordinary toilet as there is no dye and there should only be coloured water.

You can empty into septic tanks as it is one of the most biodegradable on the market.

It is beter than the green and Hans should know he helped develop the fluids!

Hope this helps you to find a suitable one.

Joyce

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thetford Aqua-Kem Blue has been formaldehyde-free for a couple of years when the formulation changed. Aqua-Kem Green has always been formaldehyde-free.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
On a slightly different track, I understood the green fluids had a tendency to clog the sh*t up into one huge brick rather than break it down.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We used Thetford AquaKem Green for years and didn't have any problem with "clogging" but it's not quite as effective at masking smells as AquaKem Blue.

When the formulation for AquaKem Blue was changed to exclude formaldehyde we back changed to that - I don't understand why Thetford continues to produce two non-formaldehyde chemicals, they might as well drop Green, in my opinion, as Blue is now just as environmentally-friendly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts